Meet Your Hobbit Cast - Updated Dec. 7, 2010
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 21 2010, 10:05pm

Post #1 of 189 (18800 views)
Shortcut
Meet Your Hobbit Cast - Updated Dec. 7, 2010 Can't Post

This post contains the latest confirmed casting. We will update this list as new cast members are officially announced, so check back often!

Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins

Martin John C. Freeman (born 8 September 1971) is an English actor. He is known for his roles as Tim Canterbury in the BBC's Golden Globe-winning comedy The Office, Arthur Dent in the film adaptation of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Dr. John Watson in Sherlock.

Freeman has appeared in at least 18 TV shows, 14 theatre productions, and several radio productions. His most famous role remains that of Tim Canterbury in The Office. He also appeared in the sitcom Hardware. Additionally Freeman has appeared in several films, including Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G Indahouse (2002) and Richard Curtis' Love Actually (2003). As well as his various comic roles, Freeman has also appeared in serious dramatic parts. His most prominent dramatic role to date has been as Lord Shaftesbury in the 2003 BBC historical drama Charles II: The Power and The Passion. He can also be seen making a brief appearance in the first episode of the second series of This Life, helping himself to £30 from Milly and Egg's bedside table before unknowingly swigging a mouthful of Egg's urine from a lager can. Freeman also starred in the BBC's television series The Robinsons. Freeman also had a cameo performance in episode 1 of Black Books.

He had a cameo in Hot Fuzz (2007), a film written by Shaun of the Dead writers Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, and had a brief non-speaking role in Shaun of the Dead as Yvonne's boyfriend, Declan. He is in the 2007 film The All Together written & directed by Gavin Claxton. He also appeared along side Roger Lloyd Pack, Jamie Hogarth and Christopher Mellows in the 2007 Bill Kenwright theatre production of The Last Laugh.

He also features in the video for Faith No More's cover of "I Started a Joke". He has recently covered a few shows on BBC 6 Music. In May 2009 he starred in a comedy, called Boy Meets Girl - a four part drama that charts the progress of characters Veronica and Danny after an accident which causes them to swap bodies.

Freeman plays Dr. John Watson in Sherlock, the BBC contemporary adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes detective stories. The first episode, "A Study in Pink", was broadcast on 25 July 2010 to critical acclaim.

Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield

Richard Armitage (born 22 August 1971) is an English actor. At 17 he joined a circus in Budapest for 6 weeks to gain his Equity Card. Armitage returned to Britain to pursue a career in musical theater. He appeared on stage in various musicals, including Cats as Admetus and Macavity.

Dissatisfied with this career path, he returned to school to study acting at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA). "I had started on a certain road in musical theatre and I was about 21 when I suddenly thought this is not quite the right path I am taking. I needed to do something a bit more truthful than musical theatre. For me it was a bit too theatrical and all about standing on stage and showing off. I was looking for something else, so that's why I went back to drama school."

After completing LAMDA's three year program he returned to stage to appear as a supporting player with the Royal Shakespeare Company's productions of Macbeth and The Duchess of Malfi, as well as Hamlet and Four Alice Bakers with the Birmingham Repertory Theater while taking a series of small roles in television and films.

His first major television role was in the BBC drama Sparkhouse (2002) as the shy but noble John Standring. "It was the first time I went to an audition in character. It was a minor role but it was something I really got my teeth into...I couldn't go back. I knew I had to approach everything the same way." After this he took a variety supporting roles in the TV productions of Between the Sheets, Cold Feet (series 5), and Ultimate Force (Series 2).

Then in 2004 he appeared in his first leading role, that of John Thornton in the BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. Armitage felt personally drawn to the role due to his northern working-class family background. "My father's family were weavers and spinners. It was where I came from and it was exciting to think I could be a part of it." He also cited Thorton's dualism as drawing him to the character. "The dichotomy between the powerful, almost monstrous, entrepreneur and this kind of vulnerable boy is exciting for me to look at."

