Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson Close to Deal to Direct "The Hobbit"

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 4 2010, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 22 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson Close to Deal to Direct "The Hobbit" Can't Post

Sharon Waxman at TheWrap.com has posted an exclusive on her blog, Wax Word, that a deal for Peter Jackson to direct "The Hobbit" is all but complete:

"Now his deal is all but complete, according to individuals close to the project. Both Jackson's directing fee and percentage of the gross have been settled, though a number of lesser deal points remain outstanding."

Confirmation that PJ will be adding the director role to his writing and producing duties can't come soon enough for fans who have been hoping PJ would take over the director's role for since Guillermo Del Toro announced earlier this year that he was vacating the position. The pieces are falling into place for "The Hobbit" to get back on track!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 4 2010, 9:21pm)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Oct 4 2010, 9:26pm

Post #2 of 22 (1108 views)
Shortcut
one word... awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it so good that everything is looking up now from last week?
But please, please don't film outside NZ. Consistency is good

Hobbitonmayor
The Shire

Oct 4 2010, 9:28pm

Post #3 of 22 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Eucatastrophe [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the elements of a eucatastrophe falling into place - in typical Tolkien style. The professor must be smiling as he looks down on us. Lets hope we get lots of good news this week or next - and all of the situations are resolved at once.

Go PJ go!!!!!

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 4 2010, 9:50pm

Post #4 of 22 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Good News Starting To Roll [In reply to] Can't Post

So much bad news for so long - but finally good news has been (at least) intertwined with the challenges. And I am of the belief the challenges will fade away and this will finally get off the ground.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Eruonen
Valinor

Oct 4 2010, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 22 (1076 views)
Shortcut
It is still a cautionary tale with the elusive greenlight potentially [In reply to] Can't Post

still on hold for awhile due to MGM. Of note, $30 million has already been spent (I assume Warner's fronted the $) and the sets are built.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Oct 4 2010, 9:57pm

Post #6 of 22 (1119 views)
Shortcut
PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be great once this all gets sorted if PJ made a little pre preduction diary for the fans for having to sit through all this nonsense. I wanna see what's been going on (The Hobbit/Weta wise)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 4 2010, 10:01pm

Post #7 of 22 (1089 views)
Shortcut
It would probably be rated NC17. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine what was said in private when the SAG boycott dropped out of the sky.

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit is almost here.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2010, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 22 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Yup I'm sure it wasn't family -friendly reaction. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

sara
Lorien

Oct 4 2010, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 22 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Very good news!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2010, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 22 (1044 views)
Shortcut
I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

For PJ to have production diaries for this project like he did with King Kong. Those videos made the two-year wait for King Kong fly by.

Not only were they entertaining, but very informative of the filmmaking process.

(This post was edited by duats on Oct 4 2010, 10:48pm)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Oct 5 2010, 12:07am

Post #11 of 22 (997 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

probably some swearing, maybe a few tears, a few swear words, some breaking of china and probably alot of swearing too

smokerings
Rivendell

Oct 5 2010, 1:02am

Post #12 of 22 (989 views)
Shortcut
Same here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been posting the same thing now for months! I hope they are documenting this toll of emotions on all parties involved. In fact, I hope that Ian has been documenting his journey as well....really from all actors involved, this has been a journey that will in itself with be its own epic adventure played out on the DVD extras.

Milknut
Rohan

Oct 5 2010, 5:20am

Post #13 of 22 (950 views)
Shortcut
Keep it coming!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel's ring
Rivendell

Oct 5 2010, 5:58am

Post #14 of 22 (948 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it strange, [In reply to] Can't Post

how we get no (good) news for so long, then with in about the space of a week, it looks like just about everything is sorted out...
Good news though, even if it has been a long time coming!

"Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel! You know not what you say.There is in her and in this land, no evil, unlessa man bring it hither himself. Then let him beware!"

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 5 2010, 6:30am

Post #15 of 22 (960 views)
Shortcut
If and when this finally comes to the screen [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll take that whole week off for vacation in celebration. What a long road it will have been to get to that point.

The Trees will have their revenge! And they will have it in glorious 2D!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2010, 9:08am

Post #16 of 22 (1227 views)
Shortcut
*wring hands* [In reply to] Can't Post

If the one thing that comes through all of this upheaval is to have Peter directing these films... it's more than I hoped for. That he didn't wish to do this makes his stepping forward all the more appreciated. He'll do whatever needs to be done to save this telling of Tolkien's story... and I'm beyond thrilled to have him back here where... imho... he was destined to be.

Thank you Peter! From the top of my greying head to the bottom of my fuzzy toes.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2010, 10:27am

Post #17 of 22 (925 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

... PJ literally is the last man standing isn't he? I'm in total admiration of his passion and determination for these films. What an amazing soul Heart

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2010, 3:57pm

Post #18 of 22 (842 views)
Shortcut
Or he might be scowling down at us [In reply to] Can't Post

if he shares his son's views on the films. He also disliked his own fandom while he was alive, though there was a great overlap between Tolkien fans and hippies at the time, which might have had something to do with it.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 5 2010, 4:08pm

Post #19 of 22 (833 views)
Shortcut
He was just old & grumpy like me. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was also an English gentleman/ Oxford Don and had that side of his life to uphold. Who knows what he would be thinking now. Times have changed indeed.

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit is almost here.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

rings7
Rohan

Oct 5 2010, 6:59pm

Post #20 of 22 (800 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For PJ to have production diaries for this project like he did with King Kong. Those videos made the two-year wait for King Kong fly by.

Not only were they entertaining, but very informative of the filmmaking process.

That would be epic.Smile

Eruonen
Valinor

Oct 5 2010, 7:04pm

Post #21 of 22 (858 views)
Shortcut
Deadline.com says duh....plus some more detail [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/peter-jackson-directing-the-hobbit-toldja/

Peter Jackson Directing 'The Hobbit?'
TOLDJA!
By MIKE FLEMING | Tuesday October 5, 2010 @ 2:42pm EDT

Warner's likely to fund just to keep to the release schedule.

Does 3-D cost 2x as much? 500M seems like a lot.
I would have figured in the 200-250M range.

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 5 2010, 7:41pm

Post #22 of 22 (832 views)
Shortcut
Same Here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does 3-D cost 2x as much? 500M seems like a lot. I would have figured in the 200-250M range.

Was wondering that also, considering the entire trilogy was shot for just over $200M (though there were additional funding for later and it was ten years ago). $500M for two movies just seems massive, even if it is The Hobbit.

I would imagine they feel the 3-D return will make that seem like nothing. And as Fleming hinted at, they may also be counting on that to spur a release of LOTR in 3-D which would also likely generate very strong additional profits. And all that might have made 3-D a manditory way to shoot it along with having Peter Jackson direct, considering how badly the studios need to hit big on this one.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.