Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thank You to the film team - Update!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 89 (7648 views)
Shortcut
Thank You to the film team - Update! Can't Post

UPDATE: Here is the link to the document on Google Docs. I tested the link and I don't think you have to have a Google ID

I will get the document prepped for sending. I hope to send an actual document, but at a minimum we can get it to the right people who can make sure it is delivered to Peter at Stone Street and WETA.

The artwork is courtesy of our own future movie mogul Ainu Laire. It is gorgeous.

Please let me know if there are changes or I missed someone Unsure. I won't be changing the original messages unless there'a a typo or I skipped something.

Original message:

The dust is beginning to settle, and while we still don't know where The Hobbit films will be shot, we've come a long way, with many events happening in a very short time. The cast is beginning to take shape and the coming weeks will reveal the final choices.

There's so much energy on the Hobbit message boards, and many of us are looking for something we can do to participate in the events as they unfold.

A couple days ago I suggested that we channel our energy in a positive direction - instead of expressing our anger at the studios or the unions, let's instead focus on showing support for the entire Hobbit film team - everyone at Stone Street Studios, the folks at WETA and anyone else who as been working for years to bring us The Hobbit.

I've received approval from Altaira to announce that the TORN message boards will be creating a THANK YOU to the film team and anyone who wishes will have an opportunity to add their personal thank you. We're still working out the details, so watch this space as we figure out the best way to deliver the message.

Many years ago, we sent a Christmas Card to Peter and the team with personal wishes, and this project will be modeled after that. Below is the text of the message we sent.

What can you do right now? Compose a 1-2 line message to convey your thanks and appreciation to Peter and the team. You can include your real name and/or your TORN nick. You can either post your message here, send a PM to me, or send it to a Google group I've created:

thank-you-to-the-hobbit-team@googlegroups.com.

We will be collecting the one-line messages over the next couple of weeks, and will send off the package soon after that. We are fairly sure we can deliver the message directly to the film teams.

Please try to keep your message brief, and the TORN admins will maintain final edit rights.

Any questions? Post them here!

Here's the Christmas card we sent:

To Our Middle-earth Compatriots; Director, writers and producers; composer, cast, crew, artists and craftspeople:

On this holiday of miracles and good cheer, we wanted to express to you our heartfelt gratitude and appreciation for bringing to us this magical world of Middle-earth.

Professor Tolkien's story has been the benchmark not only for literature, but for embracing the best of human nature. Because of your vision, integrity, and passion, Tolkien's message of peace,
faithfulness, loyalty, sacrifice, honor, and love has been expressed through your films and has brought all the characters of his incredible work to life. It has also shared his work with a wider audience,
inspiring many to read his story for the first time and others to revisit that enchanting world they experienced long ago.

We will never know the sacrifices all of you and your families have made to come together and create this magical work. All of your efforts, creativity, and enthusiasm to give to us - the fans of Tolkien -
this amazing gift are appreciated and are a constant source of wonder to us all.

Thank you for your passion and staying true to Tolkien's spirit... and for caring about us.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Your Friends of the TOR.n Discussion Boards

sample

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 25 2011, 12:14am)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 23 2010, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 89 (886 views)
Shortcut
I'm in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I just have to warp my non-creative brain to come up with a good one or two lines that say how very grateful I am to them for bearing this burden.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 23 2010, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 89 (938 views)
Shortcut
To Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

No one could have demanded, or even expected, the level of passion, commitment, and personal sacrifice that you've demonstrated in your efforts to bring this project to life. After everything you've done for The Hobbit over the course of the last 4+ years, "thank you" just doesn't suffice. You are both an inspiration, and a credit to your industry.

Signed,
Andrew S.

(This post was edited by duats on Oct 23 2010, 9:23pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2010, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 89 (836 views)
Shortcut
I'll send a PM [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful idea!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 23 2010, 9:44pm

Post #5 of 89 (824 views)
Shortcut
This is precisely what we need... [In reply to] Can't Post

what they need... to give us all a place to breathe and re-focus. Thanks for this, entmaiden. This is perfect... and a very Tolkien-esque approach to this heart-wrenching series of events. Stand back and look at the good in the situation.

*bows deeply*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

BlueMan
Rivendell

Oct 23 2010, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 89 (812 views)
Shortcut
This is a great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I have tried to mail my message but received following message:

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (thank-you-to-the-hobbit-team) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at http://groups.google.com/support/?hl=en_US.

Thanks,

Google Groups

Why's that? I will just PM my message to you, entmaiden, will that be ok?

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 10:05pm

Post #7 of 89 (905 views)
Shortcut
Got it - thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 10:06pm

Post #8 of 89 (795 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - I'll figure out what's going on with the google groups [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm new at this!

