Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
NZ Government To Meet Warners On Tuesday

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 9:45pm

Post #1 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut
NZ Government To Meet Warners On Tuesday Can't Post

Government Ministers will be meeting representatives from Warner Brothers in a bid to ensure The Hobbit is made in New Zealand
A meeting between Warner Brothers and the Government will be held on Tuesday.
A spokesman for economic development minister Gerry Brownlee says the meeting will be attended by Warner representatives, the minister and the Prime Minister.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=184493

This is good news. It shows Warners are still interested in getting things sorted in NZ and have not yet decided to move The Hobbit to England.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 14 (465 views)
Shortcut
I agree good news [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt sincerely that they're going to meet just to tell them there's nothing they can say and they've made up their mind to move.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2010, 9:48pm

Post #3 of 14 (466 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Representatives from SPADA and NZAE should be present, to ensure WB that no further industrial actions will be taken against The Hobbit in light of recent negotiations between the two organizations.

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 9:52pm

Post #4 of 14 (468 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure Warners wants to keep the production in New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the money they've already spent, and with everyone involved wanting to keep it there, i'm hoping that government officials (along with PJ, Phillipa, and Fran) can convince them it's still a good decision.

*fingers crossed!*

TEAM MARTIN!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 10:01pm

Post #5 of 14 (453 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner Brothers, NZAE, NZ Goverment officials, SPADA, and Peter Jackson Co.

Battle of Five Armies?

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Eorl the Young
The Shire

Oct 21 2010, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 14 (443 views)
Shortcut
That is a positive development. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully an agreement will be made to keep these films in NZ. The Kiwi's deserve it. PJ's camp deserves it more than anybody after so much time and effort has been spent here. It has been troubling seeing and listening to him, Philippa, and Fran this week. They are all obviously a bit helpless and drained. Hoping the NZ government can put their foot down on the range of influence MEAA can have in NZ film matters going forward.

Finrod
Rohan

Oct 21 2010, 10:19pm

Post #7 of 14 (445 views)
Shortcut
Warner vs Warners [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do the Kiwis all keep calling the company “Warners?

There’s no “s” at the end. It’s just “Warner”, as in Warner Bros., as in Warner Brothers. The brothers Warner are both Warners, I suppose, but still! It just isn’t the company’s name, so why in the world do they all keep saying it? Is this trade-talk I’m not privy to, or mere sloppiness?

It’s all so loose and folksy. Rather reminds me of McDonalds. Or grocers.

Or Mars.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 10:22pm

Post #8 of 14 (427 views)
Shortcut
I've always assumed [In reply to] Can't Post

that it's a shortening of Warner Brothers. But you know what they say about assumptions.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

overlithe64
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 10:35pm

Post #9 of 14 (403 views)
Shortcut
news ppl shorthand I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

they've ' out the bro Warner' (bro) s

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

overlithe64
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 10:37pm

Post #10 of 14 (399 views)
Shortcut
God I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

I know in my heart that Peter would make it work even if forced to move the production; but in my heart I feel it won't be the same...

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 10:38pm

Post #11 of 14 (417 views)
Shortcut
Warners is not a Kiwi term, it is sort of trade talk [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter uses it and as such it has spread in the NZ media because of that, but it is not a Kiwi term.

For example, look at the headlines here

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/superman-batman-apocalyse-movie-100629.html
http://io9.com/5497988/warners-unveil-dc-movie-strategy-maybe
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/09/25/what-kind-of-superman-movie-does-warners-want/

etc...

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 11:45pm

Post #12 of 14 (375 views)
Shortcut
Heh! I cannot help but keep on making Tolkien comparisons, myself [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a long struggle to make the LOTR films, and now the Hobbit suffers the same way.

It's like an epic quest against the odds sometimes, you know? Both epic quests end with the 'good guys' winning. Now this isn't a fight of good and evil, necessarily, but certainly a fight that the majority of us here want the NZers to win to keep the films in NZ.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

sharku
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 14 (445 views)
Shortcut
My takes [In reply to] Can't Post

A similar vein would be to complain that it should be TOR.N

Although the want-to-be grammar Nazi in me does share a sympathy with your contention.

My take on this - and yes, you can later say you read it here first:

1) It will be made in NZ.

2) The studio's position has been purposed to seriously kick the PR out of the MEAA-Equity alliance. This mission (will be) accomplished, including the fast tracking of legislation to ensure such for the future. This is what happens when a union overplays its hand and Das Kapital is relatively free to take its toys and leave.

3) The Warner Brother's statement is carefully crafted to allow them to grandly (and magnificently) announce the saviour of the filming in NZ against the dastardly deeds of the MEAA-Equity alliance.

Das Kapital 1
Labour 0

(This post was edited by sharku on Oct 21 2010, 11:48pm)

R11
Lorien

Oct 22 2010, 12:13am

Post #14 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
I agree with all that [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never really felt the movies would move at any time myself. It's all saber rattling at this point IMO. That said, still keeping my fingers crossed though Smile

ron

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.