Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is this progress? Edited by Altaira to add: HOBBIT GETS GREENLIGHT! --> WOOT!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

ranger123
Rivendell

Oct 16 2010, 1:56am

Post #126 of 185 (604 views)
Shortcut
Casting rumors on Deadline [In reply to] Can't Post

"UPDATE:Things must be getting close on The Hobbit, because casting buzz is getting strong in Hollywood. Word is Martin Freeman will soon be set to play Bilbo Baggins, that Jimmy Nesbitt has been offered a role and that Michael Fassbender is being pursued for another as is David Tennant. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are expected to reprise Gandalf and Gollum."

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/the-hobbit-finally-starts-filming-in-february/

Gildor
Rivendell

Oct 16 2010, 2:26am

Post #127 of 185 (651 views)
Shortcut
This is a joyous occasion [In reply to] Can't Post

What can I say that's PG rated except, heck yeah!

So much drama of late, so many false starts and false promises! But now we finally have the greenlight and a starting time for production. Still more things to be settled, but boo-yah!

but of course...the road goes ever on....

Gildor

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Oct 16 2010, 2:43am

Post #128 of 185 (627 views)
Shortcut
Good one, Brandybuckled! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know your Tolkien.Smile

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 2:58am

Post #129 of 185 (549 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't affect it nearly as much as some like to believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, it being either filmed in 3D or converted to it will still affect the production in many ways - time, money and other resources will be concentrated on something that many fans consider an unnecessary gimmick. It can of course be that PJ will be the first director to get it "right" and use the technology to support the story (versus it being the main attraction/focus point). I certainly hope so!

Yes, they need to render twice the CGI, for each eye, but why would you care how much they need to spend time and money on special effects, it's not your money or time, is it? Other than that, on the set it's pretty much shooting as usual, just instead of a film camera you're using a digital 3D camera. Once the producer of Avatar got asked how much 3D adds to the production costs and he said not that much.

Many fans may consider it a gimmick but i believe there are also many fans who would appreciate 3D. You can still watch it in 2D if you so prefer. Wishing for it to be 2D only seems kinda selfish, don't you think?

As for 3D being the main attraction, i'm wondering which 3D movies you've watched? Like half of the 3D life action movies released so far started out as 2D movies and only got converted to 3D afterwards as studios were jumping the 3D bandwagon as a reaction to Avatar's huge success and the other half were trashy horror movies. The bulk of movies shot in native 3D is yet to come.

In my opinion, saying 3D will detract from story is a reaction born out of fear of change more than anything else. I believe there were similar reactions from some circles when color was introduced to films. I've seen Avatar in 3D and i loved what i saw, it was a whole new level of immersion. Btw, the movie is great in 2D as well.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 2:58am

Post #130 of 185 (554 views)
Shortcut
*Joins in dance too* [In reply to] Can't Post

and one hubby thinking something awful had happened--who quickly went hiding in the house red-faced when I started my dance of JOY!

LOL, my hubby just gave me a quick pat on the back and retreated to the garden Laugh

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~ ~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2010, 4:11am

Post #131 of 185 (529 views)
Shortcut
Estel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, they need to render twice the CGI, for each eye, but why would you care how much they need to spend time and money on special effects, it's not your money or time, is it? Other than that, on the set it's pretty much shooting as usual, just instead of a film camera you're using a digital 3D camera. Once the producer of Avatar got asked how much 3D adds to the production costs and he said not that much.

Many fans may consider it a gimmick but i believe there are also many fans who would appreciate 3D. You can still watch it in 2D if you so prefer. Wishing for it to be 2D only seems kinda selfish, don't you think?

As for 3D being the main attraction, i'm wondering which 3D movies you've watched? Like half of the 3D life action movies released so far started out as 2D movies and only got converted to 3D afterwards as studios were jumping the 3D bandwagon as a reaction to Avatar's huge success and the other half were trashy horror movies. The bulk of movies shot in native 3D is yet to come.

