Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New York Times: Jackson to direct 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 4:06am

Post #76 of 100 (632 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolLaugh

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

TORnado Babies 2009~TORnado Babies 2010~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 3 2010, 6:52am

Post #77 of 100 (635 views)
Shortcut
Not whining [In reply to] Can't Post

Attempting to explain why myself and many others are less than thrilled for a 3D version is not the same as merely complaining. However, after this post I'm going to try to give it up because it seems pointless. In the case of people like Kangi's wife it's the inability to view 3D films. Yes, I understand there will probably be a 2D version in theaters and of course on DVD but that's not the issue. When a film is shot for 3D it's with that in mind. Shots that may have been shot from a totally different perspective will be done differently in order to achieve the best result for the 3D aspect. "Ooo looky, the arrow intended for Smaug is comin' right at me"! Yeah, neat-o. I will always wish for 2 things. To see what GDT's version would have been before it got yanked away from us and to see a Hobbit not shot for the 14 year old crowd. I also hope to live long enough to see all of these films remade someday with another great director, cast, location and so on. Of course P.J. and company will remain our heroes for having been able to get these versions to the screen for us to enjoy!

The Trees will have their revenge!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 7:06am

Post #78 of 100 (597 views)
Shortcut
I should let go of it too. [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point nothing said here is going to change anything. It will or won't be in 3-D and I will still go to it.
I am still skeptical and will be so until the two main rumors are confirmed. I would bet the farm on Peter as director but 3-D is a different story. GDT said that Peter was against it (No I don't have the reference and it may have been an inference) so I believe that there would have to be some heavy arm twisting or some deal worked out to change the films' course. Then again it could be shot as planned and Weta could do an ultra high end conversion. This would feed Weta and let Peter shoot his movie. What ever. This is the last hurrah.

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Make the Hobbit Happen Now please!

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Oct 3 2010, 7:07am)

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 3 2010, 7:15am

Post #79 of 100 (571 views)
Shortcut
oh yeah, true [In reply to] Can't Post

they are still kinda just rumors

The Trees will have their revenge! And they will have it in glorious 2D!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 7:18am

Post #80 of 100 (573 views)
Shortcut
Yah rumors without any other sources confirming (as far as I have seen).// [In reply to] Can't Post

( ) In 3-D with the One Ring on.

Heaven is almost here.

Photobucket

Ermanatar
The Shire

Oct 3 2010, 8:49am

Post #81 of 100 (590 views)
Shortcut
3D isn't what it used to be [In reply to] Can't Post

When was the last time you went to see a 3D movie? It's not like it was back in the day when arrows were flying at your head, as you so eloquently put it. I have yet to see a shot that was set up specifically for 3D like what you're describing. At least not recently. Maybe back when Spy Kids 3D came out, but not since Avatar. It's not about distractions anymore. Nothing about the 3D experience took me out of the film when I saw Avatar in the theater. It's about pulling you in to the world, not constantly taking you out as 3D movies in the past have done. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. ;)

PLAY LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 9:06am

Post #82 of 100 (567 views)
Shortcut
Did you actually see Avatar.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit is almost here.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Patty
Immortal

Oct 3 2010, 9:27am

Post #83 of 100 (552 views)
Shortcut
It's go great to be back to the 3D discussions again... [In reply to] Can't Post

we've been down in MGM and greenlight and union Hades for so long.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 1:31pm

Post #84 of 100 (608 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though PJ initially didn't want to do it, with the departure of GdT it's probably a good solution. I had been wondering how a new director would deal with having to get on now after so much work of pre-production has already been done; he would be quite limited in doing his own thing, I imagine. So, if that is true, I'm a happy girl.

Not too happy about the 3D bit, however. My few experiences with that were horrible - vertigo and nausea, even with a 30-minute-film. Not sure I could even sit through a whole 3-hour-film.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 2:02pm

Post #85 of 100 (581 views)
Shortcut
The original picture was [In reply to] Can't Post

a tree hugger thing. I cropped that stuff out. But it's also an homage to my previous footer of my baby looking at a spot of light on the floor with the same quote from The Sil.

So think greenlight, Sir Dennis! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Oct 3 2010, 2:03pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 2:43pm

Post #86 of 100 (564 views)
Shortcut
That's rude [In reply to] Can't Post

Ermanatar clearly stated he had seen Avatar. What's the point of asking - with no further comment - whether he did so? Moreover, my experience of watching it in 3D was the same as his - pulling you in to the world, not constantly taking you out as 3D movies in the past have done. He even made it quite clear that it was only his opinion. You are certainly entitled to a different opinion, but it's not necessary to be insulting in expressing it.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 3:34pm

Post #87 of 100 (531 views)
Shortcut
It is, and I'm starting to get twitchy.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been searching the news pages over the weekend and there's plenty of hopeful reports, but they all seem to be feeding off the original 'any day now' ones from the LA Times and the New York Times. The union business is still rumbling away in the background, though - look at this:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/hobbit-battle-a-threat-to-film-talks/story-e6frg996-1225933544323

I want the good news to come true, but I do hope we're not all dancing round the Party Tree too soon...

