Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spy Report: Sylvester McCoy talks role as Radagast

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 20 2010, 6:55am

Post #1 of 12 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Spy Report: Sylvester McCoy talks role as Radagast Can't Post

Sylvester McCoyFor all the new viewers of TheOneRing.net, you'll want to get yourself acquainted with the 'spy reports' we post from time to time. These reports usually come to use from everyday folks who just happen to come across some juicy tidbits. So while we can't say for 100% they are accurate, we can at least whet your whistle!

And along those lines, we get this report from Ringer Spy Viggo Yearning:
My brother works at Katmandu in the city (Melbourne) and who should walk in looking for appropriate attire for New Zealand but Sylvester McCoy! He was more than willing to discuss The Hobbit, and is indeed playing Radagast the brown. He said he was "some wizard", to which my brother offered up "Radagast the brown?" and Sylvester said "Yes, that's it!". He then confessed he couldn't find him anywhere in the book. Unfortunately my brother isn't as big a fan as myself, so didn't give Sylvester the grilling I certainly would have! He did offer up this interesting tidbit, though: He was pipped at the post by Ian Holm to play Bilbo in the original lotr trilogy!

We reported a bit ago that we believed that McCoy would be playing this role, but it is nice to get additional ammo to make that claim! Radagast is not in the Hobbit, but in the scripts we have seen, he has an expanded role in the production.

chrismortega
Bree

Oct 20 2010, 12:27pm

Post #2 of 12 (764 views)
Shortcut
Seen the scripts? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in the scripts we have seen

tig!

Since when have you seen the scripts!?

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

calisuri
PTB

Oct 20 2010, 12:34pm

Post #3 of 12 (723 views)
Shortcut
Doh, did i say that....um...it never happened :P [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mysterious Calisuri

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2010, 12:58pm

Post #4 of 12 (717 views)
Shortcut
I think it's legitimate [In reply to] Can't Post

The spy and his brother seem to think the fact that Sylvester McCoy was up for Bilbo in LotR is a big surprise to us, while in fact it's been known for some time. He must have heard it from somewhere: either from the internet, or from McCoy himself. If he got it from the internet, then he'd know it was common knowledge and wouldn't have gotten so dramatic about revealing it. This makes me think that McCoy must have been the one who told the spy's brother about the Bilbo thing, which is why the spy's brother thought it was brand-new information.

Sorry if my chain of logic is a bit convoluted, but it makes sense in my mind, I swear. Smile

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:03pm

Post #5 of 12 (693 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he means.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The old LOTR scripts from the pre New Line days. Radagast was in those. Smile

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 12 (712 views)
Shortcut
Surprised noone has picked up on... [In reply to] Can't Post

the clear hint that the films are going to be filming in NZ. Or why else would he be looking for suitable attire for that country? Angelic

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

Nerwen
Bree

Oct 20 2010, 1:21pm

Post #7 of 12 (706 views)
Shortcut
A bit suspicious I think [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always a bit odd to me when someone reports meeting an actor who confirms to a stranger they're going to be in some film before any official announcements have been made. *Especially* in a project like this where everyone has to sign confidentiality papers anyway.

Not that any of that means he won't be Radagast of course. :)

Maybe "the scripts" means those leaked casting call sheets, I think Radagast was mentioned in them. Although I thought those were confirmed to be false?

"Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horror in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known
."

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 20 2010, 1:26pm

Post #8 of 12 (686 views)
Shortcut
This part sounded very suspicious... [In reply to] Can't Post

He said he was "some wizard", to which my brother offered up "Radagast the brown?" and Sylvester said "Yes, that's it!".

Some wizard? As if he couldn't remember the name of the character he had signed on to play in one of the biggest movie productions of all time? Crazy

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2010, 1:31pm

Post #9 of 12 (679 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

he's not exactly a main character, and the name isn't particularly snappy, either. Perhaps McCoy has a poor memory as well. I wouldn't rule anything out based on that quote.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2010, 2:06pm

Post #10 of 12 (647 views)
Shortcut
You sneaky lil fella! :o) [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Valinor

Oct 20 2010, 3:41pm

Post #11 of 12 (616 views)
Shortcut
I don't doubt the story but wonder what McCoy was doing [In reply to] Can't Post

in Melbourne? Why would he need attire for NZ?
No spring clothes? Is he in a play currently in Australia?
TV role?

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 20 2010, 5:15pm

Post #12 of 12 (594 views)
Shortcut
Why still using that old picture of Mcoy... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when heīs so much older nowadays? Itīs misleading...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.