Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
TTT: EE Appendices Discussion -- Cameras in Middle-earth - Part 2

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2010, 5:37pm

Post #1 of 4 (211 views)
Shortcut
TTT: EE Appendices Discussion -- Cameras in Middle-earth - Part 2 Can't Post

And we go further with our cameras in Middle-earth. Keep your cameras ready!

The Plains of Rohan, filmed in Poolburn, Alexandra.
Here we see Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meeting Eomer and the Rohorrim.
This scene was filmed like a war-documentarie scene, with 4 cameramen with handheld cameras in between the action. For the actors this war more like theater, because the scene wasn't broken up in loose takes.
Q. Did you notice that this scene was filmed in a different style.

Because it was sheep shearing season there weren't enough men able to be extras in the Rohan scenes. So a lot of the Rohan-men in the scenes are actually women (now it really turned into a traveling circus, even bearded ladies).
According to some rumours, a certain actor who we will call V. was interested in one of the strawberry blond bearded ladies, but the rumour comes from a not so reliable source, D.
Q. Did you notice the men being women in the movie? I didn't until somebody pointed me to a picture (in the Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie), that is definitely a lady.

The burning pile of Orcs. Here we see an injury happening. While kicking the helmet Viggo broke two toes, so the cry we hear in the movie is actually a cry out of pain.
The scene that was filmed after this shot was our three heroes running across the plains of Rohan. But it happened that all three of them were injured, Viggo with his broken toes, Orlando had cracked a rib and Brad had twisted his knee. But they couldn't use stand ins, because the actors had lines and close ups. The aerial shots were directed by Barrie Osborne, because he had experience with those kind of shots.
When they were in Poolburn they noticed a wonderful sunrise and both Viggo and Barrie decided they wanted on in the movie. Viggo suggested to camp out there so everybody was there early morning. Viggo arranged everything and was so enthusiastic about the camp-out that even actors who didn't need to be there stayed over. It turned into a long night with lots of laughter and fun, and a really early morning. But also with stunning images.
Q. What do you think of this imagery, was it worth all the effort or could it have been left out of shot with a mat painting in of the sunrise.

Treebeard.
The scenes with Treebeard were shot on a blue screen.
Billy and Dominic were seated on bicycle seats in the hands of Treebeard. The shooting itself was very noisy. There were people moving Treebeards arms, people moving around with branches to created the shadows, people in the body to move Treebeard, people on remotes to make the face move. And Richard Taylor shouting the directions for the people making Treebeard move. And in between all that noise, Billy and Dom had to perform.
Q. Ever been on a not so pleasant bicycle seat for a while? (and for your information, yes I have, and it wasn't comfortable, and it really does hurt, especially getting back on that bike the next day, ouch, ouch, ouch).

Edoras - Mt. Sunday, Canterbury.
It took 8 months to build, and they had only 8 days of shooting there.
It is a stunning location, but very hard to reach. It is an hour away from the nearest city and the only roads leading there are dirt roads. And it is very windy there. One day Peter Jackson's glasses got even blown off his face.
All the actors and crew tell us the actual location is so much more wonderful then pictures do justice to it.
Q. What do you think of this location? Does it fit the image you had of Edoras? Was it worth 8 months of building?
Did you ever have your glasses blown off? That really is personal question. I never experienced that, although I'm always afraid they will fall off when I'm somewhere high looking down.

White Mountains - Deer Park Heights.
Here all the scenes for the Rohan people fleeing to Helm's Deep were shot. It is a hill near Queenstown where you could see a lot of different animals (unfortunately is has been closed down a while ago). The warg attack is not in the book, they are only mentioned briefly. First they wanted to film the wargs attacking Edoras, but because that location couldn't be light during night, so it was moved to the journey towards Helm's Deep. For the actors it was strange because the wargs are all cgi, they were stabbing and slashing nothing and had to trust that it would look good later.

The scene where we see Aragorn floating on the river turned out to be actually a very dangerous scene for Viggo. Because of the weight of his armour, coat and boots, he was pushed to another point in the river and pushed under. Luckily he did came up again.
Brego awakening Aragorn was an idea from Viggo. He practiced it during his free time with the horse. It was scary for the producer, what if the horse would fall onto his leading actor. But it turned out very well and gave us a nice moment in the movie.
Q. What did you think about this scene? Does it add to the movie and the story or...?

That's it for this moment. Thanks for reading along and giving your impressions. There is still more to come!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2010, 12:23am

Post #2 of 4 (88 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

Q. Did you notice that this scene was filmed in a different style. No, but I never notice things like that. I am a -- to borrow from the computer worlk -- a user only. I don't worry about technique.

Q. Did you notice the men being women in the movie? I didn't until somebody pointed me to a picture (in the Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie), that is definitely a lady. I don't think they were really close to the cameras, and as in the above answer, I wouldn't have noticed, anyway.

