Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Stays in New Zealand!!!
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

rings7
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 2:44pm

Post #301 of 364 (12908 views)
Shortcut
Shaking'n crying [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy dances all over!!!!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 27 2010, 2:45pm

Post #302 of 364 (12668 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to all !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

What happy happy news !! Congratulations to all who worked so hard to keep The Hobbit in Middle Earth /New Zealand where it belongs !! I am so very happy for all the Kiwis who devoted their time and hard work to keeping these films in their home country. This makes me very happy for Sir Peter and Fran and Philipia as well ! They deserve nothing but praise and good wishes now for a successful film production.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 27 2010, 2:46pm

Post #303 of 364 (12880 views)
Shortcut
Yeeeessss! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 2:57pm

Post #304 of 364 (12740 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, I am happy that this will be filmed in NZ.

However, it is not a "happy day" for everyone. Particularly those Kiwis who feel their democracy has been subverted by a corporate entity that issued bold threats to extract a change in NZ law.

I am not being a downer to be a downer. I am being a downer because for all our delight at our little film getting the greenlight, the implications of this decision, for NZ workers, is huge.

NZAE and MEAA may have committed one of the worst tactical blunders in union organizing history. The stupidity of it astounds me.

However, ultimately, it was Warners who strongarmed the NZ government, and I am least happy with them.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 2:59pm

Post #305 of 364 (12768 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the most idiotic moves in union history, IMO. I have never seen a tactic backfire so badly. Helen and Simon should be fired and sent on the new manned Mars mission the U.S. is working on.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 3:03pm

Post #306 of 364 (12760 views)
Shortcut
You really believe that New Zealanders on this booard capture the entire NZ people? [In reply to] Can't Post

And why, exactly, do you assume I am NOT a Kiwi?

I know plenty of Kiwis who are either not Tolkien/PJ fanatics, and who frequent other Tolkien-related messageboards, that are appalled by this decision.

Most are happy to have the film stay in country, and wanted it to stay in country, but are aghast at the degree to which the NZ government bent over backwards and further reduced the rights of workers.

In terms of basic human rights and employment protection, the NZ government just took a big step backward, and I'll be darned if I'm going to do a jig and purchase party favors in response.

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Oct 27 2010, 3:04pm)

Arbutus
The Shire

Oct 27 2010, 3:12pm

Post #307 of 364 (12701 views)
Shortcut
...AS THE SUN RISES!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoo-hoo! Relief and celebration was had by all (most)!!!!

Since when is any issue entirely black and white, good or evil? I believe a positive labor result can occur if the parties are open to discussion and compromise. However to me the worst possible efforts result when representatives are so dogmatic and entrenched that they fail to see an opportunity.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Oct 27 2010, 3:16pm

Post #308 of 364 (12700 views)
Shortcut
YEAH!!!! YAY!!!!!!! HOORAY!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I knew my Happy Dances would pay off!!! LaughSlyLaughSlyLaughSly

Just wish I wasn't working right now so I could celebrate more on the boards Unsure.

Darn it! My job always gets in the way of having fun Mad. I guess they call it "life".Crazy

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 3:18pm

Post #309 of 364 (12791 views)
Shortcut
I like you, too! <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 3:23pm

Post #310 of 364 (12777 views)
Shortcut
*yawn, stretch* So, what's happening now? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, great news!
*joins the party a bit late*Cool

Where's Frodo?

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 3:24pm

Post #311 of 364 (12680 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

I am so happy that this decision has been made It is truly amazing news. Without the passion, dedication and work ethic of the NZ filmmakers LOTR wouldnt be what it is and it is essential for the hobbit to be the best it can possibly be with that same team behind it.
Really happy for PJ and everybody who will be working on the film.

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 3:30pm

Post #312 of 364 (12702 views)
Shortcut
Thank God [In reply to] Can't Post

Just happy that it happened. I was confident it would. But you never know until it's official.