In 2005, he played Peter MacDuff in Macbeth as part of the BBC's ShakespeaRe-Told series and appeared in the Inspector Lynley Mysteries episode "In Divine Proportion" as recovering gambling addict and suspect Phillip Turner. He starred in the BBC's The Impressionists, in which he played the young Claude Monet, and as Dr Alec Track in ITV's The Golden Hour, a medical series based on the London Air Ambulance. He also played his first substantial role in movies with the independent film Frozen.

In 2006, Armitage took on the major role of Sir Guy of Gisborne in the BBC series Robin Hood. "In order to sustain the character of Guy, you have to find the conflict within him. He's constantly pulled between good and evil, between who he wants to be and who he actually is. He could have been a good man, but he is forever dragged down by his fatal flaw - that he wants glory at all costs." "I have to say I think baddies are always the most fun to play because you get to be rude and aggressive and you get to do things that you can't really do in everyday life. We have to be civilized and nice and polite. And when you play the bad guys you get to play all those notes of your personality. There's a little bit of me in Guy, I think, sort of the aggressiveness. No, it's great fun; I love it." The final series of Robin Hood, series 3, started on 28 March 2009.

Armitage appeared in a two-part 2006 Christmas special of The Vicar of Dibley, as Harry Kennedy - the vicar's new love interest (and eventual husband). He reprised the role in 2007 for Red Nose Day. On 8 April 2007, he starred in George Gently, a detective drama, with Martin Shaw and Lee Ingleby. Armitage played biker Ricky Deeming. On 9 May 2007, he appeared in the BBC Four production of Miss Marie Lloyd - Queen of The Music Hall. playing Marie Lloyd's first husband, Percy Courtenay. He also appeared in the Granada TV production of Agatha Christie's novel Ordeal by Innocence as the character Philip Durrant.

Armitage joined the cast of Spooks for series 7 which began on 27 October 2008, in the UK, as the character Lucas North. "On the surface Lucas is an amiable character but eight years in a Russian prison has had a profound effect on him. His personality is divided between who he was before he was imprisoned, the prisoner, and the person he has become. He has an outer facade which is personable, but underneath is someone who has been through a big trauma...He has no knowledge of how damaged he is emotionally until memories start to work their way to the surface." "I love films with a combination of action and good characters. That's why Lucas is interesting as I get to play someone with a complex psychology who goes out there and tries to save the world." Armitage gained notoriety during the filming of series 7 when he allowed himself to be subjected to waterboarding in order to film a flashback sequence.

In March 2009, he began filming for Series 8 of Spooks, which began airing in November 2009. In July 2010 he finished filming series 9, due to be broadcast in late September.

On 20 May 2009, he appeared in the BBC1 drama Moving On as John Mulligan.

In May 2010 he starred as John Porter in "Strike Back" for Sky 1. On playing John Porter Armitage stated, "On paper it is pretty obvious what kind of drama "Strike Back" is, but the driving challenge for me and the scriptwriters and directors was to find the emotional centre of John Porter. How does a man become a trained killer and then go home and put his arms around his wife and rock his baby daughter to sleep? How can a soldier not have a conscience about what he is being asked to do?" Elsewhere he said, "In the end it was the character I was attracted to, the story of a man who makes a decision under pressure and that decision has a knock-on effect on his whole life. He goes in search of atonement still believing he did the right thing even though it cost the lives of three of his friends....I admire the tenacity of standing up and saying "I made a mistake, I'm going to take the consequences. I'm going to search out the reason it was a mistake." There's anger and there's injustice. It's like, "I did the right thing, with the wrong outcome.""

Sky1 has commissioned a second series of "Strike Back", due to be broadcast late in 2011.

In recent years, Richard Armitage has also performed a great deal of voice work such as reading poetry for various radio programmes and starring as Robert Lovelace in BBC Radio 4's production of Clarissa: A History of a Young Lady in April 2010. He has recorded audio books from those based on BBC's "Robin Hood", to Bernard Cornwel's The Lords of the North, to three Georgette Heyer novels for Naxos AudioBooks: Sylvester, Venetia, and The Convenient Marriage which was released in August 2010. He has provided the narration for documentaries such as "Homes From Hell", "Empire's Children", "Too Poor for Posh School?", "Forest Elephants: Rumble in the Jungle", and "Surgery School". He has also provided the voice over for several advertisements.

