Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Selling most of my (HUGE) Tolkien collection!

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 18 2010, 1:49am

Post #1 of 19 (784 views)
Shortcut
Selling most of my (HUGE) Tolkien collection! Can't Post

TORNers:

After nearly 2 decades of collecting Tolkien books, I've decided to let most of my collection go to a better home, and I wanted to let you all know about it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tolkien-Mega-Collection-Hobbit-Lord-Rings-Plus-/170554200232?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item27b5d290a8

I'm selling these to help pay off some pretty massive credit card debt accrued in my previous life as a married college student, which is the first step in my plans to move with my girlfriend to New York (from California!) in 2 years. So not only are you getting (or gifting) a great collection of Tolkien stuff with this lot, you're also helping make a lifelong dream of mine come true. I've already got a job I can take with me, so all I need to do now is save some money...which we're working on right now!

Thanks in advance to anyone who's interested, and blessings to all!

Michael

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 18 2010, 2:07am

Post #2 of 19 (399 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful collection, nusilver! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's such a wrench that you have to part with it after so many years of building it up. There are a couple I would have been interested in, but the rest I already have.

I might suggest that if this auction isn't completed with a sale, you might consider breaking it up into a more flexible/convenient smaller collections to make the cost more managable and attractive to buyers. :)

Cheers... and all the best with your sale and you plans!! Most Excellent!! :)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 18 2010, 2:15am

Post #3 of 19 (427 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, grammaboodawg. I set the starting price really low in hopes of attracting bids, so I'm sure it will sell, even if the total is less than I hope. Either way, it needs to sell. I just can't carry all this weight anymore...especially not in New York City!

It's funny, I have so many memories tied to these books...but at the same time, you can only dwell in the past for so long. One thing I didn't mention in the auction is, for example, is that the copies I loaned to my mom were returned to me by my dad - because my mom died in 2003. But she was furiously trying to re-read the books before she died...a way to relate to me just a little bit more before she went away. I can remember her reading The Fellowship of the Ring, with the beanie I'm currently wearing on her chemo-bald head... it's a good memory.

In any case, I'm keeping a few things. My millennium edition of Lord Of The Rings, my Ace paperbacks (the bootlegs than came out in the 60s), my first copy of The Hobbit, my first boxed-set of Rings...and illustrated editions to read to my children, one day. Everything else, I can let go of, happy in the knowledge that my collection will make new memories for someone else. :)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2010, 6:54am

Post #4 of 19 (382 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry you have to let your collection go... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but you gotta do what you gotta do and I'm sure someday you'll be able to purchase these books again and have new memories associated with them Smile

In case you aren't aware of this, I wanted to point you over to Tolkien Guide which is a site full of Tolkien bibliophiles, so I'm sure if you make a posting on their boards, you'll get some responses.

All the best and cya around! Wink

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 18 2010, 6:56am

Post #5 of 19 (410 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, so much, Earl. Very much appreciated :)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 18 2010, 11:30am

Post #6 of 19 (472 views)
Shortcut
Good luck to you, nusilver! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Calafalas
Bree

Oct 18 2010, 5:21pm

Post #7 of 19 (583 views)
Shortcut
A lovely collection indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Grammaboondawg (did I say that right?), I have many of these. However, my collection is lacking a few of the precious books you have, and I live in Sacratomato, so would save on postage. I will keep an eye on the auction and see if I can afford the whole.

It is a wonderful thing to have such cherished memories associated with these amazing books. Best of luck with the auction and the move.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 24 2010, 6:37am

Post #8 of 19 (418 views)
Shortcut
Shiretomento [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Like Grammaboondawg (did I say that right?), I have many of these. However, my collection is lacking a few of the precious books you have, and I live in Sacratomato, so would save on postage. I will keep an eye on the auction and see if I can afford the whole.

It is a wonderful thing to have such cherished memories associated with these amazing books. Best of luck with the auction and the move.

Calafalas, I wasn't aware Sacramento was The Shire, haha, but if you end up with the winning bid on these, I'd be happy to waive shipping fees on these. We could meet at Barnes and Noble or some such location. In any case, thanks everyone for the interest and kind words! Also, YAY Martin Freeman!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 27 2010, 4:54pm

Post #9 of 19 (301 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your sale and the planned move nusilver! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe, having parted with your books, you can stick around at TORn a bit more to get your Tolkien fix! Wink You're amongst friends here! Mae govannen!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 27 2010, 5:16pm

Post #10 of 19 (324 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! The auction ends today. I think it'll be an interesting last hour or so, knowing what I know about eBay users. :)

I've actually been a member here for quite some time, but haven't posted much. It was still early days for the Internet when TORN's first boom happened, with Jackson's film trilogy being produced, released, and I hadn't even visited the site much post 2004 until The Children Of Hurin was released. Of course, now with all the hoopla surrounding the filming of The Hobbit (yay, NZ!), I imagine I'll be around a lot more.