Got your PM

sample

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 10:25pm

Post #9 of 89 (808 views)
Shortcut
This is a wonderful idea entmaiden. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for leading the charge!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 23 2010, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 89 (829 views)
Shortcut
I'm in [In reply to] Can't Post

... thank you so much for organising this, entmaiden. Now I just need to think what to say....

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2010, 11:07pm

Post #11 of 89 (823 views)
Shortcut
To Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

You have created an astounding rendition of a great work of literature and forever raised the bar for fantasy, for adaptation, and for the art of filmmaking as a whole. I wish the best of luck for you and your colleagues in The Hobbit and all your future endeavours. I'll be watching.

óGerard

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 11:53pm

Post #12 of 89 (777 views)
Shortcut
I think I fixed the e-mail link [In reply to] Can't Post

but if anyone has trouble, let me know.

sample

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2010, 11:55pm

Post #13 of 89 (777 views)
Shortcut
Remember, we will post exactly what you give us [In reply to] Can't Post

So if you want your name and TORN nick, include both. Or if you just want one or the other, include exactly what you want your message to contain.

Thanks, everyone.

*entmaiden goes off to write her own message*

sample

Patty
Immortal

Oct 24 2010, 12:13am

Post #14 of 89 (761 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that happened to me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I ended up putting in an old email addy and a new password.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 24 2010, 2:44am

Post #15 of 89 (785 views)
Shortcut
have PMed my note to entmaiden [In reply to] Can't Post

(which she's acknowledge so no need to do so again, entmaiden).

I just wanted to add (because I asked people when I collected notes for Howard Shore), I have no objection to my note (sig and all) made public in some manner. I don't know if you were planning to do that but I thought I'd throw it out there.

thanks so much for doing this entmaiden. It's one of those wonderfully positively focused endeavors that finds rainbows in glints of light. You really are a treasure in this community.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2010, 3:12am

Post #16 of 89 (769 views)
Shortcut
What an excellent idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

One can only imagine how disheartening this has been to all of them. They are so deserving of any boost we can give to them, any expression of appreciation!

Thank you so much for getting us started on this, entmaiden! Smile

*heads off to think up what to write*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2010, 4:17am

Post #17 of 89 (779 views)
Shortcut
To Mr. Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

When thinking of the things which have impacted me most in my life, I cannot escape your incredible adaptation of 'The Lord of the Rings'. My life has become devoted to the cinematic arts, and I have you, your remarkably creative team, and the beautiful country of New Zealand to thank for that. I thank you all for endeavoring to take me back, once again, to Middle Earth.

Sincerely,
John Michael Webster

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 24 2010, 4:22am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2010, 5:02am

Post #18 of 89 (737 views)
Shortcut
Thank you note [In reply to] Can't Post

To Sir Peter Jackson and your fellowship.

You all have my respect and deepest admiration. Because of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I am pursuing a career in post-production. I am inspired by your incomparable work ethic, endless energy, passion, honesty and integrity. You have shown your quality and it is of the very highest. Remember, pain is temporary - film is forever!

Owain

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2010, 6:05am

Post #19 of 89 (734 views)
Shortcut
To Sir Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is to you, Sir Peter Jackson,

and to all those who are privileged enough to work with you,
the expression of my deep gratitude and admiration for the incredibly beautiful and selfless way you have already in the past served both Middle-earth, and your own home country New Zealand. It is thanks to you all that after falling in love with Tolkien's world through his books decades ago, I also fell in love in 2001 with New Zealand as visually representing Middle-earth in the wonderful films you had created for 'The Lord of the Rings'. May you be able to film now 'The Hobbit' too in the very same country, in the peaceful and supportive atmosphere you deserve! Everyone will benefit again from the result.

Christiane Gabriau/Mae govannen

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 24 2010, 6:49am

Post #20 of 89 (726 views)
Shortcut
What an excellent idea entmaiden :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Now to think of what to say.

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~ ~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2010, 11:45am

Post #21 of 89 (728 views)
Shortcut
(Edit) [In reply to] Can't Post

In retrospect, I think I should include my TORn nick as well as my real name. Could the 'óGerard' signature please be amended to 'óGerard/Flagg'?

(This post was edited by Flagg on Oct 24 2010, 11:49am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2010, 12:31pm

Post #22 of 89 (689 views)
Shortcut
Done! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2010, 12:49pm

Post #23 of 89 (691 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Huan71
Lorien

Oct 24 2010, 1:35pm

Post #24 of 89 (693 views)
Shortcut
When did you intend to send? [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden, do i have a day or two so scribble a couple of ideas down on a piece of paper?
I would like to offer up something presentably worded and not some inane piece of juvenile drivel! CrazyCool

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 24 2010, 1:57pm

Post #25 of 89 (732 views)
Shortcut
We'll send it in a couple weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

We want to give everyone a chance to think about what they want to say. This message is a general show of support and thanks - it's not tied to the current events over filming locations, casting, etc.

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.