Q. What do you think of this imagery, was it worth all the effort or could it have been left out of shot with a mat painting in of the sunrise. I got the sense from what Barrie said, that he was humoring Viggo. It was a way to get a shot Peter wanted and a way to raise morale. It certainly seemed that everyone enjoyed the outing.

Q. Ever been on a not so pleasant bicycle seat for a while? No, my bikes were old-fashioned ones with the large seats. Besides, I limited my time on bikes -- not a bike-kind-of-gal!

Q. What do you think of this location? Does it fit the image you had of Edoras? Was it worth 8 months of building?
Did you ever have your glasses blown off? That really is personal question. I never experienced that, although I'm always afraid they will fall off when I'm somewhere high looking down. No, I have never had my glasses blown off. I don't ever want to be in a wind strong enough to do that (not just because I couldn't see without them). The two or three times I was on a roller coaster, I would take off my glasses. I had *visions* of losing them on the trip. As a person with fear of heights, I also limited my time of roller coasters.

Q. What did you think about this scene? Does it add to the movie and the story or...? Actually, I kept waiting for the horse to kick him, fall on him, or bite off his nose! Does it show that I also have limited my time on horses?

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Nov 5 2010, 3:54am

Post #3 of 4 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing this! Here are my answers:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I haven't looked into filming styles I didn't know what it was they did. All I knew was it was new and I liked it. A lot.

Q. Did you notice the men being women in the movie? I didn't until somebody pointed me to a picture (in the Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie), that is definitely a lady.
I was blind. Still don't really see it. I just know it's there. I really like BO saying how he sat down to have his breakfast with a bunch of guys and then realized that they were women.Sly "Just keep on trucking, Viggo!"Laugh

Q. What do you think of this imagery, was it worth all the effort or could it have been left out of shot with a mat painting in of the sunrise.
I have some feelings that there wasn't much effort involved. Unless fun is effort.Angelic I'm sure they really tried to sell the idea to PJ just to have that time of fun. Not really because they needed it. I think a mat painting would have worked fine but, I'm glad everyone was able to enjoy the time filming and not hate it. BTW, I love when Pete is talking about the shot with the helmet and how they show it getting closer to the camera each time. Then having him be all excited because Viggo was really getting into the part about loosing Merry and Pippin only to find out that Viggo really broke his toe instead.LaughHeart Works really great for the scene.

Q. Ever been on a not so pleasant bicycle seat for a while? (and for your information, yes I have, and it wasn't comfortable, and it really does hurt, especially getting back on that bike the next day, ouch, ouch, ouch).
Yep. And yes it hurt. But, I think that the trade off of becoming a part of a awesome movie like that is worth every painful second. Now 'tis but a memory and what they gained is beyond pain. "Pain is temporary, film is forever."

Did you ever have your glasses blown off? That really is personal question. I never experienced that, although I'm always afraid they will fall off when I'm somewhere high looking down.
I wish I could have seen it. Unsure I really liked it. Worked very well as Edoras in my mind. I think it was definitely worth building even if it only helped the actors in my humble opinion. I, thankfully, don't have glasses so, I can't loose any.Cool <well now I do.

Q. What did you think about this scene? Does it add to the movie and the story or...?
I love the horse bit. Really shows how the Rohirrim people love their horses and the connection Aragorn can make with the horse. I laugh every time Aragorn realizes that they are horsey kisses and not Arwen "for real".Angelic

I'm the Geek the comic strip refers to.

A midget fortune-teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Nov 7 2010, 2:34am

Post #4 of 4 (126 views)
Shortcut
Thank for doing these...here are my anwsers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope. I haven't really looked into filming styles so, wasn't really in my brain. All I knew was it was different and I liked it. A lot.

Not until I watched the extra stuff. I love what BO had to say about it. I sat down to have my breakfast thinking I was with a bunch of men only to find out they were women in beards. Great one. That is what memories are made of.Laugh

I think a mat painting would have been fine but, if it helped the actors I'm glad. You need to have fun sometimes. I really enjoyed Pete's commentary about the toe thing. And the shots of Viggo getting closer and closer to the camera. Wow this is great he's really getting into the character and feeling the loss Aragorn is feeling at this moment. Then he finds out it was a broken toe. Priceless!Heart

YEP! "Pain is temporary, film is forever" though.Wink

LOVE it. Yes. Totally. I love the details. I just wish that they could have kept it though. No. But, then again, I don't have glasses.Cool <well, now I do virtually.Wink

I really like the warg scenes. I think they are amazing. The wargs add to the movie I think. I don't really care for the Arwen kiss but, I do love the horsey one! I think it works well for how the Rohirrim love their horses and that they love them back. I thought the other horse they had to get rid of was really funny. Sitting right on the foam human!Sly

It's Latin. Loosely translated, it means... we cheat.

"Strange treasures in this fair world appear, strange all, and new to me." That is a poem by Thomas Traherne and I have absolutely no idea what it's about. But, when I was small I was made to learn it by heart so I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.