Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Moots in NYC Radiocity weekend - details!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 22 2010, 7:41pm

Post #1 of 71 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Moots in NYC Radiocity weekend - details! Can't Post

Hi all! This is to let everyone know - at last! - about the moots which will be going on the weekend in NYC, around the Radiocity concert.

On Friday night (8th) we have an area reserved in the bar at Connolly's Irish pub, 43 West 54th Street (between 5th and 6th avenue). (We did gather at a Connolly's last year but I think it was a different location...) We have the area from 7pm on. There is NO CHARGE for this event - you just pay your own way for food and drink when you get there! We don't have a private room but Connolly's are holding a semi-private area for us. At this evening we will probably have a quiz with some prizes. There will also be a MATHOM TABLE - if you have a collectible, anything fandom related or which you think might be of interest to sibs, but which you don't want anymore, bring it to the table! Then anyone who sees something they fancy can take it home with them - upcycling in true hobbit style! We also hope to have there a guest of honour, the wonderful artist Donato Giancola - check out his artwork here:
http://www.donatoart.com/news.html#middleearth

This event will run 7-10pm, when those of us who are going to Fellowship! the musical will head on out... Anyone who wants to stay and be thrown out after last orders can do so, of course... Wink

Saturday night is of course the night when most folks are going to Radiocity to see The Two Towers. After the show, we have a table reserved at Maison - 1700 Broadway (at 53rd street), not too far from Radiocity. This will be from about 11pm until 2am! Again, there is NO CHARGE for this event! You just come along there after the show if you want a chance to eat, drink and be merry with 'sibs after the exciting concert.

For those arriving before Friday, there may be some kind of informal dinner on Thursday night; and for those staying until Monday, there may be some kind of dinner on Sunday night too. I know people are also planning some day trips - eg to the Statue of Liberty. Anyway, these above are our two 'official' TORn moots. They are very informal events, but as I say they will include some prizes, some fun, some mathoms and many merry meetings!

Now the business bit - though there is no charge for these events I do need to confirm NUMBERS with both venues. So please REPLY here and let me know if you plan on attending! Hope to see lots of 'sibs in The Big Apple!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2010, 9:34pm

Post #2 of 71 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the update, gd [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for all the work you've put into organizing this. You rock! Cool

TEAM MARTIN!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 23 2010, 5:35am

Post #3 of 71 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! Count me in [In reply to] Can't Post

...for Saturday night!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2010, 10:18am

Post #4 of 71 (1266 views)
Shortcut
That sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for putting this all together!

Count me in for Friday and Saturday. (And also for Thursday and Sunday, but they aren't official Wink).

Garfeimao
Rohan

Sep 23 2010, 5:49pm

Post #5 of 71 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Yes to Saturday night [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be happy to eat after the concert on Saturday.

I can't say yes to anything for Friday until that Friday. If I'm able to get an earlier flight on standby, then I'll be there, and if not, I may not even make it to Fellowship.

As for unofficial things, I won't be around long enough for most of them. Still planning the Breakfast at the Round Table Restaurant at the Algonquin Hotel on Saturday morning at 9am. I've got a table for 6 confirmed right now, it would be nice if those who expressed interest would remind me who they are so I can make sure that number is accurate and tweak it if need be. And the Statue of Liberty will be most of the same people heading over to Battery Park, arriving around 11:30am for anyone else wanting to join in. Seems we all got tickets for Noon for the Statue, so arriving a half hour early is the recommendation from them.

Two weeks tomorrow, woot woot.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2010, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 71 (1261 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there for breakfast. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't guarentee i'll be fully awake, but i'll be there!

TEAM MARTIN!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2010, 6:17pm

Post #7 of 71 (1242 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Well done, gd! Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe you've gotten so much arranged so quickly! This is wonderful :)

I'll definitely be there on Friday and Saturday, and if something's arranged for Thursday night, I'll join in there, too. I'll poke around and see what kind of mathoms I can bring for the table, too :) It'll also depend on how much room I have in my suit case ;)

Cheers TWICE for ya, m'dear! Thanks again!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2010, 6:21pm

Post #8 of 71 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Thanks lots, Garf :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there for the Saturday morning breakfast at 9am; and I've got a 12pm ticket for the Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty tour. I like it that we may have a few people there (at least) to share rides to the site... or at least that I can follow to make sure I don't get lost!! All those buildings start looking the same to me... unless they're adorned with a monkey or giant lizard.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

CAhobbit
Rohan

Sep 23 2010, 7:15pm

Post #9 of 71 (1238 views)
Shortcut
I'm still a go for breakfast! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, garf!

