Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
GDT Has "Incredible Heartache" Over The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 29 2010, 12:50pm

Post #1 of 70 (1135 views)
Shortcut
GDT Has "Incredible Heartache" Over The Hobbit Can't Post

It's been five months since GDT departed The Hobbit, but now that the movie has finally been greenlit and is on schedule for a February 2011 shoot, there's little doubt he still feels the loss of what might have been. ContactMusic caught up with Guillermo and questioned him concerning his quitting The Hobbit, and as the man's said to various people numerous time before, he reiterates that leaving the director's chair was indeed the hardest decision of his life.
It's the hardest decision I've ever taken. I have incredible heartache. I feel terrible about it. It's very hard. It's getting a little easier to talk about it, but essentially it's like you've been recently widowed and everybody (is) asking you how exactly your wife died. It's pretty morbid.

There was no other choice, I kept postponing, I kept fending off the problems, I kept compartmentalising, I kept with it, everything we could (do).

I'll be able to watch it and (I will) probably enjoy it. But you know, with The Hobbit, I feel like the guy (survival mountain climber Aron Ralston) in the real-life experience that Danny Boyle just did his movie (127 Hours about). I was hanging by a thread on my arm for so long that at the end of the day you have to cut it off. Do I like having one arm less? No. But did I have to? Yes.

Excerpted from an article at ContactMusic.

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 29 2010, 6:11pm

Post #2 of 70 (499 views)
Shortcut
We understand [In reply to] Can't Post

and we can't wait for your other films!

The Trees will have their revenge! And they will have it in glorious 2D!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 70 (481 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it was a hard decision [In reply to] Can't Post

he was a nice guy and I enjoy his movies - looking forward to At The Mountains of Madness. I'm glad PJ is directing but I would have been just as happy if GDT directed.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:22pm

Post #4 of 70 (490 views)
Shortcut
It's not too late Guillermo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ask them for the job back! You never know, you might be able to work something out. Smile

Or... well, maybe not. Unsure

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Oct 29 2010, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 70 (515 views)
Shortcut
I don't feel sorry for him [In reply to] Can't Post

leaving a project like this is was an artistic equivalent of a captain abandoning a sinking ship

NZ = MIDDLE EARTH

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:24pm

Post #6 of 70 (460 views)
Shortcut
*hugs GdT* [In reply to] Can't Post

We miss you too- though it was great during the writing and pre-pre-production process, talking about art and books and whatnot...

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

larry_dunn
The Shire

Oct 29 2010, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 70 (506 views)
Shortcut
I don't share his heartache [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I'm glad he left. I think he creates very striking visualizations in his films, but his movies just don't tell stories very well. Pan's Labyrinth was gorgeous but frankly not very interesting as a story. Same I think goes for the Hellboys -- fun to look at but not very interesting to follow.

The Hobbit needs a storyteller. What made LotR so amazing is that PJ has both -- he can create extremely striking visualizations, and he can tell a story.

(This post was edited by larry_dunn on Oct 29 2010, 6:36pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 70 (472 views)
Shortcut
What was your problem [In reply to] Can't Post

with the story in Pan's Labyrinth? It was enough to keep me interested from start to finish. Was your problem with the story itself or the way it was actually told? Because the story of The Hobbit has not changed between GdT's departure and now.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 29 2010, 6:45pm

Post #9 of 70 (499 views)
Shortcut
Ship wasn't sinking and no one abandoned anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether you feel sorry for him or not is up to you. But he left because he had to, not because of self interest. It would make no sense for a captain to jump ship and then feel heartbroken that he didn't remain on board.

I admire him for leaving. That was a decision few could have made, out of necessity or otherwise. When you look at all the people who say they would work for free on this thing, clearly GDT knew what an desirable, nay, once in a life time opportunity he was walking away from. To say nothing of the financial benefits he likely would have reaped.

I am heartbroken that despite his courage and obvious personal loss, that he must endure the indignities of ridicule and unfair comparisons in public, by some small-minded fans.

larry_dunn
The Shire

Oct 29 2010, 6:50pm

Post #10 of 70 (446 views)
Shortcut
Telling a story on film ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is more than just "and then this, and then this, and then this."

That's my problem with Pan's Labyrinth, that's exactly what it was. It's just a very bland story -- taking that bold new direction telling us that fascism is bad and our dream worlds are often our only refuge.

