Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Congratulations are in order for our newly-appointed Forum Admins!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 1:52am

Post #1 of 65 (802 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations are in order for our newly-appointed Forum Admins! Can't Post

With the inundation of activity surrounding the recent announcements about The Hobbit, and due to the natural attrition over time of Admins (I, for one, am not nearly so active on tOR.N as I used to be), we've selected a few more to don the Admin Hat, with the blessings of TPTB. So hearty congratulations are in order for:

dernwyn
Earl
entmaiden

We (I and the other admins) hope everyone will help them feel welcome in their new role on the site. As one who went through the same process at one point in time, I can say it can feel a bit daunting at times, but, like new shoes, one can break in the role until it's comfortable and familiar. Anyone who actively campaigns for being an admin probably is a little touched in the brain (or to borrow a line from Frodo, they seem fairer, but feel fouler), but we're grateful to those who, when asked, take on the duty of guarding our little corner of the internet from Troll invasions (we poor rangers who seem foul and feel fair). ;)

We don't add new admins very often (this is, in fact, the third round since the founding of tOR.N), but for the curious, the process runs along these lines: existing admins put forth some candidates, and narrow it down to a few choices-- not just for their ability to be level-headed and helpful, but also with consideration for the times of day they usually post. We try to maintain coverage 24 hours a day (and having a pair of Kiwi Admins helps immensely in this regard), so that problems can be addressed with the least amount of waiting. After the 'short list' is finalized, the admins send it to TPTB for approval.

Again, welcome to the new Forum Admins! Three Cheers! Praise them with Great Praise!

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 2:16am

Post #2 of 65 (520 views)
Shortcut
Great praise indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome dernwyn, Earl and entmaiden! We'll have the Admin hats waiting for you to don (Earl's is the one without the feathers) and I'll line up a few drinks for you at the Fiesta bar tomorrow. :)

we poor rangers who seem foul and feel fair).

I suppose that's better than seeming fowl and feeling fear...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 2:41am

Post #3 of 65 (522 views)
Shortcut
Uh-oh - they all seem fair to me! What does that mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats, or sympathies, whichever is the most appropriate.

I'm off to post some spam.....

Notta

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 12 2010, 2:51am

Post #4 of 65 (540 views)
Shortcut
Three cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

One each for entmaiden, Earl and dernwyn! LaughHeartSmile

We know you'll each do a fantastic job. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

squire
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 3:10am

Post #5 of 65 (545 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats to all three, and thanks to TORn again for running the best-administered boards on the internet.

Hmm. I think I know just how to drive these guys nuts their first week...

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 3:19am

Post #6 of 65 (513 views)
Shortcut
Smilies for everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

You might think you can drive us nuts, but we have smilies, and we're not reluctant to use them Cool

Thanks, squire Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 3:51am

Post #7 of 65 (515 views)
Shortcut
Noooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

*imagines constant harassment regarding the next chapter of BotR* Really! I am working on it! Crazy

Well, just be careful, whatever you do...you know we're not quite "experts" at using our new "powers" yet, and we could get things mixed up just a teensy bit...hee hee hee...

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 3:53am

Post #8 of 65 (501 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

We do have excellent instructors, you know...we'll be learning from the best! Wink

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 3:56am

Post #9 of 65 (513 views)
Shortcut
*looks for [In reply to] Can't Post

"Spam" button*...I think it's this one labelled "Fried or Baked?"...Wink

Thanks, Notta! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 3:59am

Post #10 of 65 (513 views)
Shortcut
Feathered hats? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those will really make us feel "fowl"! Laugh

The "seeming fowl and feeling fear" comes later this month, around the fourth Thursday, particularly to large gobbling birds...Wink

Thank you for the welcome! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 12 2010, 4:01am

Post #11 of 65 (511 views)
Shortcut
I think these three are just perfect for the position [In reply to] Can't Post

I might say congratulations but I suspect you'll be hopping pretty hard at times in this role. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 4:07am

Post #12 of 65 (509 views)
Shortcut
Won't be a problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we've got terrific backup! Wink

Thanks, Magpie! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 12 2010, 5:01am

Post #13 of 65 (514 views)
Shortcut
Reinforcements? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just when we had you guys on the ropes....

Congrats, and "Forth the Three Hunters!" May they dispatch many trolls.

NARFOT since 1967.

NARFOP since 2001.

I'm NARFOB and I'm proud!!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:04am

Post #14 of 65 (514 views)
Shortcut
Congrats all! And we will try to make yor job as easy as possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Lessee: How much all-caps typing, and how many duplicate threads, crossed threads and gigantic pictures can I post in the next 5 minutes! Ah, and does anyone want to buy all the discount violin strings I just bought in Nigeria?AngelicEvil)

May your task be easy!

Here's some help:

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 5:23am

Post #15 of 65 (523 views)
Shortcut
Good luck to them! [In reply to] Can't Post

And congratulations.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien’s life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 7:30am

Post #16 of 65 (516 views)
Shortcut
Abusing your authority already? [In reply to] Can't Post

Help, help, I'm being oppressed!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien’s life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 7:57am

Post #17 of 65 (485 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations and thanks to all of you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 8:04am

Post #18 of 65 (528 views)
Shortcut
*reaches for the 'Ni!' button* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sador
Half-elven

Nov 12 2010, 9:35am

Post #19 of 65 (496 views)
Shortcut
Eglerio! [In reply to] Can't Post

Um... was that correct? Crazy

Anyway - thank as usual, and now for choosing just the right people to abuse the authority keep up the good work!

"Welcome, and well met!" - Gloin.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back! Please join us in the Reading Room.

"Villains in Tolkien continually violate the Evil Overlord list. Even the Balrog does it. Okay, everyone, on the count of three: one - two - three: I WILL NOT TURN INTO A SNAKE. IT NEVER HELPS."
- Beren IV.

(This post was edited by sador on Nov 12 2010, 9:36am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2010, 10:04am

Post #20 of 65 (572 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the congratulations everyone... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'll admit I'm as scared as I'm excited, but there's so many of you here providing support and encouragement, it does serve to push up the excitement a notch and allay the fears a little.

And here's a congratulations to dernwyn and entmaiden too! Cheers! Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 2:14pm

Post #21 of 65 (488 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hooo!! Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Y'all must really be into pain...Crazy

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 2:16pm

Post #22 of 65 (498 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Notta's touching me! And he's on my side of the interwebs!! [In reply to] Can't Post

deeerrrrnnwyyyynnn!!!

Eaaarrrll!!

eeennnntmaiiiideennnn!

Make him stop!

EvilAngelic

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 2:43pm

Post #23 of 65 (510 views)
Shortcut
AM NOT!! PTbtpbtpPTBB! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it interesting that that the PTB and the rasberry noise use the same letters....? Hmmm.

Oh, and SHE started it! Evil

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 12 2010, 2:45pm

Post #24 of 65 (495 views)
Shortcut
Just as long as it's not the fried and coated in cheetos button - that could get messy. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2010, 2:47pm

Post #25 of 65 (484 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot think of names any better-- I know I could not do such a job that would require such finesse and patience. Congratulations!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.