The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Audiobooks

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 28 2010, 2:20am

Post #1 of 17 (6674 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Audiobooks Can't Post

So I'm going on a very long road trip and figured I would download some Tolkien onto the ol' ipod. Does anyone have any suggestions for which books I should get, and which editions?

What I'm looking for here is something along these lines:
"You should get _________, read by _________, published by _________."

A pic or two of the cover art wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks a million, everyone!!!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

syameese
Bree

Sep 28 2010, 11:00am

Post #2 of 17 (6209 views)
Shortcut
I like the Rob Inglis version [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the Rob Inglis CD versions of LOTR (the 3 books - yes I know its one book .....) a few years ago and I would recommend them highly. I also noted today that they are now available on itunes at a much reduced price from what I paid Crazy. Not that I am complaining they are imo simply a beautiful rendition of the story.

As one who was a "once a year" reader of the books for many years, it was only after listening to these CDs that I first really "read" all the songs and appreciated the flow of the writing through RI's reading. At 50+ hours well worth it imo

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 28 2010, 1:17pm

Post #3 of 17 (6145 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not too familiar with the audiobook format, but I have a lot of friends who love it, so I thought the best way to go would be with books that I already know and love!

Anyone else have any recommendations for Tolkien audiobooks?

Thanks again!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Oden
Rivendell

Sep 28 2010, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 17 (6151 views)
Shortcut
Rob Inglis versions [In reply to] Can't Post

are done very well and unabridged.

I visited a branch of our public library last month. I always check the "for sale" section (used books, etc that the library system is selling to the public for greatly reduced rates). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all three (FOTR, TTT, ROTK) sets for sale for $2 (USD) a set! A few scratches on some of the CDs but every disk played perfectly.

I ripped them to my PC and loaded them to my MP3 player!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2010, 2:34pm

Post #5 of 17 (6306 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion & JRR Tolkien collection; BBC Radio Plays [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much enjoyed the Silmarillion audiobook, read by Martin Shaw. Listening to the Silmarillion read out loud makes it easier to digest!

The JRR Tolkien Audio Collection features readings of poems and excerpts from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by the man himself, as well as readings by Christopher Tolkien. JRRT's a dramatic reader and his portrayal of Gollum provided interesting insights into the character. (Gollum comes off as simultaneously more obsequious and more unstable in JRRT's reading than I'd originally imagined him to be.) I also found out why Ian McKellen rolled his R's ("Morrdorrr") when he played Gandalf -- he's imitating JRRT!

I also can't resist putting in plugs for the the BBC radio plays of The Hobbit and LOTR, both of which IMO are fine adaptations. The BBC LOTR is a 13-hour dramatization with a superb cast and excellent production values. Although it's somewhat abridged, overall it's faithful to the original story. It has a lovely symphonic score and includes musical arrangements of many of Tolkien's songs. Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in the LOTR movies, plays Frodo in this production. The BBC Hobbit is a 4-hour dramatization that's also pretty faithful to the original. Bilbo is initially played as a comic bumbler and the adaptation does quite a nice job of showing his growth as a person. Its Renaissance music score sounded a bit odd at first but grew on me as the play went on.

All of these audiobooks/radio plays are available from Amazon.com and other fine retailers. I highly recommend them for long car trips! Cool

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Sep 28 2010, 2:43pm)

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 28 2010, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 17 (6162 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

those radio plays are actually good? Because that is all I could find on itunes. My wife has never read the Hobbit (she skipped it and went straight to LOTR), would it be ok for her?

iTunes, unfortunately, does not have the Rob Inglis versions, which is what I want. I'm gonna hafta find a way to get those before Friday. Tongue

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 28 2010, 11:16pm

Post #7 of 17 (6140 views)
Shortcut
The BBC ones are good. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's an American audio dramatization of LotR that has been panned here, so avoid that one.

You aren't restricted to things in the iTunes store. You can get CDs from Amazon or wherever and iTunes will "rip" them for download to whatever device you're using.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 29 2010, 12:03am

Post #8 of 17 (6121 views)
Shortcut
Good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's an American audio dramatization of LotR that has been panned here, so avoid that one.

You aren't restricted to things in the iTunes store. You can get CDs from Amazon or wherever and iTunes will "rip" them for download to whatever device you're using.

I needed them by Friday, but since I'm an Amazon Prime member, I clicked on the $3.99 overnight shipping and will have the Rob Inglis reading of the Hobbit in my hands tomorrow!!!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 29 2010, 12:10am

Post #9 of 17 (6187 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit & LotR are really wonderful.

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2010, 2:04pm

Post #10 of 17 (6143 views)
Shortcut
Listening to The Hobbit is an excellent way to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is wonderful to hear read aloud, so I think you're on the right track with that. I read The Hobbit aloud to my children several times when they were young. We also read LOTR to them a couple of times, a considerably longer undertaking! And of course we listened to the BBC radio plays many times while driving on family trips.

As for the radio adaptations, the BBC LOTR is the best of the lot in terms of acting, music and production. I've listened to it so many times that I "hear" the characters' voices inside my head when I read LOTR. The BBC Hobbit's casting and score are a little off the wall and take some getting used to; your wife may like the unabridged audiobook better. But as I mentioned earlier, the voice acting and music grew on me as I listened to it and now it's a favorite of mine. I second Elizabeth's pan of the Mind's Eye LOTR radio play and do not recommend buying it.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Sep 29 2010, 2:05pm)

Oden
Rivendell

Sep 29 2010, 4:14pm

Post #11 of 17 (6106 views)
Shortcut
I too have the American dramatized version. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I agree the BBC dramatized version is much better, the man who played Frodo (James Arrington) in the American version lived in my neighborhood when I was growing up.

He told me a few stories about the recording sessions. The six or so main actors did almost all the extra character voices as well as sound effects. He remembered having the six actors in a small, hot, sweaty recording booth tramping around and making orc sounds. It was great to hear his stories.

Although I never did get his autograph on my "wooden" boxed set version...

priell3
Lorien

Sep 30 2010, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 17 (6128 views)
Shortcut
4 Audiobooks [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings narrated by Rob Inglis
The Silmarillion narrated by Martin Shaw
The Children of Hurin narrated by Christopher Lee

MikeP

Ostadan
Rivendell

Sep 30 2010, 5:08pm

Post #13 of 17 (6090 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee - Children of Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the Christopher Lee reading of "The Children of Hurin" (Harper Collins Audiobooks) is excellent. I particularly enjoyed his performance of Morgoth's dialogue. Christopher Tolkien also provides context for the story, if you aren't too familiar with The Silmarillion. You won't be able to refer to maps whilst driving, but other than that...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 30 2010, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 17 (6065 views)
Shortcut
All great at bedtime.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 30 2010, 5:51pm

Post #15 of 17 (6123 views)
Shortcut
Just use your GPS.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Oct 1 2010, 2:40am

Post #16 of 17 (7047 views)
Shortcut
My Fav's [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Brian Sibley BBC LotRs
2. Christopher Tolkien reading from Silmarillion
3. Rob Inglis reading Hobbit or LotRs
4. Chistopher Lee reading Children of Hurin
5. Derek Jacobi reading Smith of Wootten Major
6. B. Sibley Tales From The Perilous Realm
7. The Simlarillion read by Martin Shaw

Two do-nots:
Mind's Eye versions of The Hobbit & LotR's (truly awful)
Original 1960's BBC radio version of The Hobbit - quite bad

Hope that helps.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

(This post was edited by Malveth The Eternal on Oct 1 2010, 2:41am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2010, 3:13am

Post #17 of 17 (6383 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

that's actually hilarious Sly

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.