Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tom
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 7:19pm

Post #1 of 31 (575 views)
Shortcut
Tom Can't Post

I know Tom Bombardil is not in The Hobbit and is only in The LOTR but couldn't his character some how be put in The Hobbit for it would just say how large middle earth is. While you may not see people in lotr but yet can see them in the HObbit.
BUt Beorn sounds like a Tomish character In The Hobbit. Just think it be cool if Bilbo met Tom and we just see that Bilbo had friends other then Elrond and Gandalf.

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2010, 7:30pm

Post #2 of 31 (298 views)
Shortcut
Not really interested [In reply to] Can't Post

Because his inclusion would ultimately serve no point in the overall plot of the film, without it straying deep into fan fiction territory.

It'd be a cool little nod, sure, but I'd rather they stay focused on details that actually pertain to The Hobbit, instead of dwelling on missed LoTR opportunities. But that may just be me.

(This post was edited by duats on Nov 10 2010, 7:31pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 31 (290 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Much as I like Tom Bombadil in 'Fellowship of the Ring' he has no part in 'The Hobbit'. Bilbo and the dwarves don't go through the Old Forest and Tom doesn't like to stray beyond his borders. I think he'd be just another cameo the story doesn't need.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 8:11pm

Post #4 of 31 (274 views)
Shortcut
Do we know for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Company didn't pass through the Old Forest? The paragraphs describing the early parts of the quest, from the Green Dragon to the encounter with the trolls, are quite vague. Tom Bombadil may not truly 'belong' in The Hobbit, but really, his presence in The Lord of the Rings wasn't very logical either. Since The Hobbit will presumably have a lighter tone, I think Tom Bombadil and all his glorious ridiculousness might even fit better there than they did in LotR... Smile

Alientraveller
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 8:16pm

Post #5 of 31 (264 views)
Shortcut
I'm fine without Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean we got the Old Man Willow scene in TTT EE, and I'd rather they focus on TH as it is.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 10 2010, 8:25pm

Post #6 of 31 (279 views)
Shortcut
How about Goldberry? [In reply to] Can't Post

People are trying to find plausible Middle-earth females and she's definitely plausible. And female.

As for Tom, maybe he can get hit by LOTR's famous express train? Now *that* I'd pay to see in 3-D!

NARFOT since 1967.

NARFOP since 2001.

I'm NARFOB and I'm proud!!

acheron
Gondor

Nov 10 2010, 8:27pm

Post #7 of 31 (265 views)
Shortcut
with a wry one-liner by the fox afterward // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 10 2010, 8:33pm

Post #8 of 31 (261 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

We need the fox in The Hobbit as well! And have him (her?) talk!!

NARFOT since 1967.

NARFOP since 2001.

I'm NARFOB and I'm proud!!

lurtz2010
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 10:16pm

Post #9 of 31 (235 views)
Shortcut
Tom was torture [In reply to] Can't Post

I could not stand him with his songs. I hope to never see his face or hear his voice on screen ever.
Thankyou.

Samuel Walters
Bree

Nov 10 2010, 10:23pm

Post #10 of 31 (222 views)
Shortcut
No real need [In reply to] Can't Post

... for Tom. I'll fine with additions and subtractions in general, provided they help create a better overall cinematic experience. I just don't see how adding Tom would really make the film a better experience because I don't think it could happen without a blatant "Hey look here!" moment -- which would kinda distract from the story. Maybe a glimpse of a feathered cap in the background during a travel montage?

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 10:26pm

Post #11 of 31 (221 views)
Shortcut
What! [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you not love Tom Bombadil? He's so jolly and hilarious and ridiculous and just plain awesome, in the biblical sense of the term. By far one of the most memorable characters from the legendarium. He's like Santa Claus on acid. Evil

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 10 2010, 10:28pm

Post #12 of 31 (210 views)
Shortcut
Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

just seems pointless, and seems to be added for his kids

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 10:33pm

Post #13 of 31 (223 views)
Shortcut
A glimpse of a feathered cap [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't really satisfy me. All it would do is confirm that Tom exists within the film-verse – an assumption that I can easily make on my own, without any evidence being necessary. We can assume Tom exists in the films in the same way we can assume Morgoth and Glorfindel and Radagast do.