*Anxiously crosses fingers and goes back to holding breath*

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 5:04pm

Post #88 of 100 (498 views)
Shortcut
I dont think Kangi was rude. Maybe he missed reading that part [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 5:27pm

Post #89 of 100 (499 views)
Shortcut
well we haven't heard anything denying it either [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd think if PJ wasn't going to direct, he'd be pretty quick about putting down this rumor

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 5:36pm

Post #90 of 100 (469 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought I'd be glad for these discussions to be back, but I am

It's nice to be discussing something, while not completely trivial, is much less critical than MGM, etc.

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 5:38pm

Post #91 of 100 (485 views)
Shortcut
You're right Oiorari [In reply to] Can't Post

What's promising is that Jackson's spokeman declined to comment, I think he would have said "no" if that was not the case - like he did some months ago where he said that it was not possible. I have hope.

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 3 2010, 5:54pm

Post #92 of 100 (515 views)
Shortcut
Let's say we get the green soon [In reply to] Can't Post

what happens between now and January? I'm guessing mainly casting and the Weta workshop buzzing right along? Will be nice to start getting into the fun of it again after all this hardship.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 6:13pm

Post #93 of 100 (485 views)
Shortcut
It will be chaos [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be a fun and chaotic rollercoaster of casting rumours and speculation. There will be angst aplenty. While I'm hoping Martin Freeman gets the lead role, I would also like Doug Jones and Ron Perlman to appear (probably as the Goblin-King and Beorn). Anything that makes this version of The Hobbit closer to del Toro's unrealised vision is a plus in my book.

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 3 2010, 6:34pm

Post #94 of 100 (457 views)
Shortcut
I vote for GDT in a cameo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm...but what could it be? Maybe somewhere in the end battle or a resident of Laketown? ;)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 6:39pm

Post #95 of 100 (491 views)
Shortcut
"I have yet to see a shot that was set up specifically for 3D" [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire movie was composed around the 3-D effect. It is not the only thing going on but it is always conscientiously there. There were not a lot of Jump-out-at-you effects but the little floaty seed things stick in my mind. I saw the digital effects as truly superior in the movie. The actual 3-D effect works nearly the same as it did in1968 though it is a great deal less blurry. However the restraint shown by the film makers was remarkable and accounts for a lot of positive response to the movie. My biggest problem with the techniques used by the makers of Avatar was not 3-D but the digital creation and alteration of everything on the screen. This helped to keep the totally CGI sequences from clashing with live action shots but it did it at the expense of reality. A vague hint of Beowolf, 300 and yes Schrek tinged the film. This is a matter of taste. And Avatar was a good story to showcase the state of the digital 3-D arts and it was done masterfully but in regards to filming (or should I say shooting and compositing) the two Hobbit movies using the same approach will not necessarily ruin the tale. It will completely detach these two films from the three that preceded. It will never be a five movie set.

I have said enough about the problems 3-D causes a good percentage of viewers and it would be nice if they have theaters for the 3-D challenged. It is not nice that theater operators set a premium on the ticket prices for 3-D films.

Now...

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 6:43pm

Post #96 of 100 (454 views)
Shortcut
He was going to play a creature [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo was going to play a creature in prosthetics who said a couple of lines, then got killed. He planned to sculpt the prosthetics himself. My guess is a goblin at the Battle of Five Armies. And yes, I hope it happens, too.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 6:44pm

Post #97 of 100 (459 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

was born to be the Great Goblin. But they will have to use a lot of prostheses to cover up his cuddly self. (And that was not a fat slam as I am also gravitationally challenged.)EvilEvil

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 3 2010, 7:05pm

Post #98 of 100 (476 views)
Shortcut
can't help but feel [In reply to] Can't Post

like we're going to see a headline we've all been waiting for either today or tomorrow. Now I have to go to work and be away from the computer. Sigh. At least it's great pay on Sunday. Thanks union! :)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 7:10pm

Post #99 of 100 (442 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep refreshing the front page regularly hoping to see a green-light announcement

*clicks refresh button*Cool

Mithrandír
Lorien

Oct 3 2010, 8:14pm

Post #100 of 100 (495 views)
Shortcut
HIIIIIIHAAAAA!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's basically my only emotion right now :)

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.