The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Road Goes Ever On (Donald Swann) question

Tuulentytar

Sep 21 2010, 9:10pm

Post #1 of 4 (479 views)
Shortcut
The Road Goes Ever On (Donald Swann) question Can't Post

Hi!

I've been thinking about buying The Road Goes Ever On book, for the music mostly, but I'm also curious about what else there is. The description of the book I read said it includes "Tolkien's notes on elvish history and elven languages" in addition to the music. Does anyone know what these notes are exactly, about what topics? I know there's a full translation of the Namarie and Elbereth Gilthoniel lyrics, but what else is there, if anything?

Thanks! :)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 22 2010, 2:21pm

Post #2 of 4 (201 views)
Shortcut
I have that book! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all the songs, there are ten pages of Tolkien's "scripts, translations, and comments on the Elvish texts for Namarie and A Elbereth Gilthoniel". It's an essay in great depth on Elvish transcription and letter-forms and the derivation of the words, and ends with what I assume is a facsimile of the professors' hand-written Namarie.

I hope this helps!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Tuulentytar

Sep 22 2010, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 4 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Lily! That's very helpful. I think I'll go ahead and buy that book. :)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 23 2010, 2:56pm

Post #4 of 4 (338 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome -- enjoy! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.