Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Good Night, Glen: R.I.P. to a founder of Tolkien studies.

squire
Valinor

Nov 6 2010, 10:00pm

Views: 678
Shortcut
Good Night, Glen: R.I.P. to a founder of Tolkien studies. Can't Post

Several other sites have noted the recent passing of Glen GoodKnight. He was a founder of the Mythopoeic Society in 1967: which group is still in existence, still hosting their famous MythCon, and still dedicated to the serious study of the mythical fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. Mr. GoodKnight was for many years the first editor of the Society's famed journal, Mythlore. He was also, among many other notable activities in this field, co-editor of the published proceedings of the famed scholarly conference held at Oxford on J.R.R. Tolkien's centenary, in 1992 - which is now out of print and very rare, as I was devastated to learn when I began getting serious about writing in the area of Tolkien Studies a few years ago.

Here is a link to an autobiographic page he put up on his site about translations of C. S. Lewis' Narnia series, which gives one a better sense of his personality and passions.

I never met this gentleman, but I have long admired his dedication to his life's work: to increase the world's awareness of the importance of modern mythmakers like Tolkien and his fellow Inklings -- to break down the walls of the fantasy ghetto. We on this site, and on this board especially, owe a great debt to him, whether we know it or not. I hope others will join me in wishing him an well-earned and honored rest in the home of his longfathers.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Subject User Time
Good Night, Glen: R.I.P. to a founder of Tolkien studies. squire Send a private message to squire Nov 6 2010, 10:00pm
    I remember geordie Send a private message to geordie Nov 6 2010, 11:15pm
    I'm sorry this thank you is too late, Glen, but thank you nonetheless! // NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Nov 6 2010, 11:31pm
    Rest in Peace Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Nov 7 2010, 12:54am
    I will remember. HQuendi Send a private message to HQuendi Nov 7 2010, 7:16am
    Thank you, Glen dreir Send a private message to dreir Nov 7 2010, 7:34am
    Glen has brought us new friends. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Nov 7 2010, 7:44am
        Friends dreir Send a private message to dreir Nov 8 2010, 5:20am
    Rest in peace! // Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty Nov 7 2010, 6:05pm
    Still in shock WonderBroad Send a private message to WonderBroad Nov 7 2010, 6:28pm
    Farewell, Glen Ostadan Send a private message to Ostadan Nov 7 2010, 10:30pm
        Amazing stuff, and an amazing time squire Send a private message to squire Nov 7 2010, 11:21pm
    I am working on a memorial issue of Mythprint visualweasel Send a private message to visualweasel Nov 8 2010, 7:44pm
    Missed that somehow Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Nov 12 2010, 9:29pm
    R.I.P. Elrond Joe Pearson Send a private message to Joe Pearson Nov 14 2010, 11:38pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.