Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New York Times: Jackson to direct 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 6:22pm

Post #51 of 100 (723 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

And, do museum curators lament the fact that the great paintings of the world were not made with scratch 'n sniff technology? Just think how many more kids they could get in the door! ;)

The Trees will have their revenge!

rings7
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 6:28pm

Post #52 of 100 (805 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...is if Guillermo del Toro was directing it. I don't think I'll ever completely get over the disappointment of his departure. But Peter Jackson is a worthy replacement, and likely the best we could hope for under the circumstances.

PJ is no replacement. In that case, i think It was GDT who was "replacing" Peter in the director's chair. A worthy replacement as you might say. I also wanted so much to see GDT's work on the Hobbit. And i was also devastated for this departure. But i also see this as simply the job going back to its original creator after the "replacement" left.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 2 2010, 6:29pm

Post #53 of 100 (743 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh I hope this means the ball is rolling. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some would prefer another director, but I'm happy with PJ. Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 6:29pm

Post #54 of 100 (742 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen many 3D films? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've only seen one (Avatar), but I thought it looked highly realistic. When I look at one of the interior scenes aboard the humans' spaceship, I don't see anything blurry, cartoonish or lacking in detail. I'll admit that the sense of depth was intensified (even when watching it in 2D it looked pretty three-dimensional), but apart from that I didn't notice any difference from a native 2D film. The way you're talking about 3D makes it sound as if you're talking about 300 or Beowulf, where all the backgrounds are completely CG, and sometimes the characters are, too. Now THAT would be terrible for The Hobbit.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2010, 6:39pm

Post #55 of 100 (746 views)
Shortcut
Off topic... but might I say... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I am completely in love with your new footer! It's timely and brilliant Cool

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 2 2010, 6:52pm

Post #56 of 100 (714 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Yes you may. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

I was inspired by the "almost greenlit" thread earlier. We've got to start sending green vibes out there!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 6:58pm

Post #57 of 100 (720 views)
Shortcut
Saw my first Polorized color movie in 1968 [In reply to] Can't Post

Also saw a bunch of the old blue and red ones (I think anamorphic is the term). I saw Avatar & Jaws 3-D and a sprinkling of 3-D horror Films. Also Burton's Alice. I am not an expert but I have taken the time to learn a bit. I believe that all films will be in 3-D when they lick the glasses issue. That will still leave out around 18% of the potential audience that can't watch 3-D films without getting nauseous. There are also some potential health related issues that are being looked at in regards to long term viewing of 3-D films.

"it sound as if you're talking about 300 or Beowulf, where all the backgrounds are completely CG, and sometimes the characters are, too." This is a perfect description of Avatar (Admitted, Weta did it very well) and "Now THAT would be terrible for The Hobbit"

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Oct 2 2010, 6:59pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 7:06pm

Post #58 of 100 (725 views)
Shortcut
Oh now I get it [In reply to] Can't Post

at first I thought it was some kind of tree-hugger thing. Forest for the trees and all that.

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 7:13pm

Post #59 of 100 (733 views)
Shortcut
The world is changed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel it in the forums. I feel it in the theatres. I smell it in the concessions. Much that once was is lost, for few now live who seem to care. It began with the forging of the great films. But the race of men said, "Wouldn't it be cool if these were in 3D and we wouldn't have to stretch our short attention spans on an actual story"?

The Trees will have their revenge!

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 7:20pm

Post #60 of 100 (707 views)
Shortcut
It's a matter of developing the technology [In reply to] Can't Post

that's why I'm glad there are film makers like Cameron and Jackson who have enough guts and talent to try something new.

They risk loosing the older fan base by pandering to the youngsters.

Damn kids these days with their newfangled 3D and CGI!

Tongue

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Oct 2 2010, 7:21pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 7:44pm

Post #61 of 100 (680 views)
Shortcut
I want us all in one room chearing at the death of Smaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not want to have to see the films without my wife who is 3-D intolerant.
These films are for all of us so lets get them in a format we all can appreciate.

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Make the Hobbit Happen Now please!

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 7:47pm

Post #62 of 100 (700 views)
Shortcut
"Forest for the Trees" [In reply to] Can't Post

A thing some cannot see.

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Photobucket

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 8:16pm

Post #63 of 100 (635 views)
Shortcut
:-D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like it's a shocker or anything, as it's been pretty much assumed for a while now that if The Hobbit is made, PJ will direct it...

But I get to be happy anyways Laugh

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 8:29pm

Post #64 of 100 (662 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit's backgrounds won't be CG [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like the only 'real 3D' film you've seen is Avatar. The older 3D films like Jaws 3D use the 'anaglyph' (blue-and-red) method, which is a completely different format to James Cameron's real 3D. Avatar looks cartoonish because it was filmed against a green screen and had all the computer-generated backgrounds added in post-production. Alice in Wonderland was filmed in 2D against a green screen, then converted to 3D in post, which is why it looks double-fake.

