Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sylvester McCoy Talks 'The Hobbit'

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 9 2010, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 20 (528 views)
Shortcut
Sylvester McCoy Talks 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

Sylvester McCoyBruce Hopkins writes: Here is a link to an interview with Sylvester McCoy from the Armageddon convention in Melbourne in Oct. I was a guest with Sylvester McCoy and sat in on an interview he did with a Dr Who fansite. I was able to record the interview. Sylvester and I caught up during the event as we had spent some time together with Ian McKellen and Jonathon Hyde when they were out in NZ with the Royal Shakespeare Company a couple of years ago. The Hobbit was still being talked about as possibly being shot away from NZ when the interview happened. More..

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2010, 2:12am

Post #2 of 20 (273 views)
Shortcut
Transcript? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can someone write up a transcript of the interview? The video won't load for me.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2010, 4:06am

Post #3 of 20 (309 views)
Shortcut
I don't usually do this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I don't know what came over me to type all that Tongue, but here you go. Interviewer's questions in bold

The last time you were in Melbourne was for King Lear?
Yep.

Which I remember because I was getting married at the time and missed out.
Oh, well you should have canceled the wedding! How dare you miss out?

Are you enjoying the time in Melbourne despite the weather?
Yeah, I like Melbourne. I've been here a couple of times. I was here for King Lear and then before that, rehearsing a show that we eventually toured around Australia. So I know Melbourne a little and I like it. Although I've never been here - except yesterday was a hint of what it would be like on a sunny day- cause I've been here twice before in your winter. And this time I thought, "Oh it's spring!", and now it's colder and more wet than when I came here before.

Apparently Monday's meant to be nice.
Is it? I thought they said it would be raining, or hailstones, or...

Well you can never tell.
No, but Melbourne's great. I like it.

Good. Um, do you know when I was planning for this interview I read the latest issue of Doctor Who monthly and every question I was going to ask you were asked...
Oh good.

So I had to come up with a whole lot of new questions.
No, you don't have to. You can just nick the answers, cause they're the same...

Well, it was good research. When you joined DW, in the late 80s, there were rumblings that John Nathan Turner wanted to move on to other projects?
Yeah, well it's true, he did. He'd done a good stint.

What was it like working with John at that time?
Well, it was okay, really. It was great fun. We got on really well, we became great friends. But he was very much hands-off in some ways, and hands-on in others. But generally, as far as the program was concerned, he left it up to Andrew Cartmail SP? and I to, in a sense, guide it. So that's why it became darker in the later seasons, because I always wanted desperately to bring back the mystery of The Doctor. And if it had gone to the fourth season, we maybe would have created another life for The Doctor, peeled off an onion skin and beneath it exposed that he was even more mysterious. That's what we were after. And John just said, "Yeah, ok, on you go. Good."

I've also read that in your years of DW, you felt restricted in what you wanted to do with the character?
No, not really.

So you were sort of given free rein to develop the character in any way you wanted?
Yeah. John didn't dictate anything. He just said, "There's the part, it's yours. Go with it." The only thing he dictated was the pullover. *chuckles* Which wasn't my favorite thing...

I liked your costume in the movie.
Yeah, I liked my costume in the movie as well. That was good. I liked that a lot. The costume I got wasn't quite the one I described to them when I was asked - I'd gotten a lot of input into the original costume. But the pullover was John's idea. And I just thought there were too many question marks. I mean, any time he goes somewhere people should be asking, "Why have you got all those question marks?" I added an extra one right enough, with the umbrella. But I thought that was a subtle question mark. It just stated the question mark theme, but it was an umbrella. But the coat, the jacket, never hung the way I wanted it, I wanted a much more linen-type jacket. But if I'd done the fourth season, I would have gotten rid of the pullover, I would have had the power by then. But John would have allowed it, we got on so well. I would have had something different.

Character Options released the two 7th Doctor action figures, one with a cream jacket and one with a brown jacket. I've heard you need to sign off on those with your likeness. Have you heard of any other editions? Because I'd like to get a movie version to add to my collection.
I thought there were three.

Yes, there were. A brown jacket, but with a hat.
And then there's a 4th one, which is the 11 Doctors. But they've put me on a diet. Which is very nice of them, because I seem to be much skinnier in that one than the other two or three. There's one with a TARDIS, there's one with a Dalek, and there's one by himself. And then there's 11 Doctors.

They vary them a little, to make them collectible.
The way I'm aching today, I think someone's sticking pins in mine. (Further comments about weather)

Now, this might be a bit touchy, but if the producers of the current show decided to recast the 7th Doctor in an upcoming episode, how would you feel about that?
I don't know. They're thinking about that, are they?