In my opinion, saying 3D will detract from story is a reaction born out of fear of change more than anything else. I believe there were similar reactions from some circles when color was introduced to films. I've seen Avatar in 3D and i loved what i saw, it was a whole new level of immersion. Btw, the movie is great in 2D as well.

Hats off to you. I agree completely.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Oct 16 2010, 4:21am

Post #132 of 185 (629 views)
Shortcut
THAT IS THE ONE AND ONLY DANCE OF JOY!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad someone else knows the Dance of Joy!!!! My best friend and I learned that dance years ago (I was the catcher at the end). She and I still do it just to embarrass our kiddies these days Sly. Except, when we get the greatest news, like THIS! Of course, when you do it by yourself, there is no one to catch in the end, so I just do a little funny-looking-sort-of-in-the-air split at the end Tongue. I have been told that I kind of dance like Elaine from "Seinfeld", which is probably the reason my hubby was quick to run and hide all red-faced.Blush hehehe

Okay, I guess this calls for one more Dance of Joy Encore!! Everybody...

"Now we are so happy, we do the Dance of Joy!!"

"Hey!...Di, di di di di di-di-di-di-di-di-di Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" and CATCH!!

YAY!! It's gonna be a great weekend! Wink

Analeewyn

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2010, 4:30am

Post #133 of 185 (528 views)
Shortcut
Of course it is, don't be ridiculous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly, I never had a partner for the Dance of Joy, but then, I tend to dance it by myself in private more often than in public anyway. Awesome that you embarrass your kids with it now. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 16 2010, 5:47am

Post #134 of 185 (503 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from Narnia, look what happened while I was gone [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got back today from Narnia (or rather several days of reading C. S Lewis without checking the Tolkien forums to try to get my mind off all of the Hobbit uncertainty) and the "Land of Enchantment", um, I mean, New Mexico (a 2 day trip I'd already planned to Carlsbad Caverns) and I happened to see the news of the greenlight on Yahoo news while I was rewinding a tape of the BBC's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I knew it would happen as soon as I quit checking for it!Smile

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 16 2010, 6:12am

Post #135 of 185 (624 views)
Shortcut
YAY! *does a happy dance* [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds quite believable. It's so great to have finally some good news after everything that happened lately! Now, if they could resolve the guilds stuff, too, and we knew that the production stays in NZ, I'd be a very happy girl!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 16 2010, 6:24am

Post #136 of 185 (553 views)
Shortcut
Waking up to the official press release... [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful start of the morning. When I woke up I didn't know what to expect - and I woke up to an explosion of news with 200 new replies Cool

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 6:26am

Post #137 of 185 (565 views)
Shortcut
Numfar! Do the Dance of Joy! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 8:33am

Post #138 of 185 (618 views)
Shortcut
Your side won but it changes none of the facts about 3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

that you wish to gloss over. Calling me and those of my ilk selfish and against progress is just gloating and self aggrandizing. Its like thumbing your nose at us. I have serious concerns about how the 3-D filming process will change what ends up on the screen (whether viewed in 2-D or 3-D). It is not a reaction born out of fear but out of knowledge and lengthy close study. I have serious concerns for those who have strong negative physiological reactions to the 3-D experience. These may be symptomatic of the deleterious effects that long term and extended viewing of media in the 3-D format might have on the audience as a whole. These are very serious concerns. They are not whimsical, self centered or obstructionist.
I saw Avatar in 3-D and it was a big flashy movie with a plot that could be best summed up as "Dances With Aliens". It was not bad but it was nothing new.

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit is almost here.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 16 2010, 8:40am

Post #139 of 185 (463 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I heard 10% are [In reply to] Can't Post

incapable of watching 3D effects. So it's a bit unfair.

I'm with Kangi. But on the other hand, I would rather have my beloved Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin in 3D than nothing at all... right feather-friend? Cool

Theodred
Lorien

Oct 16 2010, 9:23am

Post #140 of 185 (456 views)
Shortcut
Well, you might want to try this link: [In reply to] Can't Post

Code

It does most of the dirty work for you! Wink

http://dehobbithyve.hyves.nl/

(This post was edited by Theodred on Oct 16 2010, 9:25am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 9:53am

Post #141 of 185 (436 views)
Shortcut
Me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I can't watch 3D, it sends my eyes funny, so I'm with you and Kangi on this.

