Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is this progress? Edited by Altaira to add: HOBBIT GETS GREENLIGHT! --> WOOT!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 4:26pm

Post #151 of 185 (511 views)
Shortcut
All recomposited to match the rest. [In reply to] Can't Post

(You can hear the voices behind the veil.) This is not necessarily bad. It is just not what I had in mind for the Hobbit. Maybe Weta will find a better way.

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

The Hobbit is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Oct 16 2010, 4:27pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 4:44pm

Post #152 of 185 (674 views)
Shortcut
Not recomposited [In reply to] Can't Post

they are in the movie as they were shot that day.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 6:23pm

Post #153 of 185 (621 views)
Shortcut
It is my understanding that [In reply to] Can't Post

The cameras they are using can do a lot of the work that formerly had to be done by the special effects team.
And I do not think you can claim that those images are projected as seen by the human eye. And even if those sequences are considered live action, what percentage of the entire movie are they?

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 6:43pm

Post #154 of 185 (488 views)
Shortcut
I honestly don't know what you're talking about... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The cameras they are using can do a lot of the work that formerly had to be done by the special effects team.

3D cameras work like 2D cameras, just that they also capture depth information, the 3rd dimension, by having 2 oculars, simulating human eyes.

Let's say you don't do a special effects heavy film or scene, you'd shoot it normally like with a normal 2D camera and what you capture on set would be pretty much what you see in the movie, not much post production needed.

Yes, like i said, Avatar had a relatively low amount of life action footage on real sets, nevertheless it's beeing considered a life action movie, i believe.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 7:40pm

Post #155 of 185 (477 views)
Shortcut
The cameras Jim Cameron used were designed by and for him. [In reply to] Can't Post

The digital electronics are capable of doing much more than just recording the light coming through the lenses.

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 16 2010, 8:11pm

Post #156 of 185 (483 views)
Shortcut
I like your style! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers Sara! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 8:17pm

Post #157 of 185 (630 views)
Shortcut
Such as? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The digital electronics are capable of doing much more than just recording the light coming through the lenses.

Nerwen
Bree

Oct 16 2010, 9:59pm

Post #158 of 185 (463 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, they need to render twice the CGI, for each eye, but why would you care how much they need to spend time and money on special effects, it's not your money or time, is it?

Fortunately not! :) But all movies have deadlines and budgets, and sir Peter being the perfectionist he is + those limitations = a challenging combination (as documented in the ROTK EE extras). There are several scenes in the trilogy (especially in TTT and ROTK) that suffered from there not being enough time to fix things and even PJ has admitted he'd have done some things differently if there had been more time. Now we all know the studios will cling to those deadlines like world's going to end, and that means that once again PJ is running out of time to make the perfect Hobbit - especially with all the delays that have been reported. Add to that the demands of 3D and it's understandable why people are worried. I'd hate to see the overall quality of the Hobbit suffer from resources being poured to something that we COULD live without (3D). I'm NOT saying this is what will happen, but I think it's a real concern.

I understand that you've greatly enjoyed 3D movies, but does that mean every movie has to be in 3D now? Do you believe the Hobbit would be a worse experience if you don't get it in 3D? I'd rather see a really well-made Hobbit that wasn't filmed in 3D than a half-unfinished 3D Hobbit.

... all that being said I want to underline that I have great faith in PJ and his team and expect to see a fantastic movie that will break records and be a milestone for new technologies. :)

"We shall be bruised and battered to pieces, and drowned too, for certain!" they muttered. "We thought you had got some sensible notion, when you managed to get hold of the keys. This is a mad idea!"

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 10:20pm

Post #159 of 185 (444 views)
Shortcut
They don't need to render twice the CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

They need to render the same CGI twice from slightly different angles. The amount of trouble this causes is miniscule; no more that a few clicks on a computer. They won't have to double their budget or anything.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 10:37pm

Post #160 of 185 (439 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't 2X1=1x2? If not please 'splain.

