Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
GDT's Approval of Martin Freeman As Bilbo Baggins Is 100%

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 26 2010, 4:33am

Post #1 of 19 (982 views)
Shortcut
GDT's Approval of Martin Freeman As Bilbo Baggins Is 100% Can't Post

Here's word on what once-upon-a-time-Hobbit-director Guillermo del Toro has to say about the casting choices revealed for The Hobbit films thus far:
"I have the perfect actor for every character in the movie, but I don't feel morally correct to saying who now that I'm not directing. But [about Martin Freeman playing Bilbo Baggins] absolutely, 100%. I'm a huge fan of his. I love him in The Office and Love Actually."

As far as his decision to leave the director's chair of the two-part movie, GDT says:
"[It's] a hard thing when you've spent two years on a movie and it's going nowhere".

News courtesy of Simon Reynolds over at Digital Spy.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 26 2010, 10:44am

Post #2 of 19 (582 views)
Shortcut
I suspect... [In reply to] Can't Post

he may have had a hand in that decision Wink... its nice to see his comments about the cast... and possibly easier to write a script when you have someone in mind to play the part.

Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2010, 10:49am

Post #3 of 19 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

... based on PJ's comments that there was always ever only one perfect Bilbo, I wonder if this was the Christmas gift GDT had mentioned a couple years ago. If so, it's quite bittersweet Smile

sphdle1
Gondor

Oct 26 2010, 11:16am

Post #4 of 19 (486 views)
Shortcut
He must have read all my posts from way back XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Oct 26 2010, 11:17am

Post #5 of 19 (467 views)
Shortcut
Yes well [In reply to] Can't Post

they said ages back they had the same actor at their top of their want lists, so this is no surprise. Wonder how long its been since Freeman knew he was being hunted?

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2010, 12:30pm

Post #6 of 19 (407 views)
Shortcut
LOL... [In reply to] Can't Post

... quite a few of TORnsibs' suggestions have come true, albeit for different parts, but even so! Cool

Elven
Valinor

Oct 26 2010, 1:12pm

Post #7 of 19 (395 views)
Shortcut
... and a little bit late ... [In reply to] Can't Post

considering that was a couple of Christmas' ago Wink
But heck, Earl - Merry Christmas to us! WOOT!!Laugh

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2010, 1:43pm

Post #8 of 19 (424 views)
Shortcut
I hope Guillermo's other choices, [In reply to] Can't Post

such as Doug Jones and Ron Perlman, also win out in the end.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2010, 2:13pm

Post #9 of 19 (401 views)
Shortcut
I would doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in an interview a few days ago GDT mentioned that he's written a part specifically for Ron Perlman in his next movie At The Mountains Of Madness. I don't know how big a role that is (I haven't read the book), but based on the interview, it sounded like an important one. Based on when they begin filming that movie, which I think I heard is sometime next year, it mightn't be possible for Ron to be in The Hobbit.

As far as Doug Jones goes, I have no guesses about his availability, but seeing as he is part of GDT's filmic family, I would think GDT has multiple roles for him in mind (I've read synopses of that story and it is FULL of creatures).

Who knows though! Right now I'm just concerned about where the films will be made Frown

Hellmistress
Lorien

Oct 26 2010, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 19 (316 views)
Shortcut
ATMOM ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo is hoping to begin filming AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS around May/June next year. We're still waiting for the greenlight on that one, though.

HM

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2010, 5:19pm

Post #11 of 19 (325 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit starts filming in February, but AtMoM won't start filming until June at the earliest. That's at least four months of shooting that Doug Jones or Ron Perlman could take part in, assuming they have no other obligations.

The character Perlman's meant to be playing in AtMoM is a fairly unimportant one, though it seems GdT's expanded the role in his script.

Richie Rich
Rivendell

Oct 26 2010, 5:22pm

Post #12 of 19 (347 views)
Shortcut
Quick question [In reply to] Can't Post

If this film gets relocated, do you think the filming schedule would be delayed; or would there still be plenty of time to move shop and start shooting in February?

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2010, 5:33pm

Post #13 of 19 (317 views)
Shortcut
I'm really not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would assume that the three or four months between now and the start date should be enough time for them to get at least some of the interior sets up and ready to go, in London or wherever.

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 26 2010, 6:19pm

Post #14 of 19 (300 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see Ron Pearlman... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as Beorn.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2010, 6:28pm

Post #15 of 19 (320 views)
Shortcut
So would I [In reply to] Can't Post

and I would love to see Doug Jones in as many roles as possible he often plays multiple characters due to the fact that he's under prosthetics most of the time. He could play Thranduil, the Necromancer, the Great Goblin...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 26 2010, 6:40pm

Post #16 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
From what has been said by PJ, PB & FW (Sounds like a railroad) [In reply to] Can't Post

Filming will begin at Hobbiton in Matamata in February regardless of a move of the rest of the production.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster
New Zealand is as close to Middle-earth as you can get.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 26 2010, 6:42pm

Post #17 of 19 (287 views)
Shortcut
The Dream is Dead. [In reply to] Can't Post

Long live The Dream!Heart

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster
New Zealand is as close to Middle-earth as you can get.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:00am

Post #18 of 19 (207 views)
Shortcut
Very true... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see Doug Jones and Perlman in these movies. Seems to be right up their alley so-to-speak. Quirky roles representing non-human beings....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2010, 1:51am

Post #19 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
So many variables... it's hard to say... good question.// [In reply to] Can't Post

SAVE MIDDLE EARTH! FILM THE HOBBIT IN NEW ZEALAND!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.