Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to our 5th annual Homecoming Fiesta Friday!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 12 2010, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 399 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to our 5th annual Homecoming Fiesta Friday!! Can't Post

It’s time again for that special Fiesta we hold each year to welcome back TORn alumni, celebrate the folks who are regulars here (new and old) and possibly even lure out a lurker or two *looks through screen* You know who you are! LoL! Laugh

As is appropriate during homecoming celebrations, I took a look at past homecoming threads and had a few chuckles at where we were and where we’ve come over the past four years. It’s been quite a ride! So, I put together a little retrospective below for a quick walk down memory lane.

We also had a very special announcement yesterday on the Feedback board that I wanted to repeat here: the board Admins are pleased and excited to welcome three new members to our ranks:

dernwyn Heart

Earl Heart

entmaiden Heart

We know they’ll do a great job and we also know you’ll all be extra easy on them as they learn the ropes. Wink

Since we have much to celebrate, we’d better get this party started! We’ve set out our best hors d’ouevres, put up our best decorations and, of course, stocked up on only the best virtual libations just for this very occasion. So enjoy!

*kicks juke box* the Welcome Back Kotter theme starts to play

Enjoy Fiesta and don’t you alumni and lurkers be strangers. Stick around and join in the anticipation of The Hobbit, and all the exciting things we'll have to celebrate next year!!

Homecoming Fiesta Retrospective:
Homecoming Fiesta threads started in the last year of the first age of the message boards (a few months before the new boards came to be in February 2007). Board members took a vote and decided early- to mid-November would be a good time to have it because there aren’t any major holidays or Tolkien milestones around this time of year.

Sadly, we don’t get as many oldies as we used to because some of the oldies who used to alert other oldies have also sailed to the west. However, they all continue to be welcome here whether it be at Homecoming Fiesta time or any other time throughout the year.

2006 (1st Homecoming Fiesta): thread gets so big it crashes the boards. A 2nd thread is necessary to free things up. In Home Page news, there were rumors MGM was in talks with Peter Jackson to make two Hobbit movies. The Two Towers complete recordings were released.

2007 (2nd annual Homecoming): Fisrt Homecoming Fiesta on the new boards. The Home Page had also been updated after a major crash lasting several days. In Home Page news, the feud between New Line and PJ was delaying Hobbit talks. ROTK Complete recordings were released.

2008 (3rd annual Homecoming): By this Homecoming, we ‘knew’ PJ would produce The Hobbit and Guillermo Del Toro would direct, the Hobbit Movie board was new and the boards were approaching 3,000 new members.

2009 (4th annual Homecoming): FOTR at Radio City; Bilbo casting rumors abounded on the internet; Ian McKellen announced he has read the script for The Hobbit, and we were all looking forward to filming starting in the spring of 2010.

2010 (5th annual Homecoming): Del Toro is out and Jackson is *back* in. A number of major roles have been cast. The boards, especially the Hobbit board, are hopping, getting up to over 800 posts per day overall at times. The boards surpass 5500 registered users.

Here’s to looking forward to Homecoming 2011!!!

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 12 2010, 6:46pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 399 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Huzzah! [In reply to] Can't Post

And congratulations to your new ranks, dernwyn, entmaiden and earl! Smile

I was wondering when todays fiesta friday thread would pop up.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 12 2010, 5:10pm

Post #3 of 399 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Times are a bit off with daylight savings changes around the globe [In reply to] Can't Post

*checks watch*

Whew! Yes, this is the right time. Don't scare me like that, macfalk. Laugh

I hope you have a great weekend whatever your plans.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 399 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Finished a painting :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly- COME OUT COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE, LURKERS. Don't be shy! Share a nice cold glass of orange juice with me :D

Secondly, I am stupidly proud of this painting I finished. I did not know that I could use acrylics in this way. So here's my Girl With a Pearl Earring Combined With the Venus De Milo. WARNING: The Venus De Milo is the infamous Greek statue with the missing arms. Like basically every other Greek statue, she's also topless. So keep that in mind before you clicky.

Err, anyways, would love to know what you guys think.

This weekend is filled with some schoolwork, and a lot of artwork that I want to finish up. My art muse has been alive and kicking :D

And as I mentioned on the other forum, congrats to the new admins! You guys totally deserve it.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 399 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday -- and Welcome back to Oldsters and Welcome to Newbies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think that today means Champagne is in order! Enough for all who want it, please!!!

It is a beautiful fall day today. I guess we finally got last week's that you in the west enjoyed!

Not much going on in our lives. My big event coming up is that my daughter is coming to visit on Sunday. This will be her last visit until spring. She doesn't like to drive so far in the winter because of the likelyhood of snow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and a great week next week.!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 399 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Hello Tornsibs old and new [In reply to] Can't Post

I seldom get to Fiesta because it's a horrible time of day for me at work, but I'm taking a mental health day today, and here I am! A beautiful foggy fall day in my neck of the woods, and I'm going out to rake leaves this afternoon.

Congratulations to dernwyn, earl and Entmaiden on your new status! I know you'll be worthy of the tradition of past admins, although they are big shoes to fill.

What's on tap today? Send over one of those hobbits with whatever you've got...

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 399 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Homecoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, good -- instead of running errands today, I'm, well, homestaying, so can join in.

Welcome back, oldies! Welcome, newbies! Affectionate greetings to everyone one in between! And thank you dernwyn, entmaiden, and Earl, for agreeing to keep an eye on this little Shire tucked away in the wilds of the Internet.