I feel like Frodo awakening in Minas Tirith to find a smiling Gandalf there and realizing everything is going to be OK after struggling for so long ....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 3:41pm

Post #313 of 364 (12569 views)
Shortcut
Excellent, excellent, excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the increasingly cut-throat game of where movies should be made, I'm REALLY GLAD the Hobbit flicks will stay in New Zealand. Many thanks to those who made this dream a reality!

Pittsburgh Flicks - Making Movies in the 'Burgh
http://www.pghflicks.com

Gildor
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 3:54pm

Post #314 of 364 (12686 views)
Shortcut
Happy but also concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

Another confirmation that the movie is moving forward. Interesting that keeping it in NZ has garnered a larger and overwhelmingly positive response while the green light was so so. Perhaps keeping it in NZ was more important than actually making it? Anyway, I digress.

Super happy that we're closer to making these things. Happy that they can stay in NZ. Concerned about some of the dealings related to worker's rights, I'm interested to see how it plays out.

If I had a 100 thumbs they would all be up!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 27 2010, 3:55pm

Post #315 of 364 (12780 views)
Shortcut
'This new Gandalf's Mother is more grumpy than the old one....' ; ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 3:55pm

Post #316 of 364 (12533 views)
Shortcut
I think the [In reply to] Can't Post

joy over the greenlight got overwhelmed and lost in the fear of what the blacklist would do.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 27 2010, 4:03pm

Post #317 of 364 (12686 views)
Shortcut
Great news. This is as it should be. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me that NZ will benefit from this, even with the cost to them - the tourism and marketing they get from the movies will be worth more than they have to pay, methinks. I'd be interested to know the thoughts of those in the industry about the 'independent contractor vs employee' thing - but as one who works in the arts, I know that being an independent contractor often benefits me and allows me greater freedoms.

Meanwhile - what I care about right now is that we will get to see THE SHIRE again!! Cannot WAIT to see those Matamata sets again! Sly Hurrah hurrah hurrah. So pleased for PJ, for all at Weta, for NZ and for US! Laugh Can't stop smiling...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Oden
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 4:03pm

Post #318 of 364 (12691 views)
Shortcut
Let the fun begin! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 27 2010, 4:09pm

Post #319 of 364 (12588 views)
Shortcut
ROFL !! // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 4:15pm

Post #320 of 364 (12632 views)
Shortcut
You claim [In reply to] Can't Post

you know plenty of Kiwis on other Tolkien message boards that are appalled by this decision? Links please. You are the one solitary person who seems not to be thrilled by this decision. It will be interesting to see if there's anyone out there who actually agrees with you.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 27 2010, 4:27pm

Post #321 of 364 (12637 views)
Shortcut
Lots of people everywhere side with unions in cases like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm certainly not one of them, but I've met enough to know they're out there.

I don't want to go to work today
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

Melilot
The Shire

Oct 27 2010, 4:30pm

Post #322 of 364 (12741 views)
Shortcut
Considering [In reply to] Can't Post

that we could have been at this point how many years ago - ?! Smile

Ah, well. This is magnificent. Champagne tonight methinks.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 27 2010, 4:32pm

Post #323 of 364 (12616 views)
Shortcut
Extenuating circumstances... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may side with a union or I may not. This is a case where I wouldn't have sided with them, and it doesn't have to do with the fact that I want these movies made. The already mentioned extenuating circumstances all through this drama would have put me against this union action. Each event should be decided upon due to its individual merit.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 27 2010, 4:38pm

Post #324 of 364 (12749 views)
Shortcut
Another one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good grief, I'm losing track of all these "new arrivals"! Laugh

*pops cork off of bubbly miruvor* No worries, this stuff will never go flat. Congrats! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Patty
Immortal

Oct 27 2010, 4:42pm

Post #325 of 364 (12716 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goal is to be Immortal for my birthday (June 8th).

But I'm thinking these movies will make status jumpers out of most of the board!

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.