What I really want is to see him on the screen, in all his ridiculous glory, even if it's only for a few seconds.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 10:36pm

Post #14 of 31 (222 views)
Shortcut
Neither Santa Claus... [In reply to] Can't Post

nor acid had any place in LotR. I agree with Lurtz2010 that he was intrusive, and was delighted that he was omitted from the movie. I skip his chapters in the book.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 10 2010, 10:37pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 10:37pm

Post #15 of 31 (214 views)
Shortcut
Tom is far from pointless. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a profound mystery and is fascinating to contemplate. Many lengthy essays have been written about him. My personal favourite theory is the 'Tom is Aulė' hypothesis. All the theories have their own substantial flaws, and it seems that finding a conclusive answer is impossible. That's why it's so much fun. We can all have our own interpretations. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 10:55pm

Post #16 of 31 (204 views)
Shortcut
I think we do know they didn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

... (pass through the Old Forest), or at least, can be pretty sure because they went by road. The only reason Frodo and company went through the Forest was fear or pursuit on the road. But it's academic really. Tom didn't appear in the film of Frodo's story, where he has a place. He has no place in Bilbo's and there's really no part in the story that I can imagine he could play.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 11:06pm

Post #17 of 31 (204 views)
Shortcut
No> [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom is one of my favorite characters in Lord of the Rings If he shows up in the Hobbit I am going to stand up in the movie and scream in protest. (Luckily I do not think I have to worry about it.)

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 11:11pm

Post #18 of 31 (199 views)
Shortcut
I agree - [In reply to] Can't Post

- Tom's better off where he is; in LotR, and 'The Adventures of Tom Bomabadil' where, incidentally, we're told that he was well known to hobbits of the Buckland - indeed, says Tolkien, they probably gave him the name, to add to his others, as it is Bucklandish in origin. .

'"Hoy! Here's Woodman Tom with his billy-beard on!"
laughed all the little folk from Hays-end and Bererdon'.

I like Tom; always have. It's best to listen to the Bombadil chapters read out loud - I have the unabridged recordings read by Rob Inglis. Tolkien has many styles, and this is one close to his heart I think - Tom's speech patterns have a rhythm of their own, quite unlike anyone else in the book.

As we know, Tom's beginnings go back further than LotR; to a poem first published in the Oxford Magazine in the thirties. But did you know that there is a third Bombadil poem? It's called 'Once Upon a Time', and it's quite charming. Tolkien introduces another Middle-earth oddity, no-where explained - lintips. I wrote to Tom Shippey once, to ask whether he had any idea as to what they might be. No, replied Shippey. Just another of Tolkien's inventions, evidently: like mewlips.

For me, enigmas such as mewlips, and lintips - and Tom himself - make Tolkien's writings fun. And no - none of these charming, absurd oddities has any place in any movies!

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Nov 11 2010, 5:25am

Post #19 of 31 (216 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom is the absolute best. I especially like how he completely dismisses the importance of the Ring quest. I would go further and call him a cross between Santa, Buddha, Peter Pan, Bob Vila, my uncle Lou, and a barrel-full of acid.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 11 2010, 11:55am

Post #20 of 31 (169 views)
Shortcut
compromise [In reply to] Can't Post

TROLL #3 : Now stop it! The night's gettin' on , and dawn comes early. Let's get on with it

GANDALF: Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!"

TROLL #3: Oh yeah? nobody messes with Tom Bomba-...

(This post was edited by carrioncrow on Nov 11 2010, 11:56am)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 11 2010, 3:35pm

Post #21 of 31 (142 views)
Shortcut
I Looke Forward [In reply to] Can't Post

Cannot wait to see The Trolls turn to stone. Question is does Gandalf do it or does he just appear and the Sun Rises. Another thing is people may get confused for These Trolls turn to stone but in the ROTK we see Trolls in daylight.

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 11 2010, 3:55pm

Post #22 of 31 (120 views)
Shortcut
From what I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

from the book. Gandalf comes back during the night and keeps the trolls arguing until the sun comes up. Also I think the trolls in the LoTR story are a different breed of troll.

Salmar
Bree

Nov 11 2010, 4:54pm

Post #23 of 31 (112 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Never did like the Tom bit in the LoTR. Glad to know that I'm not the only one. I could tolerate him if it meant introducing Goldberry to flesh out and balance up more of the female half in middle-earth. Then again, it would be an unnecessary deviation.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2010, 4:58pm

Post #24 of 31 (115 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

how the trolls' fossilisation (for want of a better word) will be handled in the film. It was hard enough to follow in the book, when 'A voice like Tom's', 'A voice like Bert's' and 'A voice like Will's' start arguing, and it wasn't clear at first that Gandalf had sneaked up and started mimicking them. Will Gandalf actually be shown running around the campfire and imitating the trolls' individual voices?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 11 2010, 5:22pm

Post #25 of 31 (114 views)
Shortcut
Who knows... [In reply to] Can't Post

That could be easier to follow in the film because you could actually see Gandalf - maybe not running round, but hiding somewhere, imitating their voices.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.