Also, I'm not getting rid of all my books...just a big chunk of them. It's as much about parting with something I won't have the space for once we move as it is helping that little bit to make the move fiscally feasible.

In any case, to mix some Sindarin with a little bit of English (Singlish? Endarin?), mae govannen, indeed. :)

mb

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 27 2010, 6:04pm

Post #11 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
well then, welcome back! ; ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you here. I understand about the need to sell; my apartment is bursting at the seams and I have been pondering getting rid of some of my own collection... *gasp* Crazy Hope the auction ends well!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Calafalas
Bree

Oct 28 2010, 1:24am

Post #12 of 19 (340 views)
Shortcut
It is gone. [In reply to] Can't Post

The collection is gone. I tried my best to win this, but someone outbid me at the last moment. Ebay is not my forte, having only bid and won once, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. *sigh* Silly me, I had begun to visualize them up on the bookshelf. I'm sure whoever won them, (for a mere pittance I might add) will give them a good home.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 5:33pm

Post #13 of 19 (294 views)
Shortcut
unfortunately I rarely check the Gaming & Collecting forum [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had in time I would have probably placed a bid Frown
well, I suppose that's the way the world turns...

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

(This post was edited by Oiotári on Nov 2 2010, 5:33pm)

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 2 2010, 6:26pm

Post #14 of 19 (316 views)
Shortcut
A pittance, indeed :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The collection is gone. I tried my best to win this, but someone outbid me at the last moment. Ebay is not my forte, having only bid and won once, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. *sigh* Silly me, I had begun to visualize them up on the bookshelf. I'm sure whoever won them, (for a mere pittance I might add) will give them a good home.

Yes, they did go for a pittance - unfortunately for me, as I'm pretty sure the winning bidder was a bookseller. As far as those things go, this was actually my least successful eBay sale by far, but then I've never sold books before. In any case, the purpose was to get rid of the books, and I've achieved that purpose, so I'm content with the outcome. Sorry you didn't win!

As far as people rarely checking the collecting forums...that's why I'm not really a fan of them. I originally posted this in the main Tolkien thread (because I didn't realize there was a gaming and collecting subforum), and in the day or so it was in that forum, it garnered way more views than after it was moved. The shame of that, of course, is that the books sold to a bookseller and not a Tolkien fan, but then, I'm assuming someone will see some of these on a shelf at a bookstore somewhere in middle California and have a very nice upcoming holiday season. :)

(This post was edited by nusilver on Nov 2 2010, 6:29pm)

Calafalas
Bree

Nov 2 2010, 6:57pm

Post #15 of 19 (305 views)
Shortcut
May I ask, what city were the books mailed to? [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be able to find my way to the bookstore and claim a few items that are missing from my collection. I really was shocked at how low the winning bid was. I am glad that you are "content" with your decision. Better to look forward to the move, and the fact you have less to move.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2010, 8:48pm

Post #16 of 19 (283 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the winning bid and couldn't believe it, and that feeling only got stronger as I scrolled down the list of items. For that price on amazon.com I couldn't even get 3 hardcover HoME books, at least not new.

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Calafalas
Bree

Nov 2 2010, 10:17pm

Post #17 of 19 (445 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. The Mr. Bliss book, [In reply to] Can't Post

(on my wish list), starts at $19.99 on Amazon and goes up exponentially from there. *sigh* Paperbacks are usually $4-$5 each at the second hand bookstores. I wish nusilver had received a truer value for them. Anyway, shoulda, coulda, woulda...wasn't meant to be.

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 4 2010, 6:47pm

Post #18 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
unable to post: you must enter a subject. there. I entered a subject. [In reply to] Can't Post

Calafalas, they went to Corralitos, near San Jose. If they're in a bookstore, find them there, and snatch 'em up - but only if you can talk the dealer down to a reasonable price! :)

Calafalas
Bree

Nov 4 2010, 6:52pm

Post #19 of 19 (468 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard of Corralitos [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've spent a lot of time in the San Jose area. I will do some research and see what I can find. Believe me, I will not overpay for the books.Wink Thanks for the info. Best of luck on your move. Let me know if you want to part with more of your treasures. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.