What makes a forum function?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 6:01pm

Post #26 of 36 (252 views)
Shortcut
*hugs old forum* [In reply to] Can't Post

You've pointed out the difference between a house and a home, a church building and a church. We have a new house here, but it's still the same family. We might have more room to spread out a bit and stretch, and more fun toys to play with. But it's the people that really make it. And great admins make it possible for us to be together without being overrun by trolls. All the rest is icing on the cake. Yummy icing, to be sure...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 6:19pm

Post #27 of 36 (309 views)
Shortcut
{{{hugs Aunt Dora}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You've pointed out the difference between a house and a home, a church building and a church. We have a new house here, but it's still the same family. We might have more room to spread out a bit and stretch, and more fun toys to play with. But it's the people that really make it. And great admins make it possible for us to be together without being overrun by trolls. All the rest is icing on the cake. Yummy icing, to be sure...

Because it's the people who make the home, and the people who make the community. People who come up with new things that become traditions because other people want them to and care to see them continue. People (members AND Admins---I like to think Admins are people Wink) are what make Torn so great and unique.

I mean, I lurked for years on a famous (infamous, sometimes) USENET Tolkien group. I learned a lot about Tolkien. That's all I can say.

And even though it was the subject of Tolkien that brought me to the Torn boards, and Tolkien related subjects that keep me in the RR most times, it's the people I found at Torn who make it homelike and make me want to be here and want to come back.

Just like my own real home, the warped wood on my patio door that is interfering with it opening all the way, and the couches that could really use new covers, and the old refrigerator that doesn't even have a drinking water or ice dispenser in the door (my kids are always on about that!)---none of those things make me any less happy to walk through the door at the end of a long working day. They are the little quirks I put up with to live in the place with the people I love, and if I change places to a brand spanking new house I will still drag those same people along with me and we'll be so happy to have a new refrigerator. But it won't be any more or less of a home.

a.s. (waxing all sentimental about the old boards, too...)

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 6:41pm

Post #28 of 36 (233 views)
Shortcut
*Tries to resist the urge to ask if Advising Elf is TORN's warped wood ....fails* [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding, AE!

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 7:10pm

Post #29 of 36 (240 views)
Shortcut
Why I think this is a great place to be: [In reply to] Can't Post

For myself, one of the greatest things about being a member of the TORn forums is the depth of discussions and topics of debate we choose. We're here because of a common interest, but it is how we choose to express ourselves that set us above the norm.

There are a number of very intelligent people posting here, and when I get a reply to one of my posts or one of my threads is popular, it's simply the greatest thrill because I feel as though I've truly earned something. It's silly I know, but I really feel that way.
I feel as though I'm challenged here, to enlighten the discussions and contribute something. The best forums are probably those that do just that to the average forum goer.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 8:49pm

Post #30 of 36 (216 views)
Shortcut
{{a.s.}} [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like to think Admins are people

LaughI can personally vouch for the fact, having hugged a couple of them in person. Yep, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Here, let me draw you a Venn diagram...Tongue

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 10:39pm

Post #31 of 36 (216 views)
Shortcut
I think this is a really good point [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the attitude in some forums is how inarticulate and poorly typed/spelled can I make my post? How many crude or insulting words can I throw around to look more grownup than I seem? How often can I say, "I can't be bothered to look that up." or "Who wants to know that kind of stuff anyway."

It is so wonderfully refreshing to visit a place where people are unassumingly articulate and intelligent but without being snooty or exclusive. I'm glad that people are challenged to think a little more and edit a little more. I think it does, in the end, make for a more satisfying existence than a snarky, low brow atmosphere. We're happier here because we're tapping into the good parts of ourselves and the concept of community.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 12:01am

Post #32 of 36 (236 views)
Shortcut
Eye thnk UR jst 2 sweet 4 sayin that! /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Stop reading these words

right now!

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2007, 3:47am

Post #33 of 36 (244 views)
Shortcut
Not drooling over the keyboard?... [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2015, 10:58pm

Post #34 of 36 (151 views)
Shortcut
la di da // [In reply to] Can't Post

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2015, 10:58pm

Post #35 of 36 (150 views)
Shortcut

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2015, 10:59pm

Post #36 of 36 (150 views)
Shortcut

-- Thomas Moore

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.