No, I'm just putting things out there.
Well, let's not think about that. That'd be mad, anyway. I mean, how would the fans feel about that? Why, are they bringing out a story with the 7th Doctor?

No, they're not, but who knows what they might do in the future?
Yeah, they could do anything. Make him a girl, a woman, give him a kilt...give it to Billy Connolly. If they're going to give it to anyone, I want them to give it to Billy Connolly. I'd just love him to go into the TARDIS and say, "Oh, my god, look at that ****ing planet, I luv it!, Oh, I luvv it!" I'm thinking about what you just said. I can't see that they would do that really, because the fans would want, if they did an "11-Doctor", they might have to recast the dead ones, but I'm not dead yet!

I'm not implying...
But I might be. Maybe I am, this is the afterlife...

Oh I thought you might be going to throw my coffee in my face!
No, the question should be, if you were dead, who would you like to play you?

So who would...
I've just told you, Billy Connolly.

Sorry I brought it up.
No, no, it's interesting. I haven't had a question like that. Normally I get the questions that I've had...you know, I've been doing it for so long, there are only so many questions under the sun and I've had most of them. That's the first time I've had that one.

Now, Sophie Aldred and yourself are born on the same day of the year?
Yes. 20th of August.

What traits do you tink the pair of you have in common?
Well, I think we've got sunshine personalities, in a way. I mean, I can't think of....Sophie's beautiful, she laughs at all my jokes, she's got the same sense of humor as I've got, and I laugh at her jokes. I can't say anything negative because it would be against Sophie. I could say negative things about myself, but...

Can you discuss further on the rumor that you've been cast in The Hobbit?
I've been offered a part...I don't know whether I'm supposed to say, the things been going on for so long. But I've been offered a part in The Hobbit. Peter Jackson and his wife and Philippa...yes, Peter, Fran and Philippa came to London and I went to their house and we met and did tea, and they were very sweet. They offered me the role. I'd done a screen test for it six months before, I think, and they just kept saying I was very much in the swim for it, and then they came to London and invited me to their home, and gave me tea, and they said "We would really like you to play this part." And they explained that in the book it's not very big, but in the film it would be bigger. I hope that's true, and I look forward to it! I'm very fond of them, because I'd met them in New Zealand. Peter and Fran invited me to their country home for a weekend and I got to know them.

They've got a knack for taking characters and just shifting them slightly so that they can have more of an involvement than the small role in the book.
Yeah, that's what they said. So I've been offered the part but we haven't signed anything yet because of the machinations of MGM and the (bankers) that buy...that put their debts into MGM and then, you know they're not really interested in films, they're just interested in making themselves so much money that it becomes ridiculous. I don't like the MGM (bankers). They're the ones that are holding it up.

Sounds like they're holding a few things up
They are, James Bond...and it's crazy. These are guaranteed money makers, and yet...it's different. They want to split up MGM.

Now, do you have any advice for potential actors who might be reading this?
Yes. Become a spaceman. Don't do it! I don't want them taking my part...I don't want them playing Doctor Who number 7 while I'm still alive!

I have a last question. The craziest fan you've ever encountered?
You.

Me!
Hmm, the craziest fan...well, I did encounter this chap once. I met him in the street, and by coincidence he must have just come from...he was carrying his collection of Doctor Who stuff. Books, cards, Cd covers, VHS covers.. it was in those days. And he was shaking. He couldn't believe it. "Oh, it's Doctor Who! It's the greatest thing. I'm so excited! ...would you sign these...35 objects for me? You're my favorite Doctor!" I was rather fond of him. There were 7 at the time, so I wasn't the last... another time, there was a girl on a Doctor Who cruise and she was so happy to be on the cruise that when it came to the end of it, she thought life would never be the same again, so she threatened to throw herself off the boat. And when they came down to tell me in my cabin, I said, "Tell her to jump." And luckily my wife was there, much kinder a human being than I, she went up and talked her off jumping off the boat. I think that was a bit extreme, don't you?

