Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's the Weekly Caption Contest!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

LiJuun
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 5:21am

Post #1 of 62 (644 views)
Shortcut
It's the Weekly Caption Contest! Can't Post

I haven't been here much. OK, hardly at all. I'm really swamped with work, and it's going to take me some time to accept and get used to these new boards. I miss you guys so much, and it nearly made me cry when I saw that gramma had started a pants thread (bless her!) over at the old place. I'm having more trouble than I expected getting over it, but I will make an effort, because I love you guys so much!

Anyway, since I haven't been around, I'm not sure if we're still doing weekly threads like we used to. I'm going to try to spend some time here this weekend and see if there is any new protocol, but in the meantime I'm just going to plow ahead like I always have done. Once again, however, I'm using a pic that I have no idea who submitted. Probably Linners or Alassea Eruvande or Hot Water Nobility, but I can't really be sure which one it was. It's nice to know that some things never change, though, isn't it? Wink But I am trying to remember to always record who sent in the pic, though. I'm running low on pics, everyone, so send me your submissions! Anyway, I give you this week's submission for the Caption Contest:

Return of the Punspace:
Coup de grace -- French for lawnmower
(You can thank Aerlinn for that.)

squire
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 5:36am

Post #2 of 62 (324 views)
Shortcut
The Elves had not forgotten their old alliance -- but they HAD forgotten to bring enough shampoo for everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 5:37am

Post #3 of 62 (353 views)
Shortcut
"The boys all resented having their battle on the playground interrupted for the class picture." [In reply to] Can't Post

(((LiJuun))) Welcome to the new boards! (I know this isn't your first post, but I didn't greet you before.) They look a bit intimidating at first, but they're really quite easy to get used to. I know it's a hard adjustment, though, especially for those of us who really loved the creaky old format. I'm one of them! Give it a little time and you'll settle in fine. And don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it, either on Feedback or via Private Message.

As far as new protocol, except that we've added a couple of new areas, we want all traditions and such to carry on as usual. So definitely weekly threads should continue!

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 6:14am

Post #4 of 62 (290 views)
Shortcut
Everyone was made to stand on the naughty step until the cookie thief owned up. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 7:23am

Post #5 of 62 (307 views)
Shortcut
Now boys, that's not how you play monkey in the middle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 7:25am

Post #6 of 62 (292 views)
Shortcut
We are the Knights who say, "Neeeee!" [In reply to] Can't Post

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 7:49am

Post #7 of 62 (288 views)
Shortcut
Gimli: Hey, Leggy. Could you get me another box? [In reply to] Can't Post

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

Elven
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 8:04am

Post #8 of 62 (283 views)
Shortcut
... looks at the 'bender' in the corner .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden: "Stew"?
Aragorn: "Yep".

(This post was edited by Elven on Feb 22 2007, 8:10am)

hot water nobility

Feb 22 2007, 8:12am

Post #9 of 62 (316 views)
Shortcut
Viggo: "Come on, it's just a severed hand! All we need is some superglue. Let's finish this scene..." [In reply to] Can't Post

My first post. Angelic (But I wasn't the photo-submitter this time.)

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 22 2007, 8:55am

Post #10 of 62 (299 views)
Shortcut
Theoden was slightly irked that Denethor wouldn't let his friends attend Boromir's 21st birthday party (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 9:40am

Post #11 of 62 (272 views)
Shortcut
{{LiJuun}} The Ice Cream line waits patiently as Helm digs at the hard tub of Rocky Road. [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 9:57am

Post #12 of 62 (283 views)
Shortcut
Typical. Kings and wannabees posing for cameras causes a traffic jam. [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Feb 22 2007, 10:13am

Post #13 of 62 (304 views)
Shortcut
The new 'short back and sides for hygiene' haircut rule was not universally welcomed in Helm's deep [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 12:20pm

Post #14 of 62 (263 views)
Shortcut
Waiting for the first pot of coffee to brew takes a great deal of patience. (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 1:32pm

Post #15 of 62 (257 views)
Shortcut
alright, beauty contestants... [In reply to] Can't Post

...remember how we practised walking down the stairs. now, one at a time...

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

(This post was edited by mawguy on Feb 22 2007, 1:32pm)

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 1:39pm

Post #16 of 62 (262 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the foul smell of the Uruk-hai was not alone in breaching the walls of Helms Deep! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m226/Shadowfaxfan/undying6tealsmallsignaturefinallall.png

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 1:51pm

Post #17 of 62 (253 views)
Shortcut
If you want to make the Hobbit without PJ, you're gonna have to get past US! \ [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 2:10pm

Post #18 of 62 (242 views)
Shortcut
The Rohan University Glee Club wasn't very. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"That's not right! That's not even wrong!!"
-Wolfgang Pauli after seeing TTT

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 22 2007, 2:11pm)

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 2:12pm

Post #19 of 62 (261 views)
Shortcut
As Eowyn showered before the battle, the men of Rohan fell silent. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin

(This post was edited by Owlyross on Feb 22 2007, 2:14pm)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2007, 2:40pm

Post #20 of 62 (257 views)
Shortcut
More French punnery: [In reply to] Can't Post

J'accuse -- I am sitting in a whirlpool bath.

Fight for us! And regain your honor, learn valuable technical skills, and qualify for up to four years' college tuition! What say you?

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 2:47pm

Post #21 of 62 (230 views)
Shortcut
"Okay, who's first? I'll take the guy in the brown dress."/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 62 (236 views)
Shortcut
*high five!* [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 3:50pm

Post #23 of 62 (268 views)
Shortcut
The latest group of applicants for Middle Earth's Top Model didn't look too promising./NT [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 3:56pm

Post #24 of 62 (258 views)
Shortcut
Simon Says look dour...Simon Says put your hands at your sides...GOTCHA Aragorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Snark: It's what's for dinner.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 3:59pm

Post #25 of 62 (229 views)
Shortcut
It took 23 group photo attempts before Hadlof finally stopped making "rabbit ears" behind Gimli's head [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.