The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Breaking News: Fire at Wellington Film Studios

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Sep 30 2010, 10:45pm

Post #1 of 5 (389 views)
Shortcut
Breaking News: Fire at Wellington Film Studios Can't Post

Story developing: A studio that helped make some of Wellington's most famous films is on fire in Wellington. A huge fire at Portsmouth Miniatures Studio broke out at 3.10pm. A pall of smoke can be seen all over the eastern suburbs, rising from the building, near Wellington Airport.

The studio's manager said she was on her way to the scene. No-one was hurt, she said. ''And that's the main thing.'' Crews from all around the Wellington region have gone to fight the blaze. Portsmouth Miniatures Studio has had a hand in many Wellington films. Its facilities were used during the making of Peter Jackson movies including King Kong and the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. More..

Patty
Immortal

Oct 1 2010, 5:41am

Post #2 of 5 (215 views)
Shortcut
So glad no one was hurt... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's the main thing.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Elven
Valinor

Oct 1 2010, 8:52am

Post #3 of 5 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts are with them ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness no one was hurt, and swift action and a Fire Brigade in such close proximity minimized the damage.
Great Praise to the guy who sounded the alarm so swiftly and to the Fire Crews who put the situation under control.
Glad to see everyone got to safety in time.

Frown
What a shock this must be to the Wellington Movie Industry at the moment.
Another hurdle they dont need.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 1 2010, 11:04am

Post #4 of 5 (169 views)
Shortcut
Omg! No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so grateful no one was hurt... and I'm not one that's proned to paranoia... but it seems so strange that they should suffer a fire right now in a building that wasn't very active while they're working on the roof. It could have been caused to roofers, but the fire was inside.

This is awful. I hope it was focused on the workshop area and not where the miniatures for the films are stored. The current project for The Hobbit would have been in the work area, though.

This is horrible!

The picture was taken by a Selkirk...

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 9:51am

Post #5 of 5 (212 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad no one was hurt; it could have been so much worse at that time of day. And the firefighters were there very fast. Now I hope the damage wasn't too severe.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.