Just think for yourself about the movie. Do you remember it for the beautiful visuals, or for the story? I think most people who remember loving it, but haven't seen it in a while, won't be able to remember the story at all, because there wasn't much of one other than a rather pedestrian Syd Field storyline.

The Hellboy movies have the same fatigued, "ok, let's march off to the next plot point" feel to them. By the time you are crunching popcorn under your feet, you have already forgotten what they were about.

(This post was edited by larry_dunn on Oct 29 2010, 6:53pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:52pm

Post #11 of 70 (412 views)
Shortcut
I remember both the story and the visuals, very well done.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Nienna
Rohan

Oct 29 2010, 6:54pm

Post #12 of 70 (396 views)
Shortcut
I agree // [In reply to] Can't Post

larry_dunn
The Shire

Oct 29 2010, 6:56pm

Post #13 of 70 (423 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you found the Hellboy movies to be compellingly told too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is great as it's always better to enjoy a movie than not.

But I for one am not broken up about his leaving the picture. I'm glad, and especially glad that it's going to be PJ.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 6:57pm

Post #14 of 70 (411 views)
Shortcut
Yup I really enjoyed both the Hellboy movies [In reply to] Can't Post

to each their own. Smile

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Oct 29 2010, 7:07pm

Post #15 of 70 (405 views)
Shortcut
Still Is Part Of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's been five months since GDT departed The Hobbit, but now that the movie has finally been greenlit and is on schedule for a February 2011 shoot, there's little doubt he still feels the loss of what might have been. ContactMusic caught up with Guillermo and questioned him concerning his quitting The Hobbit, and as the man's said to various people numerous time before, he reiterates that leaving the director's chair was indeed the hardest decision of his life.
It's the hardest decision I've ever taken. I have incredible heartache. I feel terrible about it. It's very hard. It's getting a little easier to talk about it, but essentially it's like you've been recently widowed and everybody (is) asking you how exactly your wife died. It's pretty morbid.

There was no other choice, I kept postponing, I kept fending off the¬ problems, I kept compartmentalising, I kept with it, everything we could (do).

I'll be able to watch it and (I will) probably enjoy it. But you know, with The Hobbit, I feel like the guy (survival mountain climber Aron Ralston) in the real-life experience that Danny Boyle just did his movie (127 Hours about). I was hanging by a thread on my arm for so long that at the end of the day you have to cut it off. Do I like having one arm less? No. But did I have to? Yes.

Excerpted from an article at ContactMusic.

ThunderDan

Oct 29 2010, 7:08pm

Post #16 of 70 (407 views)
Shortcut
I concur - thank goodness we get PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I have stated before that GDT is a gentleman and obviously a passionate film maker - but boy am I glad Peter is at the helm. On one hand you have the Lord of the Rings films which are my all time favorite movies ever made - and on the other hand you have Pan's Labyrinth which might be the most boring film I have ever watched (I wish I could be more specific - but it was so boring that I quickly let it wash away from my memory)

I did enjoy the Hellboy movies - but the visuals were all so comic-book like and over the top that one of my greatest fears was that the Hobbit films would not have the realism and authenticity that made the LOTR films so great.

Lest we not forget when first interviewed about this subject this is what GDT had to say:

ďI was never into heroic fantasy. At all,Ē del Toro admitted during a 2006 Cannes interview. ďI donít like little guys and dragons, hairy feet, hobbits ó Iíve never been into that at all. I donít like sword and sorcery. I hate all that stuff.Ē

Does this really sound like the right person to bring us back to Middle Earth? I think not.

R4W13Y
Bree

Oct 29 2010, 7:10pm

Post #17 of 70 (397 views)
Shortcut
My heart goes out to him... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was so passionate, kind, enthusiastic and innovative. I can't imagine what he is still going through after making such an extremely difficult decision.

He compared it to his wife dying. That's gotta count for something for all those nay-sayers out there. He looked at this project with such intensity and love and worked on it for - what was it? - three years. I truly love and admire him and was very pleased that he was on board. Even if he wasn't someone's particular favorite, you had to admit that he was very dedicated and hard-working and had some great ideas for the project.

Peter has always been my first choice ever since the first whisperings of The Hobbit came around around. But when Guillermo signed on with PJ working on the script and producing, I thought it was a wonderful arrangement. Now that PJ is back on I couldn't be happier and it's like my wish from seven years ago just came trueSmile but I will always wonder what Guillermo would have done..and will always have a twinge of sadness.