Aidan Turner - Kili

Aidan Turner (born 19 June 1983) is an Irish film and television actor. He is perhaps most notable for playing a vampire, John Mitchell, in Being Human (since 2009), a drama-comedy television series first aired on BBC Three, a United Kingdom television network.

He briefly appeared, uncredited, as Bedoli in the first episode, "In Cold Blood" (2007), of The Tudors, an Irish/Canadian-produced historical-fiction television series first aired on Showtime, an American premium-television channel.

Turner also appeared as Ruair McGowanre in two seasons of The Clinic (2008-2009; 18 episodes), a medical-drama television series first aired on RTÉ One, an Irish television channel. He appeared as Dante Gabriel Rossetti in Desperate Romantics (2009; six episodes), a costume-drama television series first aired on BBC Two, a U.K. television network.

Since 2009, he has been appearing as John Mitchell in Being Human.

Turner has also appeared in several films, including two short films as well as appearing as Mal in the feature film Alarm (2008).

Rob Kazinsky - Fili

Robert Kazinsky (born Robert John Appleby; 18 November 1983) is an English actor and model. He is best known for his appearance as Casper Rose in Sky One drama Dream Team in 2005/2006 and Sean Slater in the BBC One soap opera EastEnders from 2006 to 2009.

Kazinsky was born in Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England, the son of Phyllis and Paul Appleby, and grew up in Brighton. He has an older brother, Michael. Kazinsky is Jewish, descended from immigrants from Poland and Russia. He was educated at Hove Park School in Hove, from 1995-2000. Kazinsky was expelled from both Hove Park School and later, his college. He appeared in their productions of Bugsy Malone and A Midsummer Night's Dream. He achieved a grade B in his drama GCSE in 2000.

Kazinsky trained as an actor at the Guildford School of Acting from September 2002 to July 2005. He took his grandfather's middle name as his stage name. He has appeared in Israeli television commercials. He made his acting debut in 2005 when he had a guest role in an episode of the CBBC children's show The Basil Brush Show, playing a character named Sven Garley. He then got a role in Sky One's football drama Dream Team where he played Casper Rose from late 2005 until 2006, when he was killed off towards the end of the ninth series after Kazinsky announced his intention to leave.

It was announced on 18 May 2006 that he would be playing Sean Slater in EastEnders, and he made his first appearance on 22 August 2006.

It was announced on 18 January 2008 that Kazinsky, after starring in the soap since August 2006, will leave EastEnders. Speaking to This Morning on 31 July 2008, Kazinsky confirmed that he would not be pursuing a career in Hollywood but would instead begin an apprenticeship as a mechanic when he leaves EastEnders, saying: 'With the writers' strike and the newly confirmed actors' strike, it's not the best time to go (To America)'.

Kazinsky has also been penning a new television series inspired by Sex and the City which is set to air sometime in 2010. George Lucas offered him a part in his new Second World War fighter film Red Tails. Kazinsky plays a "pilot who has to adapt to being among African-American comrades."

On YouTube, Kazinsky was featured as the presenter in the EastEnders launch video since they had launched their new video channel on Youtube.

Graham McTavish - Dwalin

Graham McTavish (born 1961) is a British television actor.

He has played the character Warden Ackerman in Red Dwarf in five episodes of series 8. McTavish has also had many supporting roles in British dramas and films such as Casualty, Jekyll, The Bill, Taggart and Sisterhood. He also played the ill-tempered Mercenary Commander Lewis in Rambo, had a role as Desmond's drill sergeant in the fourth season of Lost, starred in Ali G Indahouse as a Customs Officer and played a Russian pirate in NCIS. He played Ferguson in 4 episodes of season 4 of Prison Break. He has also starred in the film Green Street 2 which was released on 23rd March 2009. McTavish provided the voice and motion capture work for the evil psychopath war criminal Zoran Lazarevic in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, the voice of the main protagonist Dante Alighieri in Dante's Inferno, Restoration leader Commander Lucius in the Shadow Complex video game, and the Decepticon Thundercracker in Transformers: War for Cybertron. He played Russian Foreign Minister Mikhail Novakovich in the eight season of 24. McTavish has also been cast in upcoming film The Wicker Tree, Robin Hardy's much anticipated sequel to 1973's The Wicker Man.

