Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Stays in New Zealand!!!
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 1:14pm

Post #276 of 364 (13590 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

Warners strong-armed the NZ government into changing its laws in a way that makes it easier for Warners to underpay, under-treat, and under-give-a-flying-#$%^ for Kiwis working on its films! You really believe that this agreement to "strategically partner" with the NZ government is some kind of major concession which shows they have heart?

I am pleased that these films will be made in NZ, and I am happy that all the Kiwis who feared for their jobs will keep them. However, the cost of doing so was, IMO, unacceptable. I think the NZ governemnt should have driven a much harder bargain. They capitulated in a way that is nearly unforgivable.

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Oct 27 2010, 1:16pm)

Evernight
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 1:16pm

Post #277 of 364 (13523 views)
Shortcut
Let me use some words from The Silmarillion... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then when Sir Peter Jackson heard afar the announcement of Prime Minister John Key, the shadow passed and his heart was uplifted, and he shouted aloud: "Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári (ar Periannath), utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men (and Halflings), the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered crying: "Auta i lóme! The night is passing!"

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Oct 27 2010, 1:18pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 1:18pm

Post #278 of 364 (13462 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating response. Thanks! :-)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 1:19pm

Post #279 of 364 (13679 views)
Shortcut
Come on [In reply to] Can't Post

This is nothing to romanticize. It was an ugly deal to keep the Hobbit in NZ. I am happy about the film being in NZ, but not happy about what the government gave up in order to do so. An insult to democracy if I ever saw one.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 1:25pm

Post #280 of 364 (13422 views)
Shortcut
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hip, Hip, HoorayHuzzahMazelTovhourrahEläköönHurraYpaEvvivaChiu!! (Hope these are right--I looked most of 'em up online . . .Crazy)

annarepp

Post #281 of 364 (13472 views)
Shortcut
Yaaaaay! Woo-hooooo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could almost cry, that's how happy I am!!!! the Middle-earth is saved!!!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Post #282 of 364 (13314 views)
Shortcut
Well it's about time, congrats New Zealand. // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

deej
Tol Eressea

Post #283 of 364 (13504 views)
Shortcut
HURRAH!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Fiesta has come early to the TORn boards. Cool

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:27pm

Post #284 of 364 (13420 views)
Shortcut
The best part is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the laws wouldn't have been changed if the unions hadn't interfered with their disgraceful boycott. I hope Simon Whipp and Helen Kelly are proud of themselves. Look what they've achieved! And this will do wonders for their public relations, too! Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 1:27pm

Post #285 of 364 (13345 views)
Shortcut
No bread though-- [In reply to] Can't Post

the Cheese Sandwich is over.SmileWink

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 1:29pm

Post #286 of 364 (13439 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is nothing to romanticize. It was an ugly deal to keep the Hobbit in NZ. I am happy about the film being in NZ, but not happy about what the government gave up in order to do so. An insult to democracy if I ever saw one.

How is it that the New Zealanders on this board and elsewhere don't seem to think so? They seem pretty happy, not just for this film and the people who will work on it but for the wider implications for their country. I reckon they know their own business better than anyone else.

This is good news and an insult to nobody.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 1:33pm

Post #287 of 364 (13600 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Perfect! *Joins in leaping around on the picnic table, and . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

falls off the end in a heap.* ShockedLaughLaugh

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 1:33pm

Post #288 of 364 (13578 views)
Shortcut
It's 6:30 am in California..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....and I am ready to party!!!!!! A fantastic piece of news to wake up to. Congrats to PJ,WETA,and the Kiwi's ! And thanks to TORn for all the hard work ! Cheers!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:42pm

Post #289 of 364 (13511 views)
Shortcut
No need for pessimism today, G-M! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the NZ people are not happy with their government's decision, they'll decide with their vote.

Now turn that frown upside-down and save your Debbie Downer thoughts for tomorrow, today is a happy day ;P

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:43pm

Post #290 of 364 (13471 views)
Shortcut
Californian here got no sleepI [In reply to] Can't Post

I was simply too excited about the news. :D

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 27 2010, 1:45pm

Post #291 of 364 (13578 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to you, too! How fitting! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 1:45pm

Post #292 of 364 (13623 views)
Shortcut
Ufff.... that's good news.... glad it is solved for the best.... :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:48pm

Post #293 of 364 (13450 views)
Shortcut
Well, looking at the workers of Weta and their response, I'd say the workers are happy [In reply to] Can't Post

If the voting people- most in the working class- are unhappy, they will speak with their vote when it comes to re-election time.