He's such a brilliant man. And so humble too. I especially loved how he would come here to actually answer our questions directly. Not many people do that - and he is a very busy man!!!

I know he has some very personal and incredible projects coming along in the next few months and years though, so he has a lot of creative releases and pet projects on his plate. I'm very happy he is becoming more and more successful and getting to do what he loves, and I wish the absolute best for him in the future. I know I will be seeing his films dozens of timesSmile

(This post was edited by R4W13Y on Oct 29 2010, 7:12pm)

Samuel Walters
Bree

Oct 29 2010, 7:23pm

Post #18 of 70 (380 views)
Shortcut
No idea ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if the films would have been better or not with him as director. But I loved his passion and openness and willingness to frequently engage the fanbase. I'm looking forward to At The Mountains Of Madness -- the movie version of that story has *got* to be better than HPL's novella.

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 7:42pm

Post #19 of 70 (353 views)
Shortcut
I have not seen Pan's Labyrinth in over a year [In reply to] Can't Post

and I still have quite a detailed recollection of the story. Obviously the beautiful visuals are the film's strongest area, but yes, I did find the story to be strong and emotionally affecting and memorable. I don't see how anyone could call it 'bland'; the whole 'dark violent adult fairytale that takes itself completely seriously' genre is not exactly a crowded one.

I liked both Hellboy films very much. As is to be expected of del Toro, they were both masterpieces from a visual perspective. And the stories were also quite good in my mind; the first was a pulpy Lovecraftian superhero film with Nazis (we need more films like this!) and the second was an equally intriguing humans-versus-the-fair-folk story which greatly expanded the series's universe and opened up a whole host of potentially brilliant possibilities for Hellboy III. Which unfortunately probably isn't going to be made, but even so... it's nice to pretend. Smile

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Oct 29 2010, 7:43pm

Post #20 of 70 (346 views)
Shortcut
Yeah!... he is and will be!.... we miss you Guillermo!... [In reply to] Can't Post

May be some people don't like Memo's style, but... he IS part of the Hobbit, don't forget he is going to tell the story among PJ, and Fran Walsh as a co-writer....
so... you like it or not, his style will remain there..... with the visuals, creatures, etc.... all of that is already done.... with HIS seal.....
is good that PJ took the reins in the end, I can't think on anybody better for the job, but this was a team work and they are still both on it.... and I love it!....

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 7:47pm

Post #21 of 70 (328 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. Pan's Labyrinth was an excellent story. I haven't forgotten it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Oct 29 2010, 7:52pm

Post #22 of 70 (357 views)
Shortcut
hi there [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry if I sounded disrespectful, I'm a bit cranky today Blush, and annoyed with all the roadblocks for this movie

GDT is working on his deam project now so I quess it was meant to be this way and it's for the better.

NZ = MIDDLE EARTH

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2010, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 70 (346 views)
Shortcut
Did Pan's Labyrinth... [In reply to] Can't Post

...have over-the-top comic-book visuals?

Would the executive producer, co-writer and design collaborator Peter Jackson have allowed Guillermo del Toro to shoot the film with over-the-top comic-book visuals, even if he did want to?

'No' is the answer to all of these things, as you will see in two years' time when Jackson uses del Toro's designs, which I am certain will be comfortably consistent with the previous trilogy.

R4W13Y
Bree

Oct 29 2010, 7:56pm

Post #24 of 70 (333 views)
Shortcut
I suppose I see your point... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in my opinion the simplicity of the fairytale storyline for Pan's Labyrinth is what made it spectacular.

Simplicity is underrated. The story was beautiful, poignant, captivating and touching - and I think it's because simple, beautiful stories have universal appeal and touch upon all of that which makes us human. For me, it brought out the feelings of innocence and wide-eyed wonder of childhood.

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was gorgeous (in more ways than just "aesthetically pleasing"), haunting, and magical.

And, honestly, if you really want to look into it, I think you can find plenty of symbolism, thematic elements, and subtle commentary that indeed make it more complex than it would seem.

P.S. Hellboy, Cronos and Devil's Backbone are brilliant as wellSmile

(This post was edited by R4W13Y on Oct 29 2010, 7:58pm)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Oct 29 2010, 8:01pm

Post #25 of 70 (327 views)
Shortcut
How I See It. [In reply to] Can't Post

I say he will always be part of the Hobbit for his writing help forge the story. Knowing Peter he will give credit to GDT for all the work he did for those 2 years.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.