Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Laketown

tumhalad
Bree

Nov 9 2010, 10:36pm

Views: 481
Shortcut
Laketown Can't Post

One of the greatest and most thrilling parts of seeing the Lord of the Rings films (for me) was the sheer detail brought to bear on the architectural elements of the films. In my opinion, their greatest achievement was Edoras, and more specifically the Golden Hall of Meduseld. In the Hobbit movies, there will be yet more chances to design and respresent new architectural locales. Many places we will have already seen: Hobbiton, Rivendell, the Misty Mountains. But east of the Mountains, a whole new world opens up for the designers.

Architecturally, I'm most interested in Esgaroth, and the depiction of the town over the river, sitting on its piles. At some point in history, the peoples of Dale and Rohan probably shared common ancestors, and so a common culture. By the time we meet the Rohirrim in the Lord of the Rings, they have abandoned any cultural links to water or trade (if they ever shared any) and they have developed a culture almost singularly based on the use and the artistic depiction of their horses. Esgaroth is very different in many respects - culturally, artistically (we should assume) socially. Nonetheless, there are striking architectural similarities between Lake-town and Edoras, to a degree. Both cities are constructed of wood (albeit one over a lake), although for very different purposes.

Both cities sport great halls in which the Lord (king or Master) drinks and eats with his guests and court. I guess my question is this: how do you guys think that Esgaroth should best be represented, in detail, on film? We all know the basic layout, but it was the smaller details; the carving, the motifs, that made architecture in the LOTR films amazing. Should the Hall in Esgaroth be designed more starkly, with less ornamentation, seeing as though the Lake-men are a mercantile culture? (i'm not sure why this should be the case, perhaps they are less concerned with ornament and more concerned with functionality) or should the desigers introduce complicated motifs and a rich heraldry to adorn the halls and the artefacts of the lake-men? Thoughts?

(This post was edited by tumhalad on Nov 9 2010, 10:37pm)

Subject User Time
Laketown tumhalad Send a private message to tumhalad Nov 9 2010, 10:36pm
    Well... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Nov 9 2010, 10:54pm
        I agree that Laketown will probably be really cool... Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Nov 9 2010, 11:31pm
            Laketown lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Nov 10 2010, 9:43pm
    Shared culture between Men of Laketown and the Rohirrim Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Nov 9 2010, 11:00pm
        Dwarven influence tumhalad Send a private message to tumhalad Nov 9 2010, 11:20pm
    Esgaroth is a blank canvas Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Nov 10 2010, 1:25pm
    I believe... King Isildur of Gondor Send a private message to King Isildur of Gondor Nov 10 2010, 1:42pm
    Democracy Finrod Send a private message to Finrod Nov 10 2010, 1:42pm
        Wasn't the Mayor of the Shire an elected office? Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Nov 10 2010, 1:51pm
    wares from Harad? Salmar Send a private message to Salmar Nov 10 2010, 11:39pm
        Good idea Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Nov 11 2010, 6:01pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.