Now please, enough political crusading and celebrate, or at least save the 'glass is half-empty' thoughts for tomorrow ;P New Zealand can take care of itself.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Ainu Laire on Oct 27 2010, 1:51pm)

Samuel Walters
Bree

Oct 27 2010, 1:49pm

Post #294 of 364 (13409 views)
Shortcut
Self-inflicted [In reply to] Can't Post

The MEAA and NZAE committed a tactical blunder of unprecedented proportions by precipitating a move for legislation that will further strip workers of their rights. The clarification of employees vs. independent contractors will now ensure that even if someone is, in practice, an employee, a mere label can fix them as independent contractors, thereby stripping them of their rights.

Warners has strong-armed the New Zealand government in one of the most unprecedented displays of corporate power over government that I have seen in a long time.

And we are pleased as punch because our little movie gets to be made in New Zealand. This deal has serious long-term consequences for people across the country - primarily consequences that benefit only the studios - and we are expected to celebrate in the streets?

The amazing one-sidedness being displayed by the media on this issue is vomit-inducing.

I'm sorry indeed that workers' rights may be limited by this action. But considering those workers -- or at least their representatives -- were willing to put the livelihoods of thousands at risk, through a thoroughly unnecessary and damaging labor action, I can't say that I'm entirely sympathetic. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about achieving one's goals. The wrong way has severe consequences.

But this deal is, in fact, good news, considering the long-term benefits that producing The Hobbit in New Zealand will have for the country. Without the current sacrifices, the long-term viability of the NZ film industry would have been in severe jeopardy. Now the industry will be safeguarded for the future, at a cost to those who put the industry in harm's way to begin with -- that's the risk of empowering individuals to speak for a group. So yes, people are celebrating. Having The Hobbit in NZ is, obviously, a matter of national pride. Today is not the day to rain on the parade.

Dauntlessmedia.net: Reviews and analysis of modern media (Star Trek, BSG, Lost, LOTR, etc.)

balinman
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 1:52pm

Post #295 of 364 (13607 views)
Shortcut
great day to be a hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

great day to be a hobbitCool

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 27 2010, 2:05pm

Post #296 of 364 (13398 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

Warners strong-armed the NZ government into changing its laws in a way that makes it easier for Warners to underpay, under-treat, and under-give-a-flying-#$%^ for Kiwis working on its films!

What?

NZ actors will be paid way above SAG minimums on The Hobbt. The average weekly wage I heard for Kiwi actors that signed contracts is $5,000.

And for the first time in decades Warners are offering NZ actors residuals.

The change in the law is about a clarification of the difference between a contracted worker and an employee to reduce the risk of future potential lawsuits.

Don't forget that all of this only came about as a result of the MEAA blacklisting The Hobbit.

(This post was edited by ranger123 on Oct 27 2010, 2:08pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 27 2010, 2:05pm

Post #297 of 364 (13509 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I like you.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 27 2010, 2:34pm

Post #298 of 364 (13353 views)
Shortcut
What wonderful news to wake up to!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspected something was up when I saw not one, but two threads set ON FIRE overnight! LaughLaugh

HUGE congratulations to PJ, Richard Taylor, Mr. Key, and all the fine Kiwis who fought for this and showed their support in whatever way they could.

*lump in throat* A proud day for Kiwi's, indeed!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 2:43pm

Post #299 of 364 (13412 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to stay up, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I was nodding off at the keyboard and I knew fine folks like yourself would stay up and keep watch. By the way, well said regarding negative nellie, or debbie downer....I have faith that PJ, Warner Bros. and the Kiwi government want their workers treated fairly (and paid fairly). Today is a day of celebration! I plan on speeding through the day so I can get home, log on to TORn and see more good news........like a statement from Sir Peter perhaps? Cheers!

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 2:43pm

Post #300 of 364 (13492 views)
Shortcut
The sun just came up [In reply to] Can't Post

here in the west and I wake up to some great news!!!! CoolEvil

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.