But I can't worry about it today. I'll just keep praying quietly that they WILL show a 2D version so's I don't have to miss the cinema and wait for the DVDs to come out, set it to one side and say

Today life is good! Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 10:16am

Post #142 of 185 (442 views)
Shortcut
You could put a patch over one eye. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife is functionally blind in one and can't see 3-D bur still has to wear the damned dark glasses over hers.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 11:17am

Post #143 of 185 (785 views)
Shortcut
Which facts? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your side won but it changes none of the facts about 3-D that you wish to gloss over.

As long as there are no scientific studies that irrefutably proof that exposure to 3D affects vision i'll assume it's safe.

And yet again, if you personally have problems with 3D, watch it in 2D but let us who enjoy 3D, well, enjoy it. Thank you.

I have serious concerns about how the 3-D filming process will change what ends up on the screen (whether viewed in 2-D or 3-D).

That's exactly the kind of unsubstantiated fear i was talking about. Are you having so little faith in Peter Jackson that you think he might turn Hobbit into a 3D demo reel?

Elven
Valinor

Oct 16 2010, 11:29am

Post #144 of 185 (502 views)
Shortcut
So MGM raised the capital .... [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM was able to raise its half of the financing for the shared production costs of the two-installment story based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” said the people, who declined to be identified because the agreement is private. Production expenses may reach $600 million, two of the people said.

they have hope now as well by the look of things.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 2:34pm

Post #145 of 185 (401 views)
Shortcut
Unfair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really. There will be a 2D release, so who exactly is losing out?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 2:46pm

Post #146 of 185 (396 views)
Shortcut
The "Resident Cynic " says [In reply to] Can't Post

How about substantiated fear?

There was no link between smoking and lung cancer.

I have been reading lots of information on the effects of 3-D on human beings. I am assuming nothing.

I do not have "personal' problems with 3-D films. I consider the process irrelevant and possibly even damaging to the quality of the Hobbit movies despite the fact that I trust Weta & Wingnut to do the best possible with the format. I would have preferred that they shoot in 70MM I-max like Dark Knight or with the cameras they used for LotR, both of which produce a much more real and immersive image.

I am not hysterical or selfish and If you read my posts on this subject you might notice that I am not ignorant.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 2:52pm

Post #147 of 185 (396 views)
Shortcut
I will take what ever I can get and hope for the best [In reply to] Can't Post

But keep thinking about what might have been and keep feeling that we all have lost a thing of beauty.
Guess I am going to have to go through the Fringe portal and watch Guillermo del Toro's 2-D Hobbit I & Hobbit II.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 3:18pm

Post #148 of 185 (450 views)
Shortcut
I've also been reading on the effects of 3D on human beings... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and they came to the conclusion that there is no effect, at least no long term damaging effect. I'm not denying that there are some people claiming the opposite but there is pro- and contra for pretty much anything in the world. As long as there's no proof, i'll not drive myself crazy over what might happen. It's not like i watch 3D movies every day for straight 8 hours.

You think PJ and crew will suddenly abandon story for the purpose of 3D which, again, i find unsubstantiated and i see this as kind of a lack of faith in the filmmakers. I don't even know where you're coming from because as i said elsewhere most life-action 3D movies so far started out as 2D movies and were converted only afterwards. You can't say those movies are what they are because of 3D. The only natively shot life action 3D movies so far are some cheap, trashy horror movies and Avatar as far as i know.

The pictures in Avatar were crisp and clean and looked very real and immersive to me.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 16 2010, 3:44pm

Post #149 of 185 (487 views)
Shortcut
Avatar can only loosly be catagorised as a live action movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Near all of it is MoCap and CGI. The actors were all digitally recomposited.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2010, 3:51pm

Post #150 of 185 (372 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

it had a lot of CGI but it also had scenes with real sets and real actors acting in front of the camera (much of the scenes in the human base for instance).

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Oct 16 2010, 3:51pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.