Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Casting Call in Bay of Plenty Times
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 14 2010, 6:34pm

Post #1 of 37 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Casting Call in Bay of Plenty Times Can't Post

An anonymous Ringer sends in this heads up about a Hobbit casting call in Tauranga, New Zealand:
The Bay of Plenty Times (Tauranga's regional newspaper) had an ad in the weekend edition's classifieds. It was an official casting call for The Hobbit, asking for men under 5'7" and women under 5'2", for filming in Matamata in early 2011. They said they will be in Tauranga on Wed 24th Nov between 2 and 4pm at the Queen Elizabeth Youth Centre, cnr Devonport Rd and 11th Ave. Gutted that I'm 5'9"!

If anyone can scan the ad, please send it our way! [Contact TORn] [Map of Location]

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 14 2010, 11:59pm

Post #2 of 37 (838 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

It has begun. Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2010, 12:17am

Post #3 of 37 (830 views)
Shortcut
for curiousity [In reply to] Can't Post

I´m from Spain and the measurement system it´s not the same so , in meters how it makes 5´9 foot? for example, just for curiousity

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 12:22am

Post #4 of 37 (806 views)
Shortcut
5'9'' = 175cm. [In reply to] Can't Post

5'7'' = 170cm

5'2'' = 157cm.

I used this online converter.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2010, 12:26am

Post #5 of 37 (802 views)
Shortcut
thank you!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you very much!!! I´m 1´69 but I´m in te other side of the world!!!

GBYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexis

Nov 15 2010, 2:03am

Post #6 of 37 (809 views)
Shortcut
Darn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss out by 3 centimetres!! So close!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 15 2010, 2:13am)

arimala

Nov 15 2010, 2:39am

Post #7 of 37 (783 views)
Shortcut
Non-NZers? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering - given the previous statement regarding people outside of NZ sending things in (ie - stop) - if people think it would be worth turning up if you happen to be a short Australian. c.c

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 15 2010, 2:46am

Post #8 of 37 (755 views)
Shortcut
Slouch...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 2:56am

Post #9 of 37 (763 views)
Shortcut
There's good information in the sticky at the top of the board, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll repost the relevant bit here:

1.5. How do I get cast as an extra in the movies?
The only way to become an extra in the films is to be *in* New Zealand at the time casting calls go out (and specifically *in* the city in which they need extras on the days announcements are made) and either be a citizen of New Zealand or possess a New Zealand work permit. Calls for extras will occur much the same as they did for LOTR: ads will be published in local papers and broadcast on local radio stations and you will have to be available to work within 24-48 hours. So, unless you’re ready, willing and able to move to New Zealand for two years, happen to be in the right place at the right time and are fully documented to work there, you’re out of luck. (Note: tourist visas to New Zealand are currently valid for 90 days. A number of countries have working holiday visa schemes with New Zealand; they are generally valid for 12 months and allow you to work for up to three months at a time; you also have to be aged between 18 and 30 to be eligible. See Immigration NZ for details).

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 2:57am

Post #10 of 37 (726 views)
Shortcut
*snert* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

arimala

Nov 15 2010, 3:01am

Post #11 of 37 (728 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, thank you very much for that! :)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 5:58am

Post #12 of 37 (775 views)
Shortcut
I'm 5'5... [In reply to] Can't Post

... WAH! I wish I was in NZ Frown

ricster
The Shire

Nov 15 2010, 1:51pm

Post #13 of 37 (690 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits (in scale to Dwarves) [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves are a bit taller than Hobbits, and I remember the extras for Fellowship pointing out how handy it was that Davies was taller than the other hobbit actors already, meaning they only had two scales to work in (rather than 3!).

