The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
A rose by any other name...

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 17 2007, 1:34am

Post #1 of 6 (576 views)
Shortcut
A rose by any other name... Can't Post

What's really amazing is that last year this one beautiful rose grew and didn't blossom until our anniversary in October. Now this year we have had two blossoms at what I hear is the proper time. I claim no credit; I have nothing to do with it and I'm not going to, either! I have a black thumb and as it seems to be doing well each year on its own, I'm staying out of it!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 17 2007, 2:39am

Post #2 of 6 (406 views)
Shortcut
There are so many delicate hues there. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is amazing how you can get lost in a thing of beauty:).

This is a time when you'd love to be a bee, buzzzzzzzzzflomp :D.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

daffobombadils crash Lorien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2007, 11:33am

Post #3 of 6 (393 views)
Shortcut
You're getting some [In reply to] Can't Post

lovely blooms! Do you know what the "name" of that type of rose is? Too bad there isn't an "aroma" feature on computers, I can only imagine its fragrance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."
-JRR Tolkien, "On Fairy-stories"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 17 2007, 3:54pm

Post #4 of 6 (402 views)
Shortcut
I fell in love with that rose... [In reply to] Can't Post

and designed a wedding around it.
I can't remember the names different growers have for it, but it's long been a favorite of mine.
I only have the silk version of it, as most roses just don't do well here. Thanks for sharing! =)

[Oh, and the happy couple? Five hobbits so far...]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
...in which EoPW tries to lure Viggo into her garden by waving the Danish Flag........

Wynnie
Rohan

Jun 17 2007, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 6 (484 views)
Shortcut
Could it be a Peace rose? [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother used to have one of those; the flowers were in lovely blends of delicate yellow and pink. Check out this gallery; though there are variations in color, a few of them look like fairly close matches for your photo.

None such shall return again.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Jun 28 2007, 10:16pm

Post #6 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! We have a similar rose! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year I had some fun with my scanner:

The color isn't very true; I'm still learning PhotoShop, so I don't know how to get that gorgeous peach back.

Since I wasn't happy with the real color, I played:

And another, played with on PhotoShop:

Comic book roses!

Okay, I'll stop now.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.