Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Asking that foks please be patient until things quiet down a bit

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 27 2010, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 10 (392 views)
Shortcut
Asking that foks please be patient until things quiet down a bit Can't Post

That is, *if* they quiet down a bit, lol! Laugh

If you haven't noticed, the boards (Hobbit in particular) have been inundated lately. Consider that we've gotten 17 new users in the last day alone, and that those new users, just like everyone did when they were new, will need time to adjust to the mechanics and culture of posting here. So, please be patient with them. If someone is exhibiting 'irrational exuberance' Wink, or non-family friendly language, please post something about it on Feedback and/or notify an Admin by PM immediately. There have been almost 1200 posts made here in the last 24 hours and posts are being done at a rate of over 90 an hour right now. So, it's impossible for us to react immediately if they need attention. We're really relying on everyone here to give us a nudge if needed. Also, remember that a PM is probably the slowest way to contact an Admin because unless we're online, it takes us a while to see them.

Also, please bear with us as we try to weigh exuberance vs. trying to keep discussions in one thread. We've had complaints of too much consolidation today, only to turn around and get complaints for not consolidating enough. Yes, it's our job to hear out those complaints (which is why we get paid the big bucks LaughWink (not)). But we won't be able to satisfy everyone 100% and appreciate your understanding that. Things will settle down on their own. Until then, enjoy a little chaos and let us know if and when it gets too bothersome. We always want to know! Smile

Much thanks to everyone!!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 27 2010, 8:31pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 11:22pm

Post #2 of 10 (177 views)
Shortcut
Hay keep up the good work [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not know how you keep it all in line and running. Thanks.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 11:26pm

Post #3 of 10 (181 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any of the regulars to this site know the stand-up job you admins do......so it is not a problem at all when this stuff happens...its expected with all the craziness! Hope you folks are able to have a life in the meantime!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 28 2010, 12:37am

Post #4 of 10 (182 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Admins! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't speak for everyone, but I think you guys are doing a fabulous job keeping our boards running, even if we don't always make it easy for you :) Thank you all!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 28 2010, 1:17am

Post #5 of 10 (182 views)
Shortcut
Chaos? What chaos? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh!

Thank you, Altaira and all you Admins, for doing your best to keep some order here while we all chomped our fingernails, and now that the real fun has begun!

You know we'll do our best to help. And someday when all the dust finally settles, we ought to buy you all a drink...Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 28 2010, 5:26am

Post #6 of 10 (183 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you Admins all do an admirable job. When there are problematic posts, they are usually gone before I even see them Laugh

And with the madness that broke out since the big announcement it's impossible to keep track of every post, that is crystal clear. Even with skipping whole threads it's difficult to keep up even remotely with reading. Sadly I couldn't get online after 4.30pm yesterday and when I logged in just now we had 20 new threads and over 700 new posts on Hobbit alone, I really have no idea how the few Admins are supposed to read that all and find the time to slap fingers if necessary. And I still never have the feeling that they don't have the situation under control. So I want to use the chance and say a big 'thank you' to you all!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

sador
Half-elven

Oct 28 2010, 7:02am

Post #7 of 10 (245 views)
Shortcut
Indunated? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Reading Room goes on just as usual, if anything a tad less traffic than should be. Angelic

But yes, it's nice to have News, and lots of new members to celebrate them; and who knows? Perhaps some of them will stick around, and contribute to the older boards...

But yeah, you Admins are doing superbly. Or else there is nothing for you to do, and everyone around it putting on their best behaviour without you nudging them. Anyway, the result is great. Heart

"Welcome, and well met!" - Gloin.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back! Please join us in the Reading Room.

"One of the main things I like about the tale is that in LOTR, the choices you make with your heart are the right ones. So many times in real life that’s not the case. It’s very “healing” to read a story where the "heart" choices are rewarded."
- weaver.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 28 2010, 1:59pm

Post #8 of 10 (209 views)
Shortcut
TORn is definitely... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the most civilized place on the internet. Praise the admins! Praise them with great praise!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 29 2010, 6:53am

Post #9 of 10 (192 views)
Shortcut
You guys are doing a great job you know... even Gollum would have given you all hugses! [In reply to] Can't Post

I log in multiple times a day, everyday, for casual reading, and even so I feel overwhelmed by the volume of new posts and new threads. So I can well imagine what you guys must be going through with having to read posts and threads not because you want to but because you must.

So I really appreciate the time you all put in to maintain a sense of sense (heh heh!) and the unique culture of our boards... and especially that you do so with so much passion and enthusiasm.

Muchas gracias a todos! Thanks to you all! Cool

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2010, 6:46am

Post #10 of 10 (240 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Wherever you go, there you are.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.