Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
A problem with LOTRO

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Oct 1 2010, 4:50pm

Post #1 of 2 (667 views)
Shortcut
A problem with LOTRO Can't Post

So for the past 3 days I have been unable to play LOTRO. Everytime I log in, a game error message pops up that says I don't have DirectX9.0c or higher installed. I have never had this problem before. The game automatically installs the neccesary programs when you install the game, right?

About the only things I haven't tried is logging on to a different server and uninstalling and re-installing the game. And I really don't want to do the latter. I've sent an e-mail to the tech support team, and should get a reply soon. In the meantime, I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on the subject, as I am a very impatient person. Thanks in advance.

I have no personality whatsoever. Cower before my blandness!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 1 2010, 8:02pm

Post #2 of 2 (1626 views)
Shortcut
If it worked before [In reply to] Can't Post

that is, assuming you had the proper version of DirectX, and now it is not working it may be that the file has become corrupt (or your LOTRO files are corrupt). The usual suspect is a virus or malware of some sort. I would update your virus scanner and run a scan. Depending on your anti-virus provider, you can either scan your entire machine or just the files in question.

If your scanner doesn't pick anything up, again depending on the scanner, this doesn't rule out a file corrupting virus. Computer professionals run multiple antivirus, grayware, malware etc products (never of a type at the same time!) when trying to track down bugs. The deepest and most thorough scanner I've ever come across is called Viper: http://www.vipreantivirus.com/ . It is available as a fully functional free trial that finds and corrects(!) everything you can imagine and more. The trial is time limited though -- you can never use it for free again on the same machine -- so should only be used if theres a bug that cannot be downed by other means. Or you can just buy the program, you will not regret it.

Or you can just download a fresh version of directX 9.0c here: http://www.brothersoft.com/directx-9.0c-61471.html It has been freeware since 2004 I think. Note that if you are running Windows 7 you may need to find a different provider.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.