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

CAhobbit
Rohan

Sep 23 2010, 7:53pm

Post #10 of 71 (1370 views)
Shortcut
You rock, GD! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will of course be at all the festivities!

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Tamara
Rivendell

Sep 24 2010, 4:57pm

Post #11 of 71 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Put me down for both Fri/Sat!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 24 2010, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 71 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Donato Giancola confirmed for Friday night... [In reply to] Can't Post

Donato will be joining us for our moot on Friday night, and is very generously donating some prints of his artwork for our quiz prizes! So, all the more reason to join us on Friday if you can! Donato may also have one or two copies of his new Middle Earth art book with him, so if you're interested in buying a copy you could bring cash and even get the artist himself to sign it! A treasure indeed!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Garfeimao
Rohan

Sep 24 2010, 10:10pm

Post #13 of 71 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Very cool indeed, [In reply to] Can't Post

and one more reason I hope I can change my flight.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 24 2010, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 71 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Hope so too Garf! Fingers crossed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

starfish

Sep 25 2010, 6:04pm

Post #15 of 71 (1193 views)
Shortcut
I'm in! [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming I can navigate the subway system effectively (I'm staying a half hour away from the activities) I will be at both! Thank you for organizing this, whomever you are! How will I know you all at the Irish Bar? Listen for the LOTR talk probably.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 25 2010, 6:13pm

Post #16 of 71 (1210 views)
Shortcut
We should be in a space towards the back of the bar... [In reply to] Can't Post

And some - maybe all! - of us will be wearing name tags. And there will be a sign - 'No admittance except on party business'! Wink Glad you can join us!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Sep 25 2010, 10:58pm

Post #17 of 71 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Look for the shirts [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is there will be a few TORn and/or LOTR shirts in the group as well.

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

sara
Lorien

Sep 26 2010, 11:48pm

Post #18 of 71 (1172 views)
Shortcut
I'll know my schedule soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going to the show on Saturday, but will be in NYC Friday and Saturday night. We'll also be visiting friends though, so I'm not 100% sure about Friday(I hope to join you all), but you can count me and the hubby in for Saturday night!

Once I know for certain about Friday I'll let you know if we can make it.

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

sara
Lorien

Sep 26 2010, 11:51pm

Post #19 of 71 (1182 views)
Shortcut
What is considered proper attire? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been to a show at RCMH and I've never attended a live orchestra event. The fact that it's an LOTR event makes it even more confusing for me in terms of what to wear. Casual? Formal? In between? Help please. Examples welcome. :-)

They hold no quarter.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Sep 27 2010, 12:59am

Post #20 of 71 (1145 views)
Shortcut
sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to be at both events, with a good pal who is a major fan....friday will depend on how wiped I am from a week of teaching autistic teens...saturday sounds like a done deal!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 27 2010, 1:53am

Post #21 of 71 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Last year... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we saw everything from jeans to formal wear and even a few costumes. Most people were in the "nice casual" to "casually dressy" part of the spectrum, though.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2010, 5:09am

Post #22 of 71 (1198 views)
Shortcut
mathoms and other luggage [In reply to] Can't Post

Try mailing anything bulky or heavy to yourself at the hotel ahead of time marked PLEASE HOLD UNTIL [DATE]

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

sara
Lorien

Sep 27 2010, 10:21pm

Post #23 of 71 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! Thanks Elizabeth!// [In reply to] Can't Post

They hold no quarter.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2010, 12:03am

Post #24 of 71 (1138 views)
Shortcut
YES to both! [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have some mathoms to contribute. I'll dig around when I get home later this week.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28 2010, 1:28am

Post #25 of 71 (1188 views)
Shortcut
I did that when [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to NZ. I mailed my powdered coffee ahead of time. As soon as I arrived, they asked if I was "The Coffee Lady" ;)

*snigger*

I might just have to do that again... if the cost there and back again is less than grabbing another suitcase. *sigh* Silly airlines...

sample sample

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.