John Callen - Oin

John Callen has been a voiceover artist for more than 35 years. He has performed in hundreds of radio plays and narrated more than 120 documentaries as well as a variety of commercial work, straight and character, for New Zealand and around the world. A true professional and a pleasure to work with.

Stephen Hunter - Bombur

Unwittingly cast as "the clown" from an early age, Stephen is at home with comedy roles, and has developed a great sense of comic timing from his many years on stage. This has resulted in him being cast in dozens of comedic roles in TVC's, and Television Comedy. Stephen is also a very strong dramatic actor, scoring leading guest roles in many TV dramas. And he keeps himself sharp for the next role with regular "Meisner" training at The Actors Pulse in Redfern.

Mark Hadlow - Dori

Mark Hadlow (born 1957) is a New Zealand actor and comedian. Hadlow is perhaps best known internationally for the role of Harry in King Kong.

Hadlow's early film appearances were in serious roles, such as in Beyond Reasonable Doubt, but he is perhaps better known in New Zealand for his comedy roles, particularly in the television sitcom Willy Nilly, and some of the voices for the 1989 Peter Jackson puppet film, Meet the Feebles. He also starred alongside New Zealand Maori comedian, Billy T James in "The Billy T James Show". Hadlow has also released an audio CD called "Tall Tales". It consists of classic children's stories narrated and performed with a Kiwi twist.

Between films and television, Hadlow works in Christchurch's Court Theatre, where he has directed, produced, and acted in many plays. Hadlow is known for interacting with the audience whenever possible. This is made easy in the theatre's intimate, 200-seat setting, where the audience is literally next to the stage.

While appearing in a one-man play, he met his wife. They met in the audience before the start of the play because Hadlow always started off in the audience. In his wife's words, "this nice man who I didn't recognise sat next to me and we started chatting. Within minutes he knew a lot about me. Suddenly he got up and started acting in the play."

Peter Hambleton - Gloin

Joined the Council in 1996. Graduate – New Zealand Drama School. A well-known actor and theatre director, Peter has worked in stage, radio, television and film. His many performances at Circa include A Doll’s House, I Hate Hamlet, Angels in America, Arcadia, The Herbal Bed, The Bach, Copenhagen (for which he won a Chapmann Tripp Theatre Award for Actor of the Year), Democracy, Home Land, and Who wants to be 100?. He has directed Marathon, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Wait Until Dark and All the World’s a Stage. Recipient of the SGCNZ Artistic Fellowship to Shakespeare’s Globe 2002, and Winston Churchill Fellowship 2007. Member of the Programming Committee. One of the capital’s most well known actors, Peter has appeared in over 70 professional productions, most recently at Circa in Blood Wedding, and in Four Flat Whites in Italy. Earlier this year he starred in The Letter Writer during the NZ International Arts Festival, and he takes the stage next in The Birthday Boy. As a director his work includes Marathon and All The World’s A Stage in Circa Two, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Wait Until Dark, and last year’s comedy hit The 39 Steps. Peter is a Circa Council Member, a winner of several Chapman Tripp Theatre Awards, and was awarded a S.G.C.N.Z. International Artistic Fellowship to Shakespeare’s Globe in London (2002), and a Winston Churchill Fellowship to study Shakespeare productions in the U.K. (2008).

