Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BREAKING NEWS: James Nesbitt is Bofur & Adam Brown is Ori!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 1 2010, 8:08pm

Post #1 of 74 (2161 views)
Shortcut
BREAKING NEWS: James Nesbitt is Bofur & Adam Brown is Ori! Can't Post

PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCES LATEST ADDITION TO THE HOBBIT CAST James Nesbitt Confirmed to Play Major Role in The Hobbit. (LOS ANGELES November 1, 2010) “One of Britain's most beloved actors, James Nesbitt (Millions and TV's Cold Feet), is the latest actor to join the ensemble cast of The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Nesbitt will play Bofur, a disarmingly forthright, funny and occasionally brave Dwarf. "James's charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles. We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast." said director Peter Jackson.

Newcomer, Adam Brown will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug. Jackson comments, "Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life".

Nesbitt and Brown will join the cast announced on October 21, which includes Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage (soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger), Aidan Turner (TV's Being Human), Rob Kazinsky (TVs EastEnders), Graham McTavish (Secretariat), John Callen (TV's Power Rangers Jungle Fury), Stephen Hunter (TV's All Saints), Mark Hadlow (King Kong) and Peter Hambleton (TV's The Strip).

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing with release dates set for December, 2012 and December, 2013. The two The Hobbit films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture, the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

ABOUT NEW LINE CINEMA:
New Line Cinema continues to be one of the most successful independent film companies. For more than 40 years, its mission has been to produce innovative, popular, profitable entertainment in the best creative environment. A pioneer in franchise filmmaking, New Line produced the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which is a landmark in the history of film franchises. New Line Cinema is a division of Warner Bros.

ABOUT PETER JACKSON/WINGNUT FILMS:
Peter Jackson is one of the world's most successful filmmakers. His monumental achievement co-writing, co-producing and directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy (with fellow Academy Award winners and frequent collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens) earned a total of 30 Academy Award nominations and 17 Academy Awards. Jackson and Walsh received their first Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay for their acclaimed film Heavenly Creatures. Jackson, through his New Zealand-based Wingnut Films banner, also was responsible for the globally successful 2005 remake of King Kong which earned over $500 million worldwide and 3 Academy Awards. Jackson most recently directed the Academy Award nominated The Lovely Bones; an adaptation of the acclaimed best-selling novel by Alice Sebold, which to date has earned nearly $100 million worldwide; and he produced the global sensation, District 9, which received an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. He is also developing a trilogy of films with Steven Spielberg based on Tintin, the world renowned comic book series by Herge. In 2010 he received a Knighthood for his services to film.

ABOUT METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS INC.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 2 2010, 1:22am)

Seanwise
The Shire

Nov 2 2010, 1:16am

Post #2 of 74 (986 views)
Shortcut
Exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Nesbitt doing this well...is that two dwarves now with Irish accents? Yay!

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 1:19am

Post #3 of 74 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Bofur a major character...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems a tad odd. Anyhoo, only 3 more Dwarves left: Balin, Bifur and Nori.

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

R4W13Y
Bree

Nov 2 2010, 1:19am

Post #4 of 74 (925 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

So excitingSly

Everyone is amazing so far! I am greatly anticipating seeing them all as dwarvesSmile

(This post was edited by R4W13Y on Nov 2 2010, 1:22am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:20am

Post #5 of 74 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Looks like two great choices to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Nesbitt, of course, had been rumored to play one of the dwarves for some time now. If they're casting a seasoned actor like him as Bofur, it sounds like they are indeed going to give each of the 13 dwarves distinct and unique personalities (as opposed to having some in the background as has been discussed).

A younger actor for Ori also seems a good choice. I also like how they're sprinkling in some fledgling actors with some experienced ones, yet are avoiding big, 'A' list, hollywood names.

So far, so good!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

R4W13Y
Bree

Nov 2 2010, 1:22am

Post #6 of 74 (915 views)
Shortcut
Agree with everything you've said! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Nov 2 2010, 1:25am

Post #7 of 74 (937 views)
Shortcut
Bofur and Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like these two brothers might be the main comic relief.Tongue

It will be really interesting to see how the relationships between the dwarves (particularly the brothers) play out.

Seanwise
The Shire

Nov 2 2010, 1:29am

Post #8 of 74 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Adam Brown... [In reply to] Can't Post

The search is on for the first picture - IMDB have quite a few Adam Browns but if he really is a "newcomer" he may not have been in movies or TV before...

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 1:30am

Post #9 of 74 (872 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! The fun continues! // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 1:36am

Post #10 of 74 (886 views)
Shortcut
So nice to have a steady stream... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of good news!

Yeah there are a lot of Adam Brown pics out there.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:36am

Post #11 of 74 (959 views)
Shortcut
I suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

that all of the dwarves will be called major characters in press releases, and probably Beorn and Bard will as well, regardless of the number of lines they'll have. When you think "major character", think "named character", not "has one of the biggest speaking parts".

