Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
**TTT-EE Appendices Discussion -- Soundscapes of Middle Earth, Part 2 -- "Sound doesn't create Itself.."**

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 29 2010, 3:50am

Post #1 of 12 (248 views)
Shortcut
**TTT-EE Appendices Discussion -- Soundscapes of Middle Earth, Part 2 -- "Sound doesn't create Itself.."** Can't Post

Forging ahead here...this is the second post in this week's discussion of the Appendices feature on "sound" from the TTT-EE.

In my first post, I posed 10 questions based on things this feature covers -- in this post, you'll find out the answers to 4 of them:

1. A lot of the TTT sounds were recorded in a cemetery -- why?

Almost all of TTT is based on outdoor settings -- so they wanted to to record as many sounds in that environment as possible. Wellington is a very noisy city, so they were very happy to find a cemetery, which was relatively quiet, close to the studio to do their work.

2. A lot of the sounds were recorded at night -- why?

Even though the cemetery was quiet, they still had to deal with cars, planes, etc. Nighttime was the quietest time they could get. They had to inform the police every time they went out at night to the record at the cemetery, since they were out there firing bows and arrows and screaming. It was good to let the police know it was just the crazy Weta guys at work.

They comment, too, that some of the best sounds they got at this site were created by accident -- they were going for one effect, but ended up with something even better when the sound process did not go exactly as planned.

3. Name a good use for a cheese grater other than grating cheese.

The sound crew really liked the sound that was created by swinging a cheese grater around on a rope, and looked for a place to use it. The right spot turned out to be the "swish" of the Fell Beast's tail, particularly as it flies toward Osgiliath at the end of TTT.

4. What should you never do if you are an inebriated cricket fan and Peter Jackson asks you to sound like an Uruk Hai?

Even if you've not watched this feature, you have probably heard of the time that Jackson went to a cricket stadium and got the entire crowd to chant in Black Speech at half time, which was used in the scene where Saruman speaks to his army of tens of thousands of Uruks. The sound crew came up with this idea, since if they just magnified a few voices many times it would not have the "breadth" of thousands of actual voices.

In addition to the chanting, Jackson also had the crowd pounding their chests, and stomping their feet, but those effects were not used because the cricket fans who were inebriated couldn't help from yelling out obscenities or "we love you Peter" while doing that.

When Christopher Lee was filming his part of this scene, the sound guys thought they should give him something to respond to, so a few of them stood opposite "the balcony" and did the Uruk chant. Lee said they were so terrible at it that he just ignored them and used his imagination instead! (I guess just because you make good sounds does not mean you can act!)

And now, some (hopefully fun) questions for you...

1. Can you name any of the sound crew? (I'll post all their names in the final posts). All of the sound guys featured in this segment are, well, guys -- are girls just not as attracted to this field? Is there a genetic basis to sound artistry?

2. Would you be okay with hanging out in a cemetery at night as part of your job?

3. Did the cheese grater sound for the Fell Beast's flight work for you? What would make someone consider using a cheese grater in this way? Look around your kitchen -- what might you use, in a creative way, to generate a great sound effect?

4. Could you hold your ground as a chanting Uruk playing opposite Christopher Lee? Or would he have to use his imagination on you, too?

5. Any other comments on this part, or the other thoughts that come to mind as you consider the use of sound in TTT?

Tomorrow -- the answers to the next four questions...(see first post to see what they are)

Weaver

Trevelyan
Bree

Sep 29 2010, 3:22pm

Post #2 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
Still reckon a TORn Coleslaw would go down a treat! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Can you name any of the sound crew? (I'll post all their names in the final posts). All of the sound guys featured in this segment are, well, guys -- are girls just not as attracted to this field? Is there a genetic basis to sound artistry?
I can't remember anybodys name from the sound department, but the main guy has a beard and glasses - he went and cut down trees at his Dad's farm I seem to remember, and he involved with most of the sound ideas, he might even be the cheese grater guy. I remember other people from other departments, like Gino Asavito the make-up prop guy, Mark Ordesky is from New Line, Barry Osbourne and people like that, but no sound peoples name came to me.

2. Would you be okay with hanging out in a cemetery at night as part of your job?
Anyone will do anything for money, so if it was my job to hang out in a Cemetery then I would. As long as I had a Dog or some company.....it would get scary, alright!!!

3. Did the cheese grater sound for the Fell Beast's flight work for you? What would make someone consider using a cheese grater in this way? Look around your kitchen -- what might you use, in a creative way, to generate a great sound effect?
Back to the Coleslaw Weaver, I'm afraid. *Scans around my Kitchen* I could smash a jar of Thai Green Curry paste on the floor, might make a decent sound mixed with hitting a grill pan with a spoon.

4. Could you hold your ground as a chanting Uruk playing opposite Christopher Lee? Or would he have to use his imagination on you, too?
Christopher Lee seems an intimidating guy, so I would probably try to do the best I could but he'd give me a glare and I'd run away. And because he's a Tolkien nut and reads LotR every year, he'd most likely pick up on any
mispronunciations I was doing when talking in the Black Speech.

5. Any other comments on this part, or the other thoughts that come to mind as you consider the use of sound in TTT?
Didn't they record really heavy things smashing into the floor to get sounds of boulders and stuff hitting the floor for the Helm's Deep battle? This could be in RotK though, with the Minas Tirith battle.

www.seregon.co.uk

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 30 2010, 2:43am

Post #3 of 12 (133 views)
Shortcut
Here we go...fun questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 - Is the guy with the glasses and beard David Foley?
As far as girls in this field I would point to fun question #2 as the answer to why females might not be interested in this particular kind of work.