Martin Freeman is 5 foot 6 1/2. Presumably any of the Dwarf cast that are not quite tall enough can wear lifts

Chiticot
The Shire

Nov 15 2010, 2:45pm

Post #14 of 37 (682 views)
Shortcut
150 cm [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'm 150 cm but I live in Europe... I wish I'd live in NZ Frown

"For death and glory..."

overlithe64
Rivendell

Nov 15 2010, 3:59pm

Post #15 of 37 (647 views)
Shortcut
:( not in NZ either [In reply to] Can't Post

then I am a half inch too tall to be a hobbit chick? First time I have ever been too tall for anything...at 5foot2.5 even Elijah Wood seemed tall to me...

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 15 2010, 5:27pm

Post #16 of 37 (621 views)
Shortcut
180 cm and 27-28 hours away with flight, not my lucky day! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

R4W13Y
Bree

Nov 15 2010, 5:43pm

Post #17 of 37 (625 views)
Shortcut
I'm 5' :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to go to uni in Australia. When I graduated I moved to the states to get my clinical doctorate. Sigh. If only I was there one more year and I would have been applying!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 7:02pm

Post #18 of 37 (607 views)
Shortcut
an inch too tall [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well, that's OK, I'm not in New Zealand anyhow. I do have a friend who just flew down there and he's definitely the right height in the male category, but he may not be near Tauranga on that date. Then again, I wouldn't put it past him to change his entire schedule to fit this date in. ;-)

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 16 2010, 3:45am

Post #19 of 37 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Casting calls [In reply to] Can't Post

Three casting calls have gone out today

One for Hamilton on the 23rd November

One for Matamata-Piako, Waikato on the 24th November

One for Tauranga on the 24th November

Essential requirements:
  • Men and Women aged 17-80 years who also meet the additional requirements below...
  • Men: MUST be UNDER 170cm (5 foot 7 inches)
  • Women: Should have light skin tones and be UNDER 158cm (5 foot 2 inches)
  • You MUST be prepared to be available at short notice Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Tauranga and Hamilton are in the same geographic area in the upper north island as Matamata, so it looks as if this is a wide casting call for 'Hobbit's' in particular

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 16 2010, 3:48am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 16 2010, 4:53am

Post #20 of 37 (606 views)
Shortcut
Auckland now on the list. [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out the Trademe page.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 7:21am

Post #21 of 37 (567 views)
Shortcut
Only Hobbiton? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great, but I also would have hoped for a casting call to Rivendell (forgot the name of the village... isnt it a park or something) and Laketown

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 7:25am

Post #22 of 37 (548 views)
Shortcut
Isnt also some law "NZers go first". [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I understand that law, it certainly don't exist a similar one where I live.

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 16 2010, 7:30am

Post #23 of 37 (582 views)
Shortcut
Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

No it doesnt appear they are casting for the Rivendell or Laketown scenes yet or the bulk of extras for the BOFA.
I am sure they will cast for those in the next month or so.

Yes there is a law (or so i have heard) that any work on NZ productions must be filled by New Zealanders. Foreigners are only considered if there arent NZ'ers suitable for a position,
and there is definitely no shortage of people wanting to become extras over here in NZ, If anything they will probably have to turn some of the thousands of NZ'ers away.
In addition I understand our work permits are difficult to get, particularly on short notice, so it doesnt look good for anyone outside of NZ becoming an Extra.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 16 2010, 7:37am)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 16 2010, 7:35am

Post #24 of 37 (548 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

it's very hard for any foreigner who comes there to get some work to actually get one.

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 16 2010, 7:42am

Post #25 of 37 (553 views)
Shortcut
Foreign workers [In reply to] Can't Post

We do have a lot of foreigners working in NZ on work permits. I understand that thousands come over to pick fruit around the country.
They are let in because there is a huge demand for employment in that field, and a lack of Kiwis wanting to undertake that type of seasonal rural work.
On the other hand, there are a lot of Kiwis in the urban areas who are available and keen on working in the NZ film industry.
So it just depends on what the work is really. Because of the Hobbits profile and the prestige of working in the NZ film industry and because we have a
population of around 4 or 5 million (most of whom live in urban areas), i think they will be inundated by Kiwis eager to take part.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 16 2010, 7:50am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.