Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Line issues statement about 'Hobbit' boycott
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 21 2010, 2:07pm

Post #1 of 30 (1908 views)
Shortcut
New Line issues statement about 'Hobbit' boycott Can't Post

The media in New Zealand has been careful to give both sides of the dispute regarding the Australian and New Zealand actors' unions and the possibilities that the two-part "Hobbit" production might leave the nation's shores. Union spokespersons have claimed in several interviews (look down our page for video) that movie studios knew of the lifting of the "do not work" ban, something Peter Jackson and Philipa Boyens have denied in the same interviews. Now New Line Cinema has released an official statement regarding the entire dispute.

Recent reports that the boycott of The Hobbit was lifted by unions a number of days ago and that Warner Bros asked to delay this announcement are false. It was not until last night that we received confirmation of the retractions from SAG, NZ Equity and AFTRA through press reports. We are still awaiting retractions from the other guilds. While we have been attempting to receive an unconditional retraction of the improper Do Not Work Orders for almost a month, NZ Equity/MEAA continued to demand, as a condition of the retractions, that we participate in union negotiations with the independent contractor performers, which negotiations are illegal in the opinion of the New Zealand Attorney General. We have refused to do so, and will continue to refuse to do so. The actions of these unions have caused us substantial damage and disruption and forced us to consider other filming locations for the first time. Alternative locations are still being considered.

This is the first official statement about the dispute from the studios. As always, stay tuned.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 21 2010, 7:41pm

Post #2 of 30 (1222 views)
Shortcut
That makes it sound [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes it sound like the future of The Hobbit is still very much in the hands of the unions, and if they agree to step away completely, then the path should be clear. Let's hope sanity prevails.

* crunch *

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 30 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they're only calling off the cheese sandwich on the condition that Warners enter the illegal negatiations? That's not a very effective way of calling off a cheese sandwich. Crazy

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 30 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Wow... they still haven't received retractions from all the guilds. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad

What the...?

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Junesong
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 7:55pm

Post #5 of 30 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Bad Strategy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Jackson put it best in the Hobbiton Set interview when he said that they brought out an atomic weapon for the very first move.

Right off the bat, a boycott.

Whatever the grievances of the Unions, or the needs of the actors that's just plain bad strategy. And it's a strategy that ensures that no matter how this all plays out the Unions involved are going to look like complete jokes. Like the Prime Minister said recently: (paraphrasing) "...this could have been avoided if [the Unions] had been even minimally competent."

Ouch.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer."

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 30 (1169 views)
Shortcut
And if they end up moving to...let's say...the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Will they really be able to find locations for all of the scenes? I start to worry more and more about Avatarization of these films. :(

The Trees will have their revenge! And they will have it in glorious 2D!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 8:47pm

Post #7 of 30 (1094 views)
Shortcut
No that's what they WERE doing - they've given up on that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2010, 8:48pm

Post #8 of 30 (1117 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't there an article recently where NZAE admitted that their demands had no legal standing?

Does anyone remember which article that was?

JAMBO

Oct 21 2010, 8:50pm

Post #9 of 30 (1092 views)
Shortcut
retractions from all the guilds [In reply to] Can't Post

just checked, there is no retraction from the british actors guild on there website as yet

JJ Moon
The Shire

Oct 21 2010, 9:00pm

Post #10 of 30 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't this the first official statement from 9/27/10? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.deadline.com/...jacksons-the-hobbit/

"New Line, Warner Bros. Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures are concerned by the recent allegations of unfair treatment of actors in New Zealand and instructions from the performers’ guilds to their membership to withhold services from the producers of “The Hobbit” in New Zealand.

We are proud to have good relations with all of those performers’ guilds and value their contribution to the motion pictures produced in their respective jurisdictions throughout the world. But we believe that in this case the allegations are baseless and unfair to Peter Jackson and his team in Wellington who have been tireless supporters of the New Zealand motion picture community.