#2 - I would. Being scared is fun if you go into it with the right frame of mind. Plus you have your friends right there with you. Unless they get eaten by the zombies. So you might want to come armed. AAHHhhh... I love Halloween.

#3 - EVERYTHING about the Fellbeast worked for me. If you want that whip sound, you need something with holes. ( I just tried this...) If you swiftly swing a big plastic spoon that isn't slotted through the air, you don't get much of a sound. But swiftly swing a big plastic slotted spoon through the air and...

#4 - I could hold my ground, and I would absolutely relish the opportunity. I am 6' 4" 220lbs....and unafraid of recording sounds in the cemetery at night !

#5 - I am not sure about this........but I think the sound crew received one of the only Oscars for TTT. If this is true ( i'll check later..) NUFF SAID!

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 30 2010, 2:53am

Post #4 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
I hope you didn't actually try that with the green curry paste... [In reply to] Can't Post

..hmm..that's quite a subject line there --

**whistles**

Ok, then!

The bit with the boulders hitting the floor must be from ROTK -- not mentioned in this feature.

And that's a perfect description of the one sound guy -- interesting that you remember what a sound guy "looks" like!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 30 2010, 3:02am

Post #5 of 12 (162 views)
Shortcut
you actually tried that with a spoon? [In reply to] Can't Post

...hmm, hoom..that's another subject line someone could have some fun with...

**looks around innocently**

Bonus points for you for swinging a slotted spoon around in your kitchen -- I guess I had never thought before about the difference between the sound making abilities of a slotted spoon versus a solid spoon...I'll have to amaze my family with that trick some night when I'm cooking...they might actually enjoy something I created in the kitchen for a change (my cooking is really bad!)

On #1 -- David Foley! Well, that certainly sounds like a fun play on Foley artist -- points to you for that, and apologies if that's really the guy's name. I will have to check this one out -- will post all the sound guys' names at the end of the week.

On #2, well now, speaking as a girl here, there are definitely some guys I would not mind being in a cemetery at night with...and definitely some I would not want to be there with day or night...and when you throw in hanging out in cemeteries at night with guys who make sounds, well, yes, I do think you've hit up on the right answer to my question!

Weaver

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 3 2010, 12:50pm

Post #6 of 12 (144 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I remember that bit about calling the police and telling them what they were doing. Neighbours or bypassers calling the police to take care of supposed vandals and the police coming with sirens on wouldn't have been exactly the sound they were trying to create, I guess. I really love that sort of little anecdotes.

Oh well, let's give it a try, at least for some questions ...

Hm, let me think ... it's mainly the Oscar winning guys I still remember, as they were mentioned more frequently. Ethan van der Rhyn, Hammond Peek, Michael Semanick. And of course Christopher Boyes, little bro once meet him during a workshop or something, so I remember that one.
Interesting question. All of my brother's co-workers I know are working in the sound department are male, too, but then I know only a very few. Will have to ask him about that; now you made me curious!

Guess I would, save the problem to stay awake. I'm so *not* a night owl!

Um ... why do I have the feeling that even if *I* could do it, *Christopher* would probably die laughing? AngelicCool

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Oct 3 2010, 12:54pm)

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 3 2010, 7:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (131 views)
Shortcut
I swung the spoon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes ,in the name of science I did a sound experiment with spoons. It was fun. Who knew being a Tolkien fan could lead one to swishing cutlery through the air ?!

Oh well I got the David F. part correct...

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 7 2010, 11:46pm

Post #8 of 12 (99 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you weren't swinging a knife... [In reply to] Can't Post

That sort of thing could get you into trouble --

In my elementary school, I used to play the spoons...that was what the nuns used to give to the kids like me who had little musical talent. Maybe we could start up the TORn all spoon band...you could be the swinging star...Smile

David F is David Farmer -- I think you said David Foley? Well, maybe that's his alternate universe self...but you got the David right, so that counts!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 7 2010, 11:50pm

Post #9 of 12 (105 views)
Shortcut
is your brother a sound guy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or does he just work with sound guys?

I'd really like to hear his answer as to whether or not there are any sound girls...the only one I saw in the entire Soundscape feature was the woman who uncorked the bottle of champagne at the end and poured everyone a glass!

Weaver

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 14 2010, 4:32pm

Post #10 of 12 (95 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

he's a sound engineer who is partly working at a radio station and partly having his own sound studio. That's why I roped him into answering some questions from OhioHobbit during the sound part of the Movie Tech Discussion. Still have fond memories of trying to translate his answers into English without dictionary during a train ride while at times barely understanding what he was talking about Wink

Sorry for the late answer, but a) he was visiting with a friend at the other end of the country and b) his e-mail was acting up, it took me forever to get an answer about the percentage.
Little bro said that at his radio station it's about 50% male and 50% female, so the male dominance in the LotR extras seems not to be typical for the whole job, just this production (or for the ones who were interviewed anyway).

TORn Link Collection

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 14 2010, 4:45pm

Post #11 of 12 (97 views)
Shortcut
thanks for replying! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to know that sound careers appeal to women, too...I wonder if it depends on the medium, film, or sound work to be done? Are there more sound guys in films than there are in radio? More sound guys on battle films than sound girls? I wonder!

Nice to know we have our very own sound-man available to us for input on tech discussions -- please thank your brother for me!

Weaver

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 14 2010, 5:00pm

Post #12 of 12 (269 views)
Shortcut
Had been wondering about that, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the fact that at a radio station it's less hectic and your work schedule more foreseeable appeals more to women than the insanity of a production like LotR, who knows? And you are right, all these battles are probably more irresistible to men. Though we would need more knowledge about other movies to really judge it. But it's an interesting question.

TORn Link Collection

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.