Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
NZ March Reports - Hobbit already moving??
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 20 2010, 7:07am

Post #1 of 73 (1924 views)
Shortcut
NZ March Reports - Hobbit already moving?? Can't Post

With the news that the NZ Equity Meeting was canceled last night, we are now getting some reports from the ground. Below you will find two reports: One from a witness to the resulting technician march (with pictures!);  Another from a technician marching with some exclusive information. As a quick summary, the general consensus is that the meeting was canceled last night when it was realized the protest group greatly outnumbered those in the actor's equity. However, the worst news comes from Jabes report:

We received news tonight that the Hobbit is essentially lost to NZ, but maybe some drastic act would help brew enough support to present a solid case to Warner/MGM

Thanks to Ringer Caras Galadhon and Ringer Jabes for sharing their reports! Click 'continue' to read them in their entirety.

NZ Technican Jabes:

I work for Weta Digi and was just at the technicians meeting, and subsequent march afterwards. Around 1200 technicians, filmmakers, actors and artists were on the streets of downtown wellington in opposition to the Actor's Equity/MEAA boycott of the Hobbit in New Zealand. Many people, including Richard Taylor, Gino Acivedo, Jaime Beswarick, Allen Lee, John Howe, Phillipa Boyens, multiple New Zealand directors, and many others gave riveting speeches confirming that the NZ government is behind Peter Jackson and the rest of the NZ industry not represented by Actor's Equity; ie, everyone sans 150 or so actors IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. A meeting was meant to take place in Wellington tonight with Simon Whipp of MEAA in attendance. The meeting was canceled however, when it was discovered that more than 5 times the number of their entire NZ clientel were outside the door in opposition after only a 3 hour notice. We received news tonight that the Hobbit is essentially lost to NZ, but maybe some drastic act would help brew enough support to present a solid case to Warner/MGM. We'll see in the next few days if our demonstration had any impact. Below is a link to an article about the event. I'm sure more will be coming soon. [Article]

Ringer Caras Galadhon:
It looks like the NZ film technician meeting TORn reported on moved into a (peaceful) public protest in the evening.

I'm currently in Wellington to do my PhD, and just before 7pm local time I started hearing shouting, chanting, cheering and honking outside my window. Not having been here for long, I assumed it was my first brush with rugby fans, but not long after I started to make out the words being chanted: "Down with unions!", "Save our industry!" and "We want The Hobbit!"

A quick glance outside confirmed what I already suspected, so I grabbed my camera, ran down to the street, and started snapping photos.

It was a reasonably-sized crowd for a short-notice protest, and everyone seemed to be in excellent spirits. As far as I could tell, the spectators -- drivers and pedestrians alike -- were all for supporting the protesters. There were some great signs, including "Don't Hobble The Hobbit," "We Support PJ," "Keep Hobbit in Hobbiton! (NZ)", and "Ireland is Not Middle-Earth."

The protesters themselves remained at the intersection for a good five or ten minutes after I got there, and I'm sure I'd been hearing them on and off through my window for about ten minutes previously. Eventually, they moved off, and it looked like they were headed in the direction of the Beehive and the rest of the Parliament buildings.

Photos from the march are located here

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 20 2010, 12:31pm

Post #2 of 73 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Things are now in motion...... / [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 73 (1181 views)
Shortcut
I feared this when The Hobbit got greenlit [In reply to] Can't Post

The budget would have to be approved before the greenlight was given but the budget would need to be based on where The Hobbit would be made.

This is terrible news for NZ if it is true and its looking increasingly likely that it is true.

But at least The Hobbit will be made and at the end of the day at least we will get to see PJ's The Hobbit instead of just another 7 years of waiting and disappointment which isnt good for anybody, anywhere.

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 12:44pm

Post #4 of 73 (1164 views)
Shortcut
I refuse to believe it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite all the strife never yet have I seriously expected the project to happen anywhere but NZ, and even now, it just doesn't make any sense... Move the project away from the country which gathered world renown due to LOTR, where the director lives, where WETA studios are, where all the environments of ME are, in the four months before shooting is to start? Just ridiculous, and the fallout would be huge. Among fans, the media, the filmmaking team...I seriously expect a whole lot of the talent from LOTR to just walk if this doesn't happen in NZ and I would half expect PJ too aswell after the strict conditions he supposedly set down for his directing the films after all.

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 20 2010, 12:50pm

Post #5 of 73 (1143 views)
Shortcut
I agree, but [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as this boycott is active they just can't do it in NZ. So WB has to look elsewhere. But I hope with all my heart that they will have a little more patience and let the problem settle there first.

Melilot
The Shire

Oct 20 2010, 1:08pm

Post #6 of 73 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Anything we can do? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another online petition, anywhere? Probably wouldn't make any difference whatsoever, but...

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 20 2010, 1:11pm

Post #7 of 73 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what I was thinking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's unlikely to make any difference but it's how you feel, watching the sheer frustration build up in New Zealand. So many people stand to lose out over this - you just wish you could do something rather than sit back and watch it happen.

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 20 2010, 1:13pm

Post #8 of 73 (1079 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Unfortunately I am 26 hours away with flight // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nesse
Lorien

Oct 20 2010, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 73 (1084 views)
Shortcut
just a thought but... [In reply to] Can't Post

didnt I read somewhere that James Nisbett was moving his family to NZ why would he do that if they werent making it there.

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:21pm

Post #10 of 73 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Thats true [In reply to] Can't Post

But that report was printed about 3 weeks ago I think, so it would have been before Warners decided to move production elsewhere (if that is what has happened).

