Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone think David Bowie would be good as the Elven King?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poppytook

Nov 10 2010, 4:13pm

Post #1 of 45 (713 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone think David Bowie would be good as the Elven King? Can't Post

(This post was edited by Poppytook on Nov 10 2010, 4:14pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 4:32pm

Post #2 of 45 (371 views)
Shortcut
Maybe 10-20 years ago...yes, he has the look. [In reply to] Can't Post

acheron
Gondor

Nov 10 2010, 4:42pm

Post #3 of 45 (403 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil: You remind me of the elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo: What Elf?

Thranduil: The elf with the power.

Bilbo: What power?

Thranduil: The power of voodoo.

Bilbo: Who do?

Thranduil: You do.

Bilbo: Do what?

Thranduil: Remind me of the elf.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

King Isildur of Gondor
The Shire

Nov 10 2010, 4:49pm

Post #4 of 45 (345 views)
Shortcut
that idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

has come to my mind sometimes, but I think now he's too old for it.

- Isildur, son of Elendil -

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 45 (329 views)
Shortcut
I and others have advocated Bowie [In reply to] Can't Post

... as the Elven King for some time. I do not think his age is a problem, and his "other-worldly" look is ideal.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 45 (318 views)
Shortcut
He would make a good Thranduil. [In reply to] Can't Post

Age isn't a concern; what else is make-up for? I think the potential 'baggage' that someone as well-known as Bowie would bring to the role is a far more important issue.

King Isildur of Gondor
The Shire

Nov 10 2010, 5:32pm

Post #7 of 45 (323 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree with you, Bowie certainly has that other worldly look.

- Isildur, son of Elendil -

Hellmistress
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 6:03pm

Post #8 of 45 (313 views)
Shortcut
Old. Too old. [In reply to] Can't Post

'Way back in the day, maybe. But not now, and his acting talents haven't ever amounted to much. Makeup is very expensive and time-consuming, and to be honest it would be easier and more practical to cast an actor better fitted to the role.

HM

Empedocles
Rivendell

Nov 10 2010, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 45 (298 views)
Shortcut
Way too old [In reply to] Can't Post

And there's also the fact that a lot of people would be "Hey, that's David Bowie!", which totally takes you away from the movie.

It happened to me during "The Prestige" and it happens with every single movie in which a rock star shows up.

I'll dare anyone to watch David Lynch's "Dune" and not say, "Hey, that's Sting" or POTC and not say "Hey, Keith Richards!"

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Nov 10 2010, 6:26pm

Post #10 of 45 (315 views)
Shortcut
Why do you think they rejected him the first time around for Elrond? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nimloth
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 7:22pm

Post #11 of 45 (262 views)
Shortcut
I'm with the 'too old' camp [In reply to] Can't Post

20 years ago he would have been perfect but not now.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2010, 7:26pm

Post #12 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the baggage that worries me. Nothing they could do with costume or makeup would prevent this from coming to mind and ruining those scenes for me. I already had Matrix flashbacks in LOTR with Hugo Weaving. ("Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson!") I would much, much rather they cast someone else - and I think they will.

If you want to see even more bad casting suggestions, check out this post from that thread. ShockedLaugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 7:50pm

Post #13 of 45 (235 views)
Shortcut
Nope, too old // [In reply to] Can't Post

Goldberry is waiting.

sphdle1
Gondor

Nov 10 2010, 7:59pm

Post #14 of 45 (247 views)
Shortcut
I never liked him as a singer ... but he seems to be a decent actor [In reply to] Can't Post

He would likely make a great Elven King...I think they may be foolish to overlook him for that.

Coincidentally he was in the movie 'The Prestige' with Andy Serkis, and they seemed to work well together.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 8:00pm

Post #15 of 45 (285 views)
Shortcut
For the 'too old' camp: [In reply to] Can't Post

What about his son, Duncan Jones? He's a film director and probably the closest thing there is to a 'young David Bowie'. Here's a picture of the two of them together:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...premiere_of_Moon.jpg

With a shave and some make-up I think he could be a pretty good stand-in for his father.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 8:14pm

Post #16 of 45 (242 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention it, [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't Gollum captured and imprisoned by the Wood-elves at one point? I wonder if those scenes will be incorporated in some way. It would be interesting to see him interacting with Thranduil and Legolas (whom he never met in LotR).

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 9:29pm

Post #17 of 45 (248 views)
Shortcut
It was a mistake, IMO. [In reply to] Can't Post

He would have been much better than Hugo Weaving.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 10 2010, 9:30pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 9:35pm

Post #18 of 45 (210 views)
Shortcut
No, no thanks to David Bowie [In reply to] Can't Post

I say yes to a more obscure but talented actor, at least I won't be singing "ground control to Major Tom" in my head every time I see him.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 9:39pm

Post #19 of 45 (211 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely, though you will doubtless hear from many here who will nay say. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you, have said it many times. It is said that Bowie wanted to play Elrond all those years back. . . and there are moments when Weavin'g Elrond is very Bowiesque actually. He'd be great, but I doubt it will happen. Currently I am too engaged in the campaign to see Glorfindel get his moment, and in calling for Gandalf's fire enchantments to be properly displayed, so that no neophyte will ever again disparage him as a great Wizard ( which happened in regards to Fellowship Mad), to launch a likely vain battle for inclusion of David Bowie, as well suited as I think he would be.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 9:41pm

Post #20 of 45 (243 views)
Shortcut
I like Hugo Weaving. [In reply to] Can't Post

He may not look very otherworldly, but then again, he is only Elrond Halfelven. But I sort of agree, he wasn't really outstanding in the role the way he was as Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy. I could definitely imagine other Elronds, but I could not imagine anyone else as Smith.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 10:03pm

Post #21 of 45 (221 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to see him as the Elvenking, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, he'd probably be fine in the role. But for the same reason people objected to, say, Sean Connery as Gandalf, he's too recognizable. I'd be thinking, "Hey, that's Ziggy Stardust!" and it would take me completely out of the moment.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Samuel Walters
Bree

Nov 10 2010, 10:26pm

Post #22 of 45 (195 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid of the Dwarven Kings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid of the Dwarven Kings ...
I'm afraid of the world ...
I'm afraid I can't help it ...
I'm afraid I can't ...

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

(This post was edited by Samuel Walters on Nov 10 2010, 10:27pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 10:36pm

Post #23 of 45 (209 views)
Shortcut
I will revise my too old comment if that photo is recent.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He has the looks....but the distraction factor might be too much to overcome.

Mick Jagger starting to look like Gollum....
Keith Richards....Wormtongue
Clay Aiken...kind of elvish....

I got it, Lindsay Lohan as Itaril!

Ha Ha

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 10:41pm

Post #24 of 45 (211 views)
Shortcut
Great cover photo....David Bowie Esquire Russia April 2010 - MagXone [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.magxone.com/esquire/david-bowie-esquire-russia-april-2010/

He definitely could pull off the look...and I thought of him in 1999 as well....

Snaga
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 11:01pm

Post #25 of 45 (178 views)
Shortcut
This role calls for someone with a different look [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone who looks majestic, healthy and in the prime of life. Bowie just looks and sounds like a tired old rocker in my opinion.

I'd rather they find some talented, unknown, forty something actor who has been putting in solid years of theatre work in London, New York etc... Give some fellow a break-out role in film.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.