James Nesbitt – Bofur

James Nesbitt (born 15 January 1965) is a Northern Irish actor. Born in Ballymena, County Antrim, Nesbitt grew up in the nearby village of Broughshane, before moving to Coleraine, County Londonderry. He wanted to become a teacher, like his father, so began a degree in French at the University of Ulster. He dropped out after a year when he decided to become an actor, and transferred to the Central School of Speech and Drama in London. After graduating in 1987, he spent seven years performing in plays that varied from the musical Up on the Roof (1987, 1989) to the political drama Paddywack (1994). He made his feature film debut playing talent agent Fintan O’Donnell in Hear My Song (1991).
Nesbitt got his breakthrough television role playing Adam Williams in the romantic comedy-drama Cold Feet (1998–2003), which won him a British Comedy Award, a Television and Radio Industries Club Award, and a National Television Award. His first significant film role came when he appeared as pig farmer “Pig” Finn in Waking Ned (1998). With the rest of the starring cast, Nesbitt was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award. In Lucky Break (2001), he made his debut as a film lead playing prisoner Jimmy Hands. The next year, he played Ivan Cooper in the television film Bloody Sunday, about the 1972 shootings in Derry. A departure from his previous “cheeky chappie” roles, the film was a turning point in his career. He won a British Independent Film Award and was nominated for the British Academy Television Award for Best Actor.
Nesbitt has also starred in Murphy’s Law (2001–2007) as undercover detective Tommy Murphy—a role that was created for him by writer Colin Bateman. The role twice gained Nesbitt Best Actor nominations at the Irish Film & Television Awards (IFTA). In 2004, he starred in the fact-based drama Wall of Silence as the father of a murdered boy, a role that gained him another IFTA nomination. In 2007, he starred in the dual role of Tom Jackman and Mr Hyde in Steven Moffat’s Jekyll, which earned him a Golden Globe Award nomination in 2008. Nesbitt has since appeared in several more dramatic roles; he starred alongside Liam Neeson in Five Minutes of Heaven (2009), and was one of three lead actors in the television miniseries Occupation (2009) and The Deep (2010). He also has roles in the movies Outcast (2010) and Emilio Estevez’s The Way (2010).
Nesbitt is married to former actress Sonia Forbes-Adam, with whom he has two daughters. He is a patron of numerous charities and in 2010 accepted the ceremonial position of Chancellor of the University of Ulster.

Adam Brown – Ori

Adam (born 29 May 1980) trained in Performing Arts at Middlesex University, London with John Wright. He is co-founder of the comedy theatre company ‘Plested and Brown’ and has written and performed in all seven shows to date: Carol Smillie Trashed my Room, The Reconditioned Wife Show, Flamingo Flamingo Flamingo, Hot Pursuit, Minor Spectacular, Health & Stacey and the most recent The Perfect Wife Roadshow. He is a regular at the Edinburgh Festival and has toured with his company across the UK as well as performances in Armenia, South Korea and New Zealand.
With the rest of the ‘Plested and Brown’ team (Amanda Wilsher and Clare Plested) he has worked with David Sant (Peepolykus), Phelim McDermot (Improbable/Adams Family Musical), Cal McCrystal (Mighty Boosh) and Toby Wilsher (Meta Morpho/Trestle). For the past four years Adam has delighted audiences at the Corn Exchange, Newbury in the Christmas pantomime. Most recently Adam has appeared as Oswald Potter in a new children’s series for the BBC. He can also be seen in a several commercials (Money Supermarket, Cheesestrings, Standard Life & Virgin).