I'm still hoping we will see good news about The Hobbit going ahead in NZ but I fear it is too late...

Nesse
Lorien

Oct 20 2010, 1:34pm

Post #11 of 73 (1037 views)
Shortcut
' A Fools Hope' [In reply to] Can't Post

but If I had to wager on it I would put my money on TH staying in NZ.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 20 2010, 1:34pm

Post #12 of 73 (1055 views)
Shortcut
So am I... [In reply to] Can't Post

... well, I don't know about 26 hours, but on the other side of the world at any rate. Hence the feeling of helplessness.

I know it's daft, after all, I'm not a technician or a film-maker of any kind, not an actor, and if they film in New Zealand, Katmandu or the north wall of the Eiger it won't affect my livelihood. But I feel I've gained so much from the previous films in terms of sheer enjoyment and have so much respect for the people who made them - it seems such a poor reward for all their efforts if a few people can wreck everything and a really sour ending (and beginning) for something so many people have anticipated for so long. I just wish I could help them - and yes, I realise how unrealistic this is but it doesn't stop you thinking it! Wink

Maggot_farms

Oct 20 2010, 1:35pm

Post #13 of 73 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes change is good? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if they might split the shoot up. PJ could film the location essentials (Hobbition and the Shire) in New Zealand, to keep the continuity. Then move abroad for the rest. I would love to see them film in the Carpathian Mountains . They have always reminded me of the Misty Mountains.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 20 2010, 1:42pm

Post #14 of 73 (1035 views)
Shortcut
I can't see how this can be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sheer logistics of moving the bulk of the production abroad at this late stage will negatively impact the quality of the production. They are not getting any more time to make the films (the release dates are locked) - and a massive amount of new work will have to be done because of the move, compressing the production schedule even further.

* crunch *

Melilot
The Shire

Oct 20 2010, 1:45pm

Post #15 of 73 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and it's the sheer pointless destructiveness of the whole thing that gets me, although I do realize that union activists may see it in a different light.

And thinking of those Hobbit holes and gardens they've been restoring for months now - I could just weep.

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:51pm

Post #16 of 73 (999 views)
Shortcut
I think Hobbiton would still be filmed in NZ regardless of what happens [In reply to] Can't Post

During the radio interview with Philippa Boyens she made a comment about Hobbiton only being amount a week's work of filming and wouldn't complicate a decision to move the production offshore. (Or something like that?) From the way she said that I assumed she meant they would still shoot in Hobbiton regardless of what happens.

elevendayempire

Oct 20 2010, 1:52pm

Post #17 of 73 (1002 views)
Shortcut
If they have to move the production... [In reply to] Can't Post

Iceland would be a good location; pretty similar geologically to New Zealand, that LazyTown show has left the place kitted out with an HD studio and plenty of trained crew (Tarantino even went out there to give it the once-over) and the country's current economic predicament means (I'd imagine) that crew hire and production costs like accommodation should be pretty low.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2010, 1:54pm

Post #18 of 73 (996 views)
Shortcut
As has been said many times already... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Mata Mata Hobbiton sets WILL be used, no matter where the bulk of the film is shot, so you can dry your tears. Smile

The Party Tree
Lorien

Oct 20 2010, 1:54pm

Post #19 of 73 (1001 views)
Shortcut
This is all so absurd [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe it. It's such a lose-lose situation. :/

*sound of heart breaking*

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:55pm

Post #20 of 73 (996 views)
Shortcut
Hasn't it been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

that Hobbiton will still be filmed in Matamata? There's still everything else along the East-West road however (I was hoping for a glimpse of Weathertop and the same Trollshaw forest) as well as the lovely exterior work done in Kaitoke Park for Rivendell and the use of the Remarkables as the Misty Mountains. And the rest of the new locations just won't have the same NZ feel we've come to know and love as Middle-Earth. I'm sure Ireland is a beautiful country, but does it really have the full range of environments required for this?

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

CuChulainn
The Shire

Oct 20 2010, 1:56pm

Post #21 of 73 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Pah! Ireland not Middle Earth?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting.
Ireland as Middle Earth: My older post bears more relevance now than ever. Worth checking out, I updated it too: http://newboards.theonering.net/...ng=locations;#201124

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2010, 2:02pm

Post #22 of 73 (998 views)
Shortcut
The real Middle-earth is Europe [In reply to] Can't Post

Ireland is much closer than New Zealand to the quasi-medieval Europe of legend envisaged by Tolkien (and Scotland would be even closer), but I can't deny that New Zealand was an excellent stand-in.

'Ireland is not Middle-earth' is quite an inappropriate sign for the protesters to be waving.

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 2:04pm

Post #23 of 73 (977 views)
Shortcut
Ireland does not have the same range of locations as NZ, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some regions are very similar to NZ geologically.

And there are some stunning vistas...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_other_shots/4604970274/

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 20 2010, 2:04pm

Post #24 of 73 (992 views)
Shortcut
May I REMIND you that THE Fat Lady is in the Wings. [In reply to] Can't Post

and it ain't over till the Fat Lady...

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster

The Hobbit is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Melilot
The Shire

Oct 20 2010, 2:07pm

Post #25 of 73 (952 views)
Shortcut
Well, if so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... then they would probably find other NZ locations they could use even if the bulk of filming went elsewhere.

Re. Ireland: No it doesn't. Some, yes. But the Misty Mountains? Lonely Mountain? No. And I agree about the "feel" too.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.