To classify the production as "non-union" is inaccurate. The cast and crew are being engaged under collective bargaining agreements where applicable and we are mindful of the rights of those individuals pursuant to those agreements. And while we have previously worked with MEAA, an Australian union now seeking to represent actors in New Zealand, the fact remains that there cannot be any collective bargaining with MEAA on this New Zealand production, for to do so would expose the production to liability and sanctions under New Zealand law. This legal prohibition has been explained to MEAA. We are disappointed that MEAA has nonetheless continued to pursue this course of action.

Motion picture production requires the certainty that a production can reasonably proceed without disruption and it is our general policy to avoid filming in locations where there is potential for work force uncertainty or other forms of instability. As such, we are exploring all alternative options in order to protect our business interests."

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 9:01pm

Post #11 of 30 (1056 views)
Shortcut
UK [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Will they really be able to find locations for all of the scenes? I start to worry more and more about Avatarization of these films. :(

There ARE locations - most of Middle-Earth being after all based around the area. Ireland is beautiful and i'm sure you could find a nice Hobbiton in the English countryside. The Lake District could also feature heavily, and there are mountains too, as there are in Scotland and Wales, so i have no worries on that score - the thing is the TEAM has to stay the same - Weta et al.
Great as it would be for us in the UK, obviously i'd prefer it to stay in NZ.

Salmar
Bree

Oct 21 2010, 9:07pm

Post #12 of 30 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Yep! Still here... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.equity.org.uk/article.aspx?id=370

I'm from England but I don't want to see the Hobbit moved to Britain, hope it stays in New Zealand.

Here's link to their so called fact sheet on the Hobbit...lol:-
http://www.equity.org.uk/Documents/Public/Hobbit%20factsheet.pdf

What a bunch of f@!' wits...sorry...just can't believe how farcical this has become. What's up with Britain?

"...In the deep places he gives thought to music great and terrible; and the echo of that music runs through all the veins of the world in sorrow and in joy; for if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth. The Teleri learned much of Ulmo, and for this reason their music has both sadness and enchantment. Salmar came with him to Arda, he who made the horns of Ulmo that none may ever forget who once has heard them..."

"Of the beginning of days", The Silmarillion.

(This post was edited by Salmar on Oct 21 2010, 9:10pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2010, 9:18pm

Post #13 of 30 (1035 views)
Shortcut
New Line is calling for the other guilds to drop their restrictions [In reply to] Can't Post

NZAE is not relevant - it's the other worldwide guilds that have not dropped their ban.

sample

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 21 2010, 9:19pm)

Nerwen
Bree

Oct 21 2010, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 30 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate [In reply to] Can't Post

Recent reports that the boycott of The Hobbit was lifted by unions a number of days ago and that Warner Bros asked to delay this announcement are false.

This just proves to me once again that the NZ Equity representatives have been lying all the time. I know many of us had already said here that their statements about WB sitting on the announcement about the boycott ending were illogical. It's honestly so difficult to take ANYTHING they say at face value anymore. I know both sides are using quite coloured language and presenting the facts from their own point of view, but at least PJ and the Team have not yet been caught lying.

The NZStuff twitter feed recently mentioned

A meeting of actors in Auckland tonight has been cancelled out of safety fears.

Not sure if it's related to this incident in Wellington.

If that's true, things are just getting way too ugly now. :/ However (and I hate to say it), I'm kind of wondering whether things have yet again been blown out of proportion and these "safety fears" are just another tactic to attack the opposite side instead of trying to mend things. I mean surely there are ways to oraganize such a meeting and keep unwanted people out - they've done it before. Couldn't they contact the police if they fear that boycotters are trying to stop people from attending? It just all seems a bit too dramatic to me.