Ken Stott - Balin
Bio coming soon

Jed Brophy - Nori
Bio coming soon

William Kircher - Bifur
Bio coming soon

Cate Blanchett - Galadriel
Bio coming soon

Sylvester McCoy - Radagast the Brown

Sylvester McCoy (born 20 August 1943) is a British actor. A comic act and busker he appeared regularly on stage and on BBC Children’s television in the 1970s and 80s but is best known for playing the seventh incarnation of the Doctor in the long-running science fiction television series Doctor Who from 1987 to 1989 and a brief return in a television movie in 1996. He came to prominence as a member of the comedy act “The Ken Campbell Roadshow”. His best known act was as a stuntman character called “Sylveste McCoy” in a play entitled An Evening with Sylveste McCoy (the name was coined by actor Brian Murphy, part of the Roadshow at the time), where his stunts included putting a fork and nails up his nose and stuffing ferrets down his trousers, and setting his head on fire. As a joke, the programme notes listed Sylveste McCoy as played by “Sylveste McCoy” and, after a reviewer missed the joke and assumed that Sylveste McCoy was a real person, Kent-Smith adopted this as his stage name. Some years later, on discovering that there were thirteen letters in ‘Sylveste McCoy’ and feeling that this might be unlucky, McCoy added an ‘r’ to the end of ‘Sylveste’.[citation needed] Notable television appearances before he gained the role of the Doctor included roles in Vision On (where he played Pepe/Epep, a character who lived in the mirror), an O-Man in Jigsaw and Tiswas. He also appeared in Eureka, often suffering from the inventions of Wilf Lunn. McCoy also portrayed, in one-man shows on the stage, two famous movie comedians: Stan Laurel and Buster Keaton. He also appeared as Henry “Birdie” Bowers in the 1985 television serial about Robert Falcon Scott’s last Antarctic expedition, The Last Place on Earth. McCoy also had a small role in the 1979 film Dracula opposite Laurence Olivier and Donald Pleasence.

Mikael Persbrandt - Beorn
Bio coming soon

Ryan Gage - Drogo Baggins
Bio coming soon

TORn Official Cast Page

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 9 2010, 6:15am)

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 5:16am

Post #2 of 189 (7647 views)
Shortcut
Congrats all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to middle earth!

The Trees will have their revenge! And they will have it in glorious 2D!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2010, 5:22am

Post #3 of 189 (7730 views)
Shortcut
Links to pics [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=288146#288146

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=288218#288218

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Oct 22 2010, 5:25am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2010, 5:26am

Post #4 of 189 (7631 views)
Shortcut
Awesome news! Congrats to them all! I really like... [In reply to] Can't Post

that most are unknowns and that Bilbo is well respected but still not a household face.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Oct 22 2010, 5:27am)

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 6:16am

Post #5 of 189 (8120 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Martin. I have so much confidence in him being a quality, lovable, vulnerable, yet determined Bilbo Baggins. This is fantastic news. If we next hear that the production will stay in NZ, then pretty much everything will line up as well as I could imagine.

Edit: And no offense to Elijah's British accent (this may be a sacrilege), but it will be nice to have the main character be able to focus solely on delivery and performance rather than pronunciation. Call me crazy but I just never quite "felt it" with regard to Elijah's accent in LotR.

(This post was edited by Growlithe the Grey on Oct 22 2010, 6:21am)

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2010, 6:28am

Post #6 of 189 (8197 views)
Shortcut
I am completely at Jackson's mercy here [In reply to] Can't Post

With the exception of Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage, I have never seen these actors before.

My concern is that PJ's casting has been hit-and-miss for me. For the life of me, I cannot imagine what he saw in Richard Armitage that suggested Thorin. But I guess all I can do is wait until I see photos and footage of these guys before I pass judgment.

But I am thrilled by Freeman, and excited at the prospect of getting Bill Nighy for Smaug.

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 6:32am

Post #7 of 189 (7840 views)
Shortcut
And I must say [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm intrigued by the possibility of Bill Nighy for the voice of Smaug. Yes, there will need to be some adjustments in post to make it booming when appropriate but when he's engaged in conversation with Bilbo it would be great to hear that hint of "upper crust" and "royalty" that Smaug has or at least thinks of himself as having and that Bilbo exploits.

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2010, 6:39am

Post #8 of 189 (7793 views)
Shortcut
I can't help [In reply to] Can't Post

But picture Smaug with Bill Nighy's Davy Jones voice.

"Mastah Bagginsah. Do you feeaar deathuh?"

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 6:44am

Post #9 of 189 (8161 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on all points [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My concern is that PJ's casting has been hit-and-miss for me. For the life of me, I cannot imagine what he saw in Richard Armitage that suggested Thorin. But I guess all I can do is wait until I see photos and footage of these guys before I pass judgment.

