Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
NYT Times: Hobbit will be in 3-D
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 1 2010, 6:11pm

Post #1 of 61 (2296 views)
Shortcut
NYT Times: Hobbit will be in 3-D Can't Post

New York Times reporter Michael Cieply, hardly a reporter known to spread rumor, is reporting from an unnamed source close to the production that "The Hobbit" films will be in 3-D (a la AVATAR). Michael was at our Comic-Con 2010 panel where the audience universally despised the idea of the films being created in 3-D. Also in his report, he mentions that the greenlight for the project is close, and more importantly, a rumored release date of December 19th 2012. [Full Story] We know its beating a dead horse, but share your thoughts on a 3-D Hobbit in the comments and through the 'discuss' link!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2010, 11:33pm

Post #2 of 61 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really don't want it in 3-D. I find this 'rumour' somewhat disappointing.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 61 (1384 views)
Shortcut
When Peter Jackson stands up and says so, then I will believe: [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way I think this could happen with PJ's support is a promise of an theatrical release of the three Lord of the Rings films in 3-D between now and release of H 1. If Christopher Nolan, Guillermo del Toro & Alfonso Cuaron do not need 3-D to make the best fantasy/sifi movies in recent history why degrade the Hobbit with gimcracks.

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 1 2010, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 61 (1404 views)
Shortcut
I hate 3D but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's be honest, it comes as absolutely no surprise. There is no way the studio would allow a 2D Hobbit in a climate where every big budget action film has to be in 3D.

I can only hope they give Jackson a big enough budget so that he can still achieve his true vision despite all the extra complexity 3D filming brings into the equation.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2010, 11:45pm

Post #5 of 61 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Nooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh. I'm so sick of this 3D nonsense. The LotR trilogy was so beautiful and classically cinematic. I hope this means the film will just be converted after the fact so PJ doesn't have to devote added effort to the filming process when all his focus should be on the story.

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 1 2010, 11:46pm)

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 1 2010, 11:45pm

Post #6 of 61 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Nolan? [In reply to] Can't Post

Batman 3 might end up being in 3D as well. Frown

It seems the studios have the last word and we know very well that they go with the hype of the moment... Unsure

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2010, 11:47pm

Post #7 of 61 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

that these suits in Hollywood would show the guts to go against the 'trend'. I really haven't run into anyone in the last year who are gung-ho about 3-D. I find it baffling its as popular as it is, as I really haven't come across anyone who prefers the 3-D format. If I only have the choice of 3-D there is a very good chance I'm not going to see it in the theatres.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 11:49pm

Post #8 of 61 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Nolan said he does not want to shoot in extra Ds. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I was not at work I would give you the reference.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 11:50pm

Post #9 of 61 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I like your username :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 11:51pm

Post #10 of 61 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Just wait [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3-D lovers will be coming out soon.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 11:52pm

Post #11 of 61 (1349 views)
Shortcut
I don't know maybe we should take a step back...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2010, 11:59pm

Post #12 of 61 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a huge sports fan, I work in sports tv, I watch a ton of sports...a ton. And I keep hearing how great sports will be in 3-D. Along with action and horror movies. I just don't see it. I don't care to see a goofy looking football 'appear' to be coming out of my screen. If I want to have a hockey puck zinging by my head, I'll go to the game live. I know what a puck looks like up close, I have no need to see it in 3-D while I'm at home watching the game with a bowl of popcorn.
There must be enough support for 3-D to continue promoting it this way. And around the watercooler here at work, I keep hearing how the 3-D tv sales have absolutely tanked. Anyway......

rings7
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 12:01am

Post #13 of 61 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Seriously... [In reply to] Can't Post

at this point, i don't give a holy crap if they make it on 3D, 4D, 5D, 10D who cares!! just make it happen!!!!

Ruijor
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 12:02am

Post #14 of 61 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Kanji Ska, [In reply to] Can't Post

Im a Batman fan, Im up to date with the The Dark Knight sequel and Im well aware that none of the Team Nolan members is found of shooting in 3D.

