Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Good Night, Glen: R.I.P. to a founder of Tolkien studies.

squire
Valinor

Nov 6 2010, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 15 (681 views)
Shortcut
Good Night, Glen: R.I.P. to a founder of Tolkien studies. Can't Post

Several other sites have noted the recent passing of Glen GoodKnight. He was a founder of the Mythopoeic Society in 1967: which group is still in existence, still hosting their famous MythCon, and still dedicated to the serious study of the mythical fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. Mr. GoodKnight was for many years the first editor of the Society's famed journal, Mythlore. He was also, among many other notable activities in this field, co-editor of the published proceedings of the famed scholarly conference held at Oxford on J.R.R. Tolkien's centenary, in 1992 - which is now out of print and very rare, as I was devastated to learn when I began getting serious about writing in the area of Tolkien Studies a few years ago.

Here is a link to an autobiographic page he put up on his site about translations of C. S. Lewis' Narnia series, which gives one a better sense of his personality and passions.

I never met this gentleman, but I have long admired his dedication to his life's work: to increase the world's awareness of the importance of modern mythmakers like Tolkien and his fellow Inklings -- to break down the walls of the fantasy ghetto. We on this site, and on this board especially, owe a great debt to him, whether we know it or not. I hope others will join me in wishing him an well-earned and honored rest in the home of his longfathers.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2010, 11:15pm

Post #2 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Glen at the Centenary Conference, at Keble College back in '92. I'm sad to hear of his passing. Speaking for me and mrs g., our thoughts are with his loved ones.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2010, 11:31pm

Post #3 of 15 (276 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry this thank you is too late, Glen, but thank you nonetheless! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 7 2010, 12:54am

Post #4 of 15 (268 views)
Shortcut
Rest in Peace [In reply to] Can't Post

I learned of this earlier today. I had the opportunity to meet Glen at the 2009 Mythcon; I had the honor of sitting at his table during the banquet and enjoying talking to him. He gave a tremendous amount to the Tolkien and mythopoeic communities. He will be missed.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

HQuendi

Nov 7 2010, 7:16am

Post #5 of 15 (234 views)
Shortcut
I will remember. [In reply to] Can't Post

dreir

Nov 7 2010, 7:34am

Post #6 of 15 (236 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Glen [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never met you but have always admired your dedication and the dedication of the people behind the Mythopoeic Society in general. It even led me to submit an artwork to Mythlore's sister publication, Mythprint (which was published!), all those years ago. I hope (and know) your passion and the passion of people like you will never fade.

- Dreir -

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 7 2010, 7:44am

Post #7 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
Glen has brought us new friends. [In reply to] Can't Post

His passing is certainly a loss, but I must issue a welcome to those of you who have taken this occasion to log in to TORn. I hope you will stick around the Reading Room and join our discussions of Tolkien's works!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2010, 6:05pm

Post #8 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
Rest in peace! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

WonderBroad
Lorien

Nov 7 2010, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 15 (245 views)
Shortcut
Still in shock [In reply to] Can't Post

I've known Glen for 27 years, and am just so heartbroken at this news.

This is a huge loss to his family, friends, the Mythopoeic Society and Tolkien fandom. We surely will miss him.

Ostadan
Rivendell

Nov 7 2010, 10:30pm

Post #10 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
Farewell, Glen [In reply to] Can't Post

I met Glen more than 40 years ago, and this news was a sad shock, although I had heard he was not in good health lately. For my part, his seminal work in gathering Tolkien fans and promoting Inklings scholarship was truly a life-changer for me, and I can never express fully the debt of gratitude I (and countless others) owe him.

Fantasy author Sherwood Smith has a fine remembrance at http://sartorias.livejournal.com/438088.html

squire
Valinor

Nov 7 2010, 11:21pm

Post #11 of 15 (211 views)
Shortcut
Amazing stuff, and an amazing time [In reply to] Can't Post

It's well worth reading this memorial to Glen GoodKnight, and also the responses. The primary vibe I get is the sheer complexity of the "Fan" and "Scholarly" responses to the Inklings or "Oxford Christians" in that obscure time before the internet, when Tolkien's Middle-earth was still regarded as a "stoner Wonderland" by many readers, not to mention the media and the "Existentialist" academy.

I also get the sense from the responses that the generation of college profs since about the mid-80s, who dare to teach The Lord of the Rings for credit, are products of a movement that Glen GoodKnight and others pioneered in the 60s and 70s. It is almost comic, but touching, to see him inventing MythCon as a place where fans and scholars could meet on common ground, when he himself despised TV and did not think Star Trek was within MythCon's scope.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dreir

Nov 8 2010, 5:20am

Post #12 of 15 (262 views)
Shortcut
Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Elizabeth :)
I've been a frequent, anonymous visitor of TORn (and occasional browser of the forums) for years.. I'm sure there are many more of us out there :)

visualweasel
Rohan

Nov 8 2010, 7:44pm

Post #13 of 15 (185 views)
Shortcut
I am working on a memorial issue of Mythprint [In reply to] Can't Post

Dedicated to our friend and Society founder, Glen. For those of you who subscribe to the Mythopoeic Society's newsletter, this should be going out in a couple of weeks.

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Nov 12 2010, 9:29pm

Post #14 of 15 (197 views)
Shortcut
Missed that somehow [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, my. Somehow I had missed that. I sold him quite a few books over the past few years on eBay. I wish I would have had the opportunity to meet him in person. He was always very gracious in his comments and e-mails.

Mark Sommer
Twitter ID: Inklingblogger

Joe Pearson

Nov 14 2010, 11:38pm

Post #15 of 15 (176 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

This is sad news indeed.

I met Glen in the late 60’s during the early SF Valley meetings of the Mythopoeic Society. He was a gentle, inspirational figure who never talked down to the younger members of the Society, but encouraged us to pursue our love fantasy literature and art. A memorable image was of Glen striding about in his “Elrond” crown and robe at a society picnic.

As a working writer, artist and director in the SF and fantasy genre I owe a lot to Glen and his support of young artists like myself.

Some of my first attempts at fantasy illustration were published in the Society’s journal, Mythlore, thanks to its editor—Glen. To be published in the company of giants in the field like Tim Kirk and George Barr was huge boost to a young artist like myself.

And Glen owned one of my all time favorite Tolkien paintings—a panoramic Tim Kirk painting of the charge of the Rohirrim, which looked pretty dang close to the version that appeared in the Peter Jackson feature many decades later.

I drifted away from fandom in the mid-80’s, but had a brief phone call with Glen in the late 90’s. He was still as gracious and helpful as ever.

R.I.P. “Elrond”. May you live long and well in the halls of the Far West.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.