Yeah, I really hate to speak anything negative about the Rings trilogy, because it was so great. However, and again, this might not be popular opinion, but I felt Elijah almost ruined the whole thing. And don't mistake me - I don't think it's because he put on a bad performance nor is that any kind of reflection of his acting ability. For me, he just simply didn't feel right. He was so cutesy and bug-eyed that I found it distracting at times. And bless the man, but he can't yell without sounding pathetic haha. That aside, for good or ill, Elijah is, and now always shall be Frodo, and I don't honestly have a "problem" with it any more. But on rare occasion, I sometimes stare into the night sky and wonder what the film might have been like with a slightly less cherubic Frodo.

Alas, I digress... For the Hobbit(s), the only actor on this list that I know anything of is Martin. Seeing as the casting of Bilbo could make or break the whole thing, I'm extremely thankful that they made, in my mind, a great choice.

In Reply To
But I am thrilled by Freeman, and excited at the prospect of getting Bill Nighy for Smaug.

I totally skimmed over that possibility previously, and now that I find he could perhaps be the voice I'm even more excited. He would be an absolutely brilliant Smaug. Take a little bit of the bombast away from Davey Jones and add a sprinkle of smugness and regality and you've got it. I have no doubt that guy would be perfect.

(This post was edited by Growlithe the Grey on Oct 22 2010, 6:46am)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 22 2010, 7:03am

Post #10 of 189 (7556 views)
Shortcut
Big congrats to all the announced cast members [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to welcome all the new cast members to Middle-earth, they are about to go on an amazing ride that will change their lives forever. I can't wait to see how that family grows in the coming days and weeks.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 7:11am

Post #11 of 189 (8230 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and if you're listening Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think you are truly magnificent! And I assure you I am not one of those miserable, tub-thumping lake men!

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2010, 7:32am

Post #12 of 189 (7635 views)
Shortcut
Visit this link [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson discusses his casting choices.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/...s-hobbit/#more-30673

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 22 2010, 8:24am

Post #13 of 189 (7841 views)
Shortcut
Great calls in general [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we are awaiting Balin & the other dwarves, Beorn, Thranduil, Itaril, among others.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 8:34am

Post #14 of 189 (8227 views)
Shortcut
Casting [In reply to] Can't Post

Very exciting news to wake upto!!

I was never convinced with Freeman as Bilbo, but after seeing him in a few more things recently i trust in PJ's decision.
Thrilled that Armitage is in it but i didn't see him as Thorin, i always imagined him as being a bit more 'robust'. I saw Armitage as more of a Bard, but i know PJ looks for actors for his main roles who'll become like family as well as being a fantastic actor, so i think it's a great choice.
Good to see Being Human, Eastenders and Red Dwarf actors in there too!! Laugh

Bexlin
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 8:52am

Post #15 of 189 (8115 views)
Shortcut
Some fantastic news for a change!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them all, would have prefered Richard Armitage as the Bard, but at least he is in it!!!

Huan71
Lorien

Oct 22 2010, 9:26am

Post #16 of 189 (8283 views)
Shortcut
I recognise... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The British/Irish lot. Though many 'Outsiders' would see them as unknowns, they are pretty well known on these Isles.
I used to watch Being Human and rate Aidan Turner as a pretty good actor. He's one that lots of the girls like, but is not too smooth. More kinda ruff and unkempt! Crazy

It's good to see a few New Zealander's names in there. I don't recognise them, but i'm sure PJ has chosen wisely and they will do their nation proud!

And Bill Nighy. That is a very good and clever choice. I am REALLY looking forward to hearing how his voice comes out once they've done the 'creative stuff' with it!

BTW...It mentioned 'Charles II ' in Martin Freeman's bio. A highly rated television drama, well worth a watch if you like your historical TV !

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 22 2010, 10:33am

Post #17 of 189 (9263 views)
Shortcut
Roles yet to be announced? [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's make a list.. help me out here

Balin & other dwarves?
Legolas?
Thranduil
Beorn
Voice of Smaug
Bard
Itaril
Primula?
Elrond
Galadriel
Radagast?
Celeborn
William, Tom, Bert (voices)
Master of Laketown

Gollum & Gandy: I hope we can assume that this isn't even discussed.