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Seanwise
The Shire

Nov 2 2010, 1:37am

Post #12 of 74 (902 views)
Shortcut
fun, fun, fun [In reply to] Can't Post

...and when all these dwarvish actors come together in New Zealand, they're going to have a blast! Talk about the fellowship that they will form...and we'll see it all happening on the DVD releases in 2013. They'll work hard and party hard. I envy them!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:40am

Post #13 of 74 (890 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for pointing that out [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also been trying to find a pic for the story on the Home Page. However, the press release doesn't give us any clues at all - no nationality, no nuthin'. Crazy

The first person who figures it out gets a kiss from (erm, looks at avatar) Robbie the Robot! HeartLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 1:41am

Post #14 of 74 (908 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode, possibly... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then how will they label the Goblin King and Master of Laketown? Tongue

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:41am

Post #15 of 74 (965 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious to see [In reply to] Can't Post

if they'll be keeping the colored beards and hoods as Tolkien wrote. That would help to distinguish them visually, and a line or two from each to give personality will help avoid the "herd of dwarves" problem. I predict that after seeing the movie people will probably only remember Thorin and one or two other names, but they might say things like "The dwarf with the blue beard". Kinda like "the bow guy". Wink

it sounds like they are indeed going to give each of the 13 dwarves distinct and unique personalities (as opposed to having some in the background as has been discussed).

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:42am

Post #16 of 74 (888 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I wonder what the Elvish letter 13 looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine NZ tattoo artists will be getting requests for them, just like the number 9 for the fellowship. Smile

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:45am

Post #17 of 74 (896 views)
Shortcut
I think you may definitely be on to something [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious to see ... if they'll be keeping the colored beards and hoods as Tolkien wrote. That would help to distinguish them visually

That makes perfect sense.

I mean, think back to the prologue of FOTR, where the seven dwarf lords hold up their rings. If anyone can distinguish all seven as unique individuals, you're a better (well, at least more observant) person than I. And, that was only seven dwarves. It will be interesting, indeed, to see how they distinguish them so the audience doesn't go cross-eyed. Laugh

TORn Calendar

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 1:47am

Post #18 of 74 (861 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we'll get lucky and our Adam Brown will post something public... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a picture, some sort of biography... nationality! Tongue Maybe he'll stop by TORn, or post something on twitter, or contact his local newspaper... or something XD

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:48am

Post #19 of 74 (886 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

they have names, so don't be surprised if they're called "major" too. I don't expect to see press releases trumpeting the casting of a "minor character", although it's just possible a role might be called "small but pivotal". Minor characters would be extras.

Press releases are about publicity. You have to adjust to compensate for hype. Tongue

how will they label the Goblin King and Master of Laketown?

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Seanwise
The Shire

Nov 2 2010, 1:50am

Post #20 of 74 (911 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see Peter Jackson casting two young good-looking guys in these roles and then "Gimli-ising" them with prosthetics and *big* beards. I think they'll have smaller beards (to denote youth?) and won't be overly enhanced with latex and glue. This movie's Merry & Pippin?

(sigh....just remembering the end of the story...okay...on the off-chance there are spoiler avoiders I'll say no more about K&F)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Nov 2 2010, 1:53am

Post #21 of 74 (914 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah Fili and Kili {spoiler} [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot about them, thought it was just Thorin who died Sly

Also how can dwarves have small beards? i thought they were pretty much born with long facial hair.

- post edited to remove spoiler from subject line - please be more considerate in the future.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 2 2010, 2:10am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 2 2010, 1:56am

Post #22 of 74 (857 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Another good point [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to being able to distinguish the dwarf kings in the FOTR prologue by looks, I defy anyone to sort them from youngest to oldest, lol. Laugh They'll have to distinguish "young" and "old" dwarves somehow, and I agree that beard length would not only be a good way to do it, it would make perfect sense that a younger dwarf might have a shorter beard.

TORn Calendar

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 2:01am

Post #23 of 74 (849 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of brothers... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can definitely buy James Nesbitt and Stephen Hunter as being related. They have similar facial structure, which will no doubt be heightened by make-up.

Same for Turner and Kazinsky, actually...

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 2 2010, 2:02am

Post #24 of 74 (831 views)
Shortcut
Experienced and Newbie in one fell swoop [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ is definitely doleing out the info piece meal, which is fine, it's nice having news once a week or so.

As for keeping 13 Dwarves straight, it will be a big job, to be sure. The colors of the hoods and beards and the like will help, and I bet we get some variations on the amount of facial hair, and big beards doens't mean a full head of hair, so maybe there will be a balding Dwarf or two as well. I also don't think they all will be wearing armor like Gimli, especially after their capture by the Elves, I'm thinking we will see a much wider variety of Dwarven wardrobe to help matters out.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 2 2010, 2:05am

Post #25 of 74 (789 views)
Shortcut
The young Dwarves will be the ones with the I-Pods. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.