Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
*** TTT-EE Appendices Discussion -- Editorial -- Picking Up the Pace ***

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2010, 1:05am

Post #1 of 4 (486 views)
Shortcut
*** TTT-EE Appendices Discussion -- Editorial -- Picking Up the Pace *** Can't Post

Welcome to the third installment of this week's discussion on the TTT Editorial!

EDITORIAL: REFINING THE STORY
--Part 3: Picking Up the Pace--

When producing LotR, there was no logical way to present a rough cut to the studio, and so it was the decision to screen the movie for the crew in private.

“We basically do our own previews... We run the film for ourselves” (Peter Jackson).

From this viewing, they can determine what needs to be changed, what is missing, and what should be ditched altogether. This leads to pick-ups.

“We actually do a mini shoot” (Rick Porras)

The crew then plans out a fresh film shoot to make new takes, add new scenes, and any other necessities in order to make the movie better.

“The pick-up time is really about finessing what we’ve done” (Elijah Wood)

“In the case of Gollum, for instance, it was really valuable ... we saw so much more potential...” (Peter Jackson)

“It was there before, but it wasn’t as clear before and didn’t have as much impact.” (Barrie M. Osborne)

Not only are there minor sequences that are founded to require adjustments, there are also important moments that are created on the spot in order to create more structure to the movie as a whole.

“In order to clarify a lot of the geopolitical situation that was happening in the story it was decided to make things a little more spelled out in the scene when Faramir talks with one of his captains over a map of Middle-Earth... That was worked out with a self-drawn map that Peter Jackson made” (Jabez Olssen)

“Pete grabbed his 8-mil video camera and holding it in one hand and pointing with the other being Faramir’s hand shot it ... then we put it in and we cut it that afternoon ...” (Mike Horton)

“... that’s how lateral thinking in the editing process can be a real life-saver.” (Peter Jackson)

What are your thoughts on the map sequence? Does it do its job? Could the movie have worked without it?

Any other thoughts?

NEXT: The Battle!

"Welcome. Wilkommen to Kino Das Bang Bang Boom Boom 1970 Gjong Hai Ich Habe Diese Nacht Wilkommen, 2004."

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 17 2010, 4:38pm

Post #2 of 4 (305 views)
Shortcut
did they say which shots in TTT were pick-ups? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see where the expository ones, like the map scene, would be the kind of thing they'd need to add, just to be sure people knew what was going on...

I can see, also, that on the first run they were just working on making Gollum look ok -- adding depth to his character the kind of thing you'd maybe only be able to focus on after you got the appearance down?

I know the map helped my husband, a non-reader, to understand what was going on...for me, I always wonder why they don't show Cirith Ungol on it...but I could see that they'd miss that if this was a last minute thing, put in to help people get the general layout of the land, and not the specifics. Is that Peter's hand and map in the final cut?

Interesting stuff as always-- thanks for the screencaps and quotes, especially!

Weaver

Trevelyan
Bree

Oct 18 2010, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 4 (140 views)
Shortcut
Map! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the map sequence with Faramir and his commander. It gives a real visual depiction of where in relation to each other and other landmarks Gondor and Rohan are. It builds tension when you find out (if you didn't know) that Rohan and Gondor are trapped from both sides without help or means of escape.

I also really love the map shot from the EE FOTR, where the title 'Fellowship of the Ring' comes up over the 3D-ish map in Bag End.

www.seregon.co.uk

(This post was edited by Trevelyan on Oct 18 2010, 1:43pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 18 2010, 5:18pm

Post #4 of 4 (210 views)
Shortcut
Screening [In reply to] Can't Post

To me that complete screening sounds like a good idea. When you edit the story scene by scene, I guess it's not always easy to keep an overview over everything and to lose track of the big picture over all the little details. So that should give a good idea what works and what has to be changed. And it was good luck that they had the chance to do these pick-ups, so it was possible to add or improve where necessary.

The map was a nice idea; as so many moviegoers were non-readers, I am certain it helped them to understand the geography and with it what was going on a little better. It would probably have worked without, too, but it adds more detail and helps to understand, so I think it was a good idea.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.