As far as I know, NO ONE has yet attempted to shoot a realistic native 3D film against real backdrops. The backgrounds in Peter Jackson's LotR look real not because they were shot in 2D, but because they were shot in a real place, New Zealand, rather than being generated by a computer. I'm confident that he'll be able to pull off the 'realistic 3D' look (he might even be one of the first; I can't think of any real 3D films so far other than Avatar, only fake ones like Alice and Clash of the Titans). I guess we'll have to wait for Peter to come out with a statement explaining how he plans to use the 3D tech, or, alternatively, wait two years and judge the result for ourselves...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 9:07pm

Post #65 of 100 (635 views)
Shortcut
The Bubble 1968 please feel free to look it up. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was polarized and in regular color.

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 9:54pm

Post #66 of 100 (658 views)
Shortcut
Why haven't other sources echoed PJ directing 3-D Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

You would think that it would pop up somewhere.Unsure

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Photobucket

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 2 2010, 9:59pm

Post #67 of 100 (617 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Kangi - everyone should have the opportunity to watch it. Also, when Thorin speaking to Bilbo in his dying breath, the last thing I want to do is to fiddle with my clumsy 3D glasses. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Huan71
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 10:37pm

Post #68 of 100 (614 views)
Shortcut
Real life 3D...not CGI... [In reply to] Can't Post

A "real life" 3D film.
...There was also a similar American movie!
BTW...I'm not saying this film would be your "cup of tea"...Just an example of the technology!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNw4aKZ0WvE

Huan71
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 11:01pm

Post #69 of 100 (607 views)
Shortcut
Great post finrod!... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For the record, I do shoot with a ‘digital 35mm’ camera, a Nikon D700. I can do far more with it than you can with film. This has next to nothing in common with the common digicams in your cell phone or shirt pocket. Don’t make the mistake of judging professional digital photography based on some little consumer toy.

....and BTW i hope to get a Sony A560 soon. not as flashy as yours, but a family member works for Sony and can get me a discount lol !

Whatever Dee The Hobbits filmed in, i'm just pleased that the last day or two has seen some really positive news!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 2 2010, 11:30pm

Post #70 of 100 (563 views)
Shortcut
* is suddenly swoony* U can haz fangirlz sword. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2010, 1:03am

Post #71 of 100 (592 views)
Shortcut
I knew October would start off better! [In reply to] Can't Post

September was a horrible month. October will be better, yes? :D

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Galadhwen
The Shire

Oct 3 2010, 1:42am

Post #72 of 100 (583 views)
Shortcut
*Dances around for joy* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the best news I have heard all day Laugh
It's a bummer about the 3D though... Anyway I can't sit still I'm so excited!

~The woods are burning, the ground lies bare. Do you feel it in the earth? Can you smell it in the air? The war is upon you, death moves in the fading light. Are you part of this world? Will you join their fight?~

---

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ermanatar
The Shire

Oct 3 2010, 2:33am

Post #73 of 100 (545 views)
Shortcut
WOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't posted in a while simply because the news that was flowing in was so damned depressing, but this is GREAT NEWS!!!! I knew that Jackson would swoop in and save this thing!

A word to Sir Peter if he's reading these posts:
DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!!! We all know how you felt a bit apprehensive about coming back to the director's chair for Middle-earth, but we here at TORN and legions of fans around the globe want you to know that we have the utmost confidence that these Hobbit films will be nothing less than stellar! We also hope that you haven't grown too weary of working in the trenches for these films and can only speculate on the emotional and psychological costs. We want you to know that we GREATLY appreciate all of the hard work and dedication you have put in to getting these stories out there on the screen and we can't thank you enough for being our champion. So.....go and make these movies! And know that you have the full support of all of us!!!

PLAY LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

Ermanatar
The Shire

Oct 3 2010, 2:51am

Post #74 of 100 (554 views)
Shortcut
3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhh, and about this 3D business:

It really doesn't matter if they are shot in 3D. There will still be the 2D version out there, so all of you that are whining about the 3D, can put your fears to rest. This is just a way for the filmmakers (including Pete) to make some extra cash on these films. Do we NOT want MGM to pull in more cash? Don't you WANT to see a Bond film someday??? It's not like the 3D of yesterday anymore, where things are popping out of the screen and hitting you in the eyeball. The 3D of today pulls you in and makes you feel like you're in the film. I for one, actually WANT to experience that in the Hobbit. So stop whining and go watch the 2D version and be happy.

PLAY LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 3 2010, 3:50am

Post #75 of 100 (514 views)
Shortcut
It makes some people sick.// [In reply to] Can't Post

I said earlier. I would like us all to be in one room at the premier.

Kangi Ska In 3-D

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.