She was fusing Titanic and Doctor Who... What are the cruises like?
I enjoy them immensely. It's not a whole boat of science fiction fans. It's only about 50 or something like that. And the rest are...there are 500 other people on the boat. So you don't have to be with....but you also get to know the fans individually, and that can be very pleasant. There's only one or two times that it might be a bit extreme, like that girl, but very rarely. And you get to go to exotic places. This year I've been to Alaska and back and it was terrific. And I do them regularly and there are DW fans who regularly go and they've become friends now. They're just friends and we go on a cruise together. And there's new people. And you get to see the world, and Doctor Who's in love with the world, and that's one of the things I have in common with Doctor Who. I love the world.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 10 2010, 4:14am)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 6:04am

Post #4 of 20 (220 views)
Shortcut
They Did Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter and Fran did such a great Job in expanding Arwen in Rings that i think characters like these can get a showing in a Peter Jackson Hobbit then was written in the Book.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 6:20am

Post #5 of 20 (195 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 10 2010, 7:03am

Post #6 of 20 (199 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen DW actually. I'm not from England and never had the opportunity to watch it, apart from some snippets. And when I wanted to buy a season I didn't know what to get. Who is the best DW? What should I watch?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 7:32am

Post #7 of 20 (221 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like... [In reply to] Can't Post

a Mayor of Laketown, to me.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 7:33am

Post #8 of 20 (184 views)
Shortcut
Any speculation about which part he was offered? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 7:33am

Post #9 of 20 (183 views)
Shortcut
See my post above :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 7:37am

Post #10 of 20 (198 views)
Shortcut
Ack, Elizabeth, you anticipated my question moments before I was able to post it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spooky... hmmm Master of Laketown seems a good fit but I was thinking perhaps Balin.

I wonder if any other former Dr. Whos will be offered roles?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 7:39am

Post #11 of 20 (206 views)
Shortcut
And you did it again! Get out of my head! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkLaugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 8:30am

Post #12 of 20 (186 views)
Shortcut
All that typing is much appreciated! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 9:04am

Post #13 of 20 (181 views)
Shortcut
or Radagast? [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't there rumours of him being Radagast?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2010, 9:15am

Post #14 of 20 (167 views)
Shortcut
He's supposed to have said so himself. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Huan71
Lorien

Nov 10 2010, 9:54am

Post #15 of 20 (168 views)
Shortcut
Dr Who.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I haven't seen DW actually. I'm not from England and never had the opportunity to watch it, apart from some snippets. And when I wanted to buy a season I didn't know what to get. Who is the best DW? What should I watch?

RaoulJ, you mentioned Dr Who...
For myself, i found the Sylvester McCoy DW's to be some of the worst. Others may disagree?
Personally, i found the Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant series the best. Again, other people may tell you different...

New Zealand,
Home to the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Movies...

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 10 2010, 11:09am

Post #16 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
Radagast, so he said later on // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 10 2010, 1:00pm

Post #17 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
My Sister Was A [In reply to] Can't Post

She liked the older Dr Who. I believe it was Baker. I never fallowed it to the sci-fi ones

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2010, 1:41pm

Post #18 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
I expect he will play Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what the initial rumour of his involvement said. If that part of the rumour was right, I assume the other part is too.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2010, 7:12pm

Post #19 of 20 (88 views)
Shortcut
This interview took place several weeks ago, [In reply to] Can't Post

and yes, he has since said that he was offered Radagast. We have not heard yet if a contract has been signed.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2010, 1:52am

Post #20 of 20 (100 views)
Shortcut
Well, Doctor Who is really [In reply to] Can't Post

two different shows in many ways.

The original show ran from the 60s into the 80s. It was gently paced and low budget (the effects are often laughable now, and many planets look suspiciously like gravel quarries) and the focus was on the stories, each of which were told over a series of 1/2 hour episodes. A story might last for 2 episodes, or as many as 8. There were 7 different Doctors over the course of the series, each very different from the others, and people often prefer the first one they saw, especially if they started watching as a child. The most popular overall is the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker. My favorite happens to be the 3rd, Jon Pertwee. If you want to get a taste of the original show, you should consider watching a story or two from one of their seasons.

There was a TV movie which featured Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Some people liked the movie, I didn't. It didn't feel like Doctor Who to me. But that's a matter of personal taste, and I'm sure others would disagree.

The current show is definitely "updated". Hour-long episodes with good special effects, and a edgier feel to the stories and the character interactions. They have preserved the necessary Doctorish charm of the series and kept most of the conventions of the original....except in one respect: the old Doctors had lots of traveling companions, but never romantic interests. The New Who parted ways with that tradition and personal relationships play a far bigger part than they ever did in the old series. For the new series, I would suggest starting at the "beginning", with the 9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and working up to the present Doctor. There's more of a coherent character arc going on with the new series and I think it's best to begin at the beginning.

Here's an episode guide to the classic series. Be advised, the "Beginners Guide" linked to in the navigation bar on the left is informative, but contains spoilers.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.