It's dark and rainy here. I think Irish coffee would be in order -- with lots of whipped cream.

Cheers all around!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 399 (1620 views)
Shortcut
I'll salute the oldies and the newbie admins with a Leinie's Honeyweiss, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM is in talks with Peter Jackson to make two Hobbit movies! Sooooo, cooooool! I can't wait!

Errrr, ummmm, yeah.

Notta

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 399 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I admire people who can handle paints, or even pencil and paper, and end up with something recognizable, let alone very attractive. Good to hear your art muse is up and kicking. Muses can be very fickle. Tongue

Have a great weekend!

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 399 (1580 views)
Shortcut
Love your painting [In reply to] Can't Post

Even without the title the subjects of the appropriation are obvious - but you've made something your own with them. What made you decide on those particular two subjects, or is the combination intended to evoke a particular theme?

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 399 (1587 views)
Shortcut
You too, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, the muses are ridiculously fickle; they were all but dead a couple months ago. Now they are running in overtime. Gotta love it. XD

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #12 of 399 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!! Announcements and a Mathom :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*waves fondly to ALL*

WOW!!!

Three new Admins sitting on the boards
Do their best to mind the hoards!
Are they yummie? Are they great?
Geez, fersher... they're all top rate!!

Congratulations sibbies... SO greatly deserved :D

This is a great retro, Altaira! Wonderful!!

And a toast to our wayward sibbies who still shine brightly here! It's so great to see you all!! *scans screen* Come on out... you know you want to ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Mar
Gondor

Post #13 of 399 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Yay!! I made it! Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear dear sibs - I have missed you all these past few months of my absence. But no way would I miss today! So many years of camaraderie, so many laughs and special moments shared. Cheers ! Congrats ! Welcome to all the newbies. I brought an endless supply of my home-made ginger pecan white chocolate biscotti to dip in whatever you are drinking. Let the games begin! I'll have a mug of decaf with plenty of cream thank you very much. (((Hugs)))

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

RosieLass
Valinor

Post #14 of 399 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Hurray, welcome back, and congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Does that cover everything? LOL!)

It doesn't seem like the new boards have been around long enough this to be the 4th Homecoming at the new digs. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

I am feeling a bit of déjà vu over all the Hobbit movie news. I well remember the alarms and palpitations we all went through as the LOTR casting was announced, and as each new plot rumor surfaced, oh so many years ago. (Has it really been more than a decade? Sheesh!)

It's very exciting, and I'm already planning to take the day off work to see the Hobbit on opening day. (But not the midnight showing...I'm too old for that. Laugh)

Anyway, have a great weekend, everyone! Let's see if we can bring the boards down again! Evil

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Post #15 of 399 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Not so beautiful here, alas [In reply to] Can't Post

But we've had quite a string of lovely weather, so it's time for some rain. The leaves are finally starting to turn here in North Texas -- it takes a while, it seems, for our trees to make up their minds to retire for the winter. Our bur oaks, Treebeard and Quickbeam, are golden, very pretty.

Enjoy your daughter's visit. I wouldn't want to drive in the snow, either!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:19pm

Post #16 of 399 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Mental health days are necessary [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy yours -- and I hope the hobbits send over the best from the Green Dragon.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 5:19pm

Post #17 of 399 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Great little rhyme! [In reply to] Can't Post

How long did it take you to come up with it? I can never rhyme quickly, though my dad can come up with rhymes in a heartbeat. Love the fireworks!

Have a great weekend, gramma :D

Photobucket

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2010, 5:20pm

Post #18 of 399 (1584 views)
Shortcut
good afternoon, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

How's things in your neck of the woods? Can't complain, here.
(love the little poem)

Mar
Gondor

Post #19 of 399 (1589 views)
Shortcut
Well met old friend [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you made it too!

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

Altaira
Superuser

Post #20 of 399 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the accomplishment, Ainu! [In reply to] Can't Post

The piccie is being blocked by my current client's server, so I'll look at it later when I get home. Blush I can't wait to see it though. I'm sure it's gorgeous!

Happy weekend, dear!

TORn Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Post #21 of 399 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit movies? Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
Have a great weekend, Notta -- read some good books while you're at it!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:22pm

Post #22 of 399 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Hey, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the mathom -- they're all top rate, why yes, they are.

You, too, have a great weekend.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Post #23 of 399 (1582 views)
Shortcut
You just reach that point [In reply to] Can't Post

when you've had it up to here! Since there were no pressing things on the calendar, I thought staying home to start the weekend early was the better part of discretion. And it's probably one of the last indian summer days here; the cat and I are looking out the window at the pretty leaves on the ground and waiting for the fog to burn off.

Mar
Gondor

Post #24 of 399 (1577 views)
Shortcut
You always have something great up your sleeve [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to be here on this auspicious day! I've missed you grammma.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Post #25 of 399 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to the new admins! [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels good to have so many terrific people watching out for us!

It was my daughter's birthday yesterday so we had big dinner at our house. I got a huge prime rib roast that I hardly had any of, since everyone but me likes it rare and bloody. Sorry, not my thing at all, if I have to eat meat I like it to be dead first. But there was lots of other stuff so I didn't miss out. But I am making soup with the leftovers, so it's all good. We had a lively and happy time.

Sun's out today, but rain's coming again tomorrow. It's still quite warm for this time of year, so it looks like we won't get the snow that La Nina brings until January, maybe, which is normal for us.

A very hot chai latte would go down a treat today, Altaira, thanks!

Happy weekend, everyone.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.