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Oct 16 2010, 10:38pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 10:50pm

Post #161 of 185 (436 views)
Shortcut
Sure it's a few mouse clicks... for the artist in front of the computer [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the computer still has to render it which takes time. Of course we are talking about the same CGI objects from different angles but the thing is, even if you move the camera by a tiny bit you have to render the whole frame new since the angle changes, the frame is a different one, even if by a little. Probably twice the amount of time is not needed because some calculations can be used in both frames but i doubt it's minuscule.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 10:51pm

Post #162 of 185 (542 views)
Shortcut
Creating CGI is much harder than rendering it [In reply to] Can't Post

What makes CGI expensive is the amount of time it takes to painstakingly create detailed and lifelike 3D models inside a computer, and the further time it takes to paint textures and assign animations to them. 'Rendering' (the process of taking all this work and converting it into the video footage we see in the final film) is entirely automatic; you can render a model as many times as you like simply by clicking the 'render' button. More complicated models, textures and animations will take longer for the computer to process, but there's no additional work involved.

Estel78's statements made it sound like he thought the graphic artists had to completely redo all their work from a different perspective in order to create a three-dimensional image. In reality it's as simple as moving the virtual camera a couple of degrees and waiting a while for the computer to re-render the frame from the new angle.

(This post was edited by Flagg on Oct 16 2010, 10:58pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 10:54pm

Post #163 of 185 (429 views)
Shortcut
Thanx fo da splanin! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a good thing to know.

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 12:34am

Post #164 of 185 (417 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh... great idea!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think that we started the celebration last week ;) Can you image how insane this would have been if it had happened LAST FRIDAY!?!?

Bubbly fersher!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 12:39am

Post #165 of 185 (421 views)
Shortcut
*skips into line* Let's Go!! [In reply to] Can't Post

How many times has this place and these films thrown me into a geeky happy dance!? WAY LOTS!! Woohoo!!! :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 12:42am

Post #166 of 185 (604 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Me too, Kanga! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the 3D has been my only pause... but it sounds like they're very careful to let us know it'll be high-quality 3D. *sigh* I trust Peter, so I'll stow the dramamine for now ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 12:44am

Post #167 of 185 (678 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* this is so wonderful... [In reply to] Can't Post

we've waited so long... it's all going to be so worth the torture of waiting and wondering. Fantastic!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 12:48am

Post #168 of 185 (488 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* Absolutely!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!!!!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 2:00am

Post #169 of 185 (400 views)
Shortcut
We've made it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira. We're finally here :) I can't stop crying from relief and joy.

Great stars and glory!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Oct 17 2010, 3:48am

Post #170 of 185 (394 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much!Smile

And thanks to everyone here who were all so on the ball in bringing us the good news.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2010, 1:09pm

Post #171 of 185 (429 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... February.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's NZ's fall, so they'll have to bust a move to get as much outdoor filming done as possible before the cold weather moves in... then they'll do the indoor work when the snow comes. I get the feeling they've had plans for locations/filming/weather for a very long time now ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Oct 17 2010, 1:25pm

Post #172 of 185 (369 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

L.Ron and I were hoping it would be announced last week! Ah well, we had other causes to celebrate last week - and now we get to celebrate again! Cheers! Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 17 2010, 1:40pm

Post #173 of 185 (380 views)
Shortcut
If winter starts on or around December 21 in the north [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't summer start on the same day in the south? If this is right that would put shooting a little over two months into summer with at least a month of it left. Or am I suffering from thinking upside down?

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 17 2010, 2:13pm

Post #174 of 185 (413 views)
Shortcut
To answer my own question about New Zealand seasons: [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring - September, October, November
Summer - December, January, February
Autumn - March, April, May
Winter - June, July, August

Kangi Ska Resident Cynic

Photobucket

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2010, 9:49pm

Post #175 of 185 (345 views)
Shortcut
well, since Autumn doesn't start until late March [In reply to] Can't Post

there's more like a month and a half of summer, more or less, depending on when in February they start, of shooting

How cold do NZ winters get?

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.