Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'Warners won't confirm if Hobbit will move from NZ' + new information
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 2:53pm

Post #1 of 48 (821 views)
Shortcut
'Warners won't confirm if Hobbit will move from NZ' + new information Can't Post

New information from a reporter on Radio New Zealand today :

"I've been told by the people at Warners that they've been locked in a meeting all day over The Hobbit. That meeting finished about an hour ago. I've spoken with the Vice President of Publicity & Corporate Communications Candince McDonagh, she won't say whether Sir Peter is right about The Hobbit leaving New Zealand. She would only say that Sir Peter's statement stands alone. Warners is apparently working on a statement but I've been told not to expect it immeadiately."

http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/ckpt/ckpt-20101021-1727-Warners_wont_confirm_if_the_Hobbit_will_move_offshore-048.mp3

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 48 (454 views)
Shortcut
I gotta say I'm appreciatin' you ranger123 and I'm diggin modern technology [In reply to] Can't Post

Old fashioned newspapers of my childhood simply seem waaaayyyy too slow for this impatient fan. Wink

No offense to you old newspaper lovers out there! I still have bad dreams from my 3am paper routes and the smell of newspaper makes me sick LOL!

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Patty
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 48 (457 views)
Shortcut
"Sir Peter's statement stands alone".... [In reply to] Can't Post

what exactly does that mean within this context, I wonder?

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 3:04pm

Post #4 of 48 (446 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully it is a good sign.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Warners have been locked in meetings on this. I think that proves that the decision on where The Hobbit will be made hasn't been reached before today anyway.

It's very interesting to hear that Warners are preparing to release a statement.

Thats the next key thing to look out for now.

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 21 2010, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 48 (416 views)
Shortcut
all is not lost [In reply to] Can't Post

good find. exciting.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 3:21pm

Post #6 of 48 (394 views)
Shortcut
OH! I Hope So!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still get the feeling The Hobbit will stay once Warner Bros reps get to NZ, something can be worked out! How could they possibly move it!?

Thanks for this, ranger123. My stomach's in a knot!!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 3:26pm

Post #7 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
This radio report happened about 12 hours ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

So it might not be long until we get to see this statement from Warners.

Nervous times.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Oct 21 2010, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 48 (382 views)
Shortcut
hope this means NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this means the film stays at NZ

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 3:27pm

Post #9 of 48 (390 views)
Shortcut
Here is a useful news aggregator...Interceder.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://interceder.net/dashboard/The-Hobbit-films

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 3:30pm

Post #10 of 48 (374 views)
Shortcut
I agree, you're doing a great job ranger finding news [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

sphdle1
Gondor

Oct 21 2010, 3:40pm

Post #11 of 48 (369 views)
Shortcut
Sounds positive to me!! [In reply to] Can't Post

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 21 2010, 3:41pm

Post #12 of 48 (388 views)
Shortcut
I Think... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what exactly does that mean within this context, I wonder?

At first read, I took this as a positive sign. Peter is saying he believe's The Hobbit is now in a position where they have to fight to "get it back", meaning they believe it's more likely to leave New Zealand. But if Warner's is saying that his statement is his own, then I took that to mean that an actual decision hasn't been reached. And I saw that as positive, considering all the money, time, effort, set building, hiring, etc. that has already happened in New Zealand.

Then again, they could just be just trying to soften the blow. My gut says it stays in New Zealand.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Patty
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 3:44pm

Post #13 of 48 (405 views)
Shortcut
When Warners comes to NZ next week, NZ needs to do what it does best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seduce them. Angelic

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 4:05pm

Post #14 of 48 (338 views)
Shortcut
Oooooo la la! // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 4:12pm

Post #15 of 48 (368 views)
Shortcut
More positive news [In reply to] Can't Post

It is understood that overseas actors contracted to the movie had tickets booked to fly here and were signing contracts based on New Zealand law.

Also....

The Government may rewrite employment laws and increase the $60 million subsidies available for The Hobbit as it fights to keep the two movies in New Zealand.

From here : http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4261375/Laws-to-change-to-save-Hobbit

Let's think positive!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 4:19pm

Post #16 of 48 (333 views)
Shortcut
Is it easy to change laws in NZ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't that cause another delay while the red tape gets sorted out?

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 4:20pm

Post #17 of 48 (360 views)
Shortcut
And then some negative news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear Unsure

I don't like the sound of this...

Several worrying things in this new article

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4261379/We-may-as-well-not-live-in-NZ

Junesong
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 4:23pm

Post #18 of 48 (334 views)
Shortcut
Surety you crave? Sauron gives none... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember when you were a little kid and you got into a fight with your friend and all of a sudden you were REALLY mad and you were about to start punching your friend and so suddenly he pretended like he was never mad in the first place...

yeah, that's what this is like.

At the end of the Bag End interviews specifically when the two Union reps are talking, it was like the twilight zone. Like they were all surprised that everyone was so upset? Who us?

Anyway, it's looking good for everyone though. Sounds like things will stay where they are. If Jackson wanted NZ to send a message to the world that they were safe for shooting I think they are sending that message pretty loudly now.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer."

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 21 2010, 4:27pm

Post #19 of 48 (326 views)
Shortcut
Says it could happen in a few weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

If the NZ Government gives their word that he law will be changed thing the exact timing doesnt matter too much.

But after seeing the latest interview with PJ where he said he has to make a list of 150 staff to bring with him to the UK, I'm rapidly losing faith again that it will happen in NZ.....

Unsure

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 4:29pm

Post #20 of 48 (333 views)
Shortcut
PJ would be able to take 150 Kiwi crew with him? [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds promising. See, he can bring the talented and passionate ones wherever he goes. Smile

Patty
Immortal

Oct 21 2010, 4:40pm

Post #21 of 48 (308 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what that Robyn Malcom would say in answer to Phillipa's ... [In reply to] Can't Post

attempt to put her in the picture.

She says she doesn't believe a few NZ actors could derail the project, but then Phillipa tells her how they evoked all the other major actor unions around the world. Is she that clueless that she didn't understand that? I wonder what she said after PB pointed that out.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 4:42pm

Post #22 of 48 (300 views)
Shortcut
Promising? [In reply to] Can't Post

But what about the other 2350+? No, I don't feel that is promising, I feel only very sorry for Peter. That would be a terrible decision to make.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2010, 4:50pm

Post #23 of 48 (278 views)
Shortcut
It's better than nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

Much, much better. And I'm sure he'd pick only the best of the best to come along with him, so it's not as if each of the 2350 are equal to each of the 150.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Oct 21 2010, 4:57pm

Post #24 of 48 (268 views)
Shortcut
Sounds to me like... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ is trying a last ditch effort to get the press to pressure WB into keeping the production in NZ. Hope it works. Guess I'll be biting my nails until Monday. Say a prayer, cross your fingers, or try some voodoo...whatever works for you, do whatever it takes to make the production stay in NZ. Wink

Photobucket
<<< There is a long road yet >>>

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 21 2010, 4:59pm

Post #25 of 48 (260 views)
Shortcut
How would you feel [In reply to] Can't Post

if you were one of the 2350 to stay behind? I can't help but wonder if they then get the feeling that they get told they're not good enough and don't deserve to have the job. Particularly after thinking they have the job for sure. It would be terribly disappointing, IMHO. And I can't help but wonder how many are long-term staffers of Weta and will lose their job in that case?

Sorry, I know you want the production to come to your home, but my sympathies are still with the NZ people.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.