I just watched the two PJ & Philippa interviews and it's absolutely heartbreaking to see them looking so sad and tired. It's clear this is incredibly personal for them. I saw no such emotions on the faces of those two Equity reps despite their proclaiming how sad they are about how far things have gone. I guess they never counted on being in the Hobbit anyway, so they don't really care.

"Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horror in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known
."

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2010, 9:23pm

Post #15 of 30 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Here it is [In reply to] Can't Post

"After days of explanation and legal opinions, including one from the Crown Law Office, Jennifer Ward-Lealand of NZ Equity has admitted that the MEAA’s demands to enter into collective bargaining are in fact illegal."

SOURCE: http://www.theonering.net/...e-hobbit/#more-38874

This is from OCTOBER 1ST. So even after acknowledging that their demands are illegal, they are still trying to get WB to engage in said illegal activity? What an absolute joke.

(This post was edited by duats on Oct 21 2010, 9:24pm)

smokerings
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 9:25pm

Post #16 of 30 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Just came back from Ireland..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the area is perfect for the two films. But again, most of the scenes are done inside and through post. It is only those wonderful landscape Hobbiton and mountain shots that really pay off. Honestly - it makes more economical sense to keep them in NZ - assuming that the confidence is intact for MGM, etc. I cannot imagine this nightmare happening again in the middle of production Shocked

Bound
Rohan

Oct 21 2010, 9:30pm

Post #17 of 30 (1000 views)
Shortcut
X-files fan?? [In reply to] Can't Post

:)

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2010, 9:40pm

Post #18 of 30 (967 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, smokerings [In reply to] Can't Post

Those photos are simply beautiful. They certainly scream "Middle-earth" to me.

Nerwen
Bree

Oct 21 2010, 9:41pm

Post #19 of 30 (960 views)
Shortcut
I thought someone might notice but that was quick! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horror in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known
."

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 9:43pm

Post #20 of 30 (1054 views)
Shortcut
I have been reading New Zealanders' responses on the NZ Herald. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow.

Unimpressed

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Melilot
The Shire

Oct 21 2010, 9:53pm

Post #21 of 30 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Also from the NZ Herald: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Meanwhile the Actors Equity Facebook group has censored its page because of abusive posts. The group has also deleted all posts that do not support the union's position."

Classy.

Bound
Rohan

Oct 21 2010, 10:05pm

Post #22 of 30 (943 views)
Shortcut
To be honest.. [In reply to] Can't Post

My girlfriend was looking over my shoulder and spotted it - she's a huge X-files fan. I've seen em all but she's a die hard nerd...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 21 2010, 10:44pm

Post #23 of 30 (965 views)
Shortcut
Caught lying [In reply to] Can't Post

minor point really, about the meaning of "spontaneous."Angelic

There are a few reasons, imho, that Warners would sit on announcing that they knew the boycott was lifted: the most likely would be that, like any major corporation, they wanted to control the content and substance of their perspective on that turn of events; another could be, they may have wanted to get something more binding than a verbal promise in place before reacting publicly to the news; and yet another reason may be that keeping everyone (even PJ & co) in the dark about the development may serve nefarious designs. Who knows?

Either way, all parties are claiming others are lying. The only recourse in such situations is to try to determine each party's motives. Who has what and how much to lose (personally) is often a fair gauge in the process of discerning truth.

My admiration for GDT walking away from this mess increases every day.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 21 2010, 10:45pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 22 2010, 5:28am

Post #24 of 30 (845 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

We all know that it *is* in fact illegal for Peter to negotiate a new contract with them, so they point-blank lied in that statement. And were these residual payments not exactly what Peter had gotten from Warner for this production? So what's their problem?

One could only laugh about that whole farce if it weren't so sad and the consequences so dire!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 22 2010, 5:34am

Post #25 of 30 (835 views)
Shortcut
Classy, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

While it's ok to delete abusive posts, the fact that they delete everything that doesn't share their opinion, no matter how politely worded, says it all! Nice to see that pointed out in such a place Smile

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.