Probably forgotten some.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

luvgabe
The Shire

Oct 22 2010, 10:45am

Post #18 of 189 (7755 views)
Shortcut
Very excited about "The Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know most, if not all, of the actors who have been cast thus far. But their pics and bios, and Peter Jackson's comments, inspire confidence. The pace is quickening, the pieces are coming together. WooHoo! Let's hope the silly leaders of the actors' union, esp. the at-once clueless and maliciouis Helen Kelly, get purged, so that "The Hobbit" remains in New Zealand, the closest we mortals can get to Middle-earth.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

ShyElf
Lorien

Oct 22 2010, 12:28pm

Post #19 of 189 (7416 views)
Shortcut
Agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I can't wait to find out who else will be/has been cast.

But after the emotional rollercoaster I experienced regarding the Hobbit this week - this a wonderful thing to find this morning!!!

<....breath.....relax....>

Cheers!

Lillith
The Shire

Oct 22 2010, 12:29pm

Post #20 of 189 (9375 views)
Shortcut
New Here - Dumb Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I am brand new to this forum. I have no idea how to just enter a post. The only "button" I see is the "reply to post" one at the top of each new post. Usually there is a separate button at the top or bottom of the thread. I do not necessarily want to "reply" to a particular post.

What am I doing wrong? I am so sorry to bother - I just do not know how to enter a new post.

~ Lillith

THANKS! I JUST FIGURED IT OUT. SILLY ME.

Now I can post my thoughts!

(This post was edited by Lillith on Oct 22 2010, 12:31pm)

Lillith
The Shire

Oct 22 2010, 12:50pm

Post #21 of 189 (7705 views)
Shortcut
Putting My Trust in Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, when the casting came out for LOTR (that long time ago), I had misgivings about some of the casting choices of Peter. But PJ's vision was wonderful and I was very pleased with his choices after I saw the films.

The only thing I worried about this time around is whether PJ would get "another" actor to play Gandalf. As for the choices that PJ has made, I trust he will come through as he did in LOTR. I am not familiar with most of these actors. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Now my fingers are crossed that the film stays in New Zealand. I cannot imagine trying to recreate Hobbiton in any other country. The rest of the scenes can be done in studios, but Hobbiton belongs in New Zealand.

The Party Tree
Lorien

Oct 22 2010, 1:34pm

Post #22 of 189 (7392 views)
Shortcut
Cameo idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Remembering how great John Ryes-Davies was as both Gimli AND the voice of Treebeard, I was thinking that one way to bring in a few other actors from the trilogy would be to give them voice parts (i.e. the trolls, any talking animals, etc.)

With enough vocal manipulation, I think it would be subtle enough not to cheapen the movie, but to bring back some familiar voices.

Just letting my imagination run wild. :3

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 1:37pm

Post #23 of 189 (7633 views)
Shortcut
OMG!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow..... big news!......

Ok.... let's see....

Martin Freeman - Excellent choice....

Richard Armitage - Thorin?!?!?!... I'm, so surprised!..... I mean, this is a BIG role, but i still picture him as Bard!... me and others proposed him for Bard, so... oh well, still congrats to him for this selection!!!....

Bill Nighy - Smaug - I agree with McCere, not sure.... mmmhh... He'll have to make a huge work so he doesn't sound "too much Nighy"... and become a real Smaug.... a proper one..... I trust his huge talent will get the best on this!.....

and.... when we will know more cast?!?!?!?!..... heheheehehe...

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

rings7
Rohan

Oct 22 2010, 1:38pm

Post #24 of 189 (7523 views)
Shortcut
Seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

what a fabulous day was last night for all Hobbit fans. The news we were all waiting for finally arrived. Congrats to all who landed a role, especially Martin Freeman who was my TOP choice since day one for Bilbo!!

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Oct 22 2010, 1:41pm

Post #25 of 189 (7235 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you duats! // [In reply to] Can't Post

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.