With that said I wonder how much of a struggle will Warner embrace to make it happen. After all, Inception didnt need it and that one was right for it.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 12:08am

Post #15 of 61 (1321 views)
Shortcut
3-D TV tanked because few can afford one & [In reply to] Can't Post

if you spring the big bucks you will get tired of the glasses and the three movies available in TV 3-D.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Oct 2 2010, 12:08am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 12:18am

Post #16 of 61 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Well not only was it expensive [In reply to] Can't Post

to buy the tv.....but your are also right on the fact no one was making any 3-D programming! There were a handful of 3-D movies, but no 3-D tv shows. So why spend that kind of cash on a 3-D tv when there is next to nothing to watch on it? Digital Cable is still not in every home in North America, let alone High Definition. And folks are supposed to make the jump to 3-D?
And on top of that some broadcasters are not making shows in HD because of the cost, not just because folks don't have HD at home. The cost is huge for a show or production in HD. Not only the cameras, but the studio has to be made-over so that its HD compatible. All the edit machines, sound...everything has to converted from SD to HD in order to put out a 'real' HD program. There are a ton of stations that can't afford to make the jump to HD yet. And we're supposed to buy a 3-D tv for the handful of movies in 3-D? So I'll be one waiting until my HD tv is obsolete probably before I upgrade to 3-D and have everyone sit in my living room with glasses on to watch the hockey game on Saturday nights. Anyway.....!!!!

(This post was edited by Donry on Oct 2 2010, 12:26am)

Gildor
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 12:32am

Post #17 of 61 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Lot's o' Hatin' goin' on [In reply to] Can't Post

Since everyone else is so negative about this news, I thought I'd chime in.

If done well, TH in 3-D could be earth shattering. Avatar blew me away, and I can only imagine how much better 3-D could be in a couple years.

And no, 3-D is not just stuff zinging by your face. The best part of 3-D is the subtle stuff, depth to the screen, not just things coming out of the screen but things going into the screen.

Of course, it would have to be done really well. Hold nothing back. If they aim to improve on the work of Avatar then it could be amazing. If they look to throw another Clash of Titans, then it will suck.

So the balls in their court, and instead of immediately going negative, I'm willing to give it a try (I'll be sure to watch in 2D as well as it will most definitely be available in both formats like every other 3-D movie)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 12:51am

Post #18 of 61 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Ya still have to wear those consarned glasses and 40 years of technological advances [In reply to] Can't Post

has not changed 3-D all that much. Why will magic happen between now and January?

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 1:11am

Post #19 of 61 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't seem to be irrational hatin though [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see anyone saying they don't like 3D just to not like it.

Me - the glasses sometimes give me headaches and they gave my kids headaches when we saw Avatar. It can add to the visuals but I'd like to see The Hobbit the same 2D format as LOTR. But hey that's just me. Wait, it's not just me. Wink

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 2:01am

Post #20 of 61 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Just had an awful thought.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know how forced perspective was used practically everywhere in LotR to create the illusion of hobbit/dwarf scale? Filming that in 3D would be an absolute nightmare, probably impossible as the two techniques are fundamentally incompatible. For many moving shots they even used an incredibly elaborate technique where portions of sets were mounted on movable platforms that moved independantly of each other to create a totally fake sense of perspective. This illusion would break if a 3D camera is used. This would be a *huge* reason not to do The Hobbit in 3D in my opinion.

Here's a clip that shows the technique - pretty incredible stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlxpnRxDJs

I guess they'll just have to do a lot more bluescreen work, which is a shame really, as to my eye it always looks "off" when actors are composited seperately into shots. Unless there's something I'm missing and they can somehow combine the two techniques...?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 2:34am

Post #21 of 61 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Who said we've heard it all in the 3D debate? [In reply to] Can't Post

An excellent point I have no memory of being made before. This is wonderful!

What happens on the film plane inside 3d cameras? How do 3d cameras see that is different from traditional cameras? I have no idea.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 2:50am

Post #22 of 61 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Bait and switch? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now on special: the lesser of two evils!

Spend a week scaring the bejeepers out of fans with news of the production's probable demise so they will accept a 3D Hobbit as good news afterall. Better than no Hobbit at all, right?

How's that for a conspiracy theory? Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 2 2010, 2:53am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 2:50am

Post #23 of 61 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Yes I haven't heard that brought up before either [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it would destroy the effect. I can see the point you make. This was definitely a low-cost solution to the scale problem.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 2:55am

Post #24 of 61 (1200 views)
Shortcut
3D on the grassy knoll // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 2:56am

Post #25 of 61 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Straight forced perspective will not work in 3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

There would have to be some other manipulation.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.