The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Meet Your Hobbit Cast - Updated Dec. 7, 2010
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2011, 10:04pm

Post #176 of 189 (1382 views)
Shortcut
We are about two weeks from the start of filming and key roles [In reply to] Can't Post

still have not been announced....I wonder if they are
just sitting on them or if it is possible they have not been finalized (hard to believe).

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 3 2011, 10:10pm

Post #177 of 189 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Which key roles? // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2011, 10:20pm

Post #178 of 189 (1373 views)
Shortcut
It depends [In reply to] Can't Post

For all we know, Thranduil, Bard, and Smaug may not show up until Film Two. So there's no need to cast them just yet.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 3 2011, 10:22pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2011, 10:21pm

Post #179 of 189 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Bard, Thranduil, Goblin King, Smaug's voice, Mayor of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

I consider these major roles....but major or minor they are important for the full cast.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 3 2011, 10:22pm

Post #180 of 189 (1466 views)
Shortcut
But, we know PJ usually shoots out of sequence.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2011, 10:23pm

Post #181 of 189 (1558 views)
Shortcut
but at least in general [In reply to] Can't Post

the scenes from the first movie will be shot before those in the second so that WETA, etc can start working on the specific shots

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2011, 10:24pm

Post #182 of 189 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Due to the extremely tight schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if they shot in a linear fashion; or at the very least film most of Part One first.

But now that I think about it, something does strike me as odd.

If Thranduil doesn't show up until Part Two, logic would dictate that Legolas won't show up until Part Two as well. And yet Orlando Bloom's "cameo" has been announced.

BlueMan
Rivendell

Feb 4 2011, 12:32am

Post #183 of 189 (1593 views)
Shortcut
It does not necessarily have anything to do with when an actor is appearing [In reply to] Can't Post

For once, the fact that they are on a tight schedule makes it actually a lot less likely to shoot much in order. Instead they will try to group scenes at one location or using the same actors etc. to make it all easier and quicker.

Also, they may already have cast most of the remaining actors but feel like there's no need to release their names just yet or maybe the contracts are still being finished or whatever. It is not unusual in the film industry that not every cast member gets announced before or during filming. Look at the way we found out that S. Ronan is on board ... the casting agents have known it for ages and just don't know it hasn't been announced, so they talk about it as if it's the most normal thing in the worls (which for them, of course, it is)

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2011, 4:21am

Post #184 of 189 (1390 views)
Shortcut
I still think [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Jones would make a great Thranduil. It may just be me, but I could buy him as Orlando Bloom's dad.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 14 2011, 7:45pm

Post #185 of 189 (1873 views)
Shortcut
The shooting schedule also depends upon other factors. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shooting out-of-order is not at all unusual in filmmaking. However, some scenes will have to wait for the building of sets and even the process of still finding and securing locations.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 21 2011, 9:23pm

Post #186 of 189 (1443 views)
Shortcut
I assume that PJ's children, now probably teenagers, will have [In reply to] Can't Post

some small role, as will possibly other family members of the actors, just like in The LOTR films. My guess would be as citizens of Lake Town.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 21 2011, 9:23pm)

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2011, 5:55am

Post #187 of 189 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Casting left for Film One [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they are filming these movies consecutively, we may not get casting announcements for Film Two until late in the year.

So in the meantime, I guess we can focus on Film One roles that haven't been announced yet.

We know that Beorn will be featured in Film One. We also know that film one has to end with some climax/sense of resolution. The Seige of Dol Guldur is an obvious choice, but since this is primarily Bilbo's story, there has to be a big climax for his arc. My educated guesses would be Bilbo rescuing the Dwarves from the spiders, or Bilbo rescuing the dwarves from the elves (intercut with the Dol Guldur scene).

But let's just say, for argument's sake, that Film One ends after Bilbo and the Dwarves escape Mirkwood. Here, then, are the major roles that are left to be announced.

-Tom
-Bert
-William
-Gwaihir
-Great Goblin
-The Necromancer
-Thranduil

- Since the trolls and Gwaihir/eagles are going to be digital creations, their voice work won't need to be done right away. And there is always the possibility that the eagles won't speak (which I hope it not the case). At the very least, I'm going to guess that Andy Serkis will provide the mo-cap work for the trolls.

- The Great Goblin I am assuming will be an actor in prosthetics. Perhaps Lawrence Makoare or Sala Baker - with ADR done in post.

- I'm guessing that the Necromancer will be a CG creation. Same situation as the trolls and Gwaihir.

- I think it's safe to say that Hugo Weaving will return as Elrond.

So I guess the big character left to be cast for Film One (possibly) is Thranduil.

CrazedHobbit

Apr 16 2011, 2:47pm

Post #188 of 189 (3236 views)
Shortcut
cast list [In reply to] Can't Post

That is actually a great cast list and as Jackson proved in the Lord of the Rings trilogy when it comes to casting he has a nack for finding the right actors for the roles.
I have totaly faith in the cast list.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.