Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Why it is taking me years to read the Silmarillion
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:04pm

Post #51 of 74 (379 views)
Shortcut
*head spins* [In reply to] Can't Post

Er . . . yes, I think giving up is the way to go.

Thanks anyway though. ;-)

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it." --Gandalf

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:14pm

Post #52 of 74 (368 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm about up to "*stabbity fiery burny death*" [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually read that before, but it's making more sense now! Yep, a classic.

>as you don't start naming individual peas on your plate<
Wow -- think of all the languages you'd have to come up with to create unique names for all the peas in the world! Sounds like a fun project, I'll get started on that right away. Or not. ;-)

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it." --Gandalf

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:21pm

Post #53 of 74 (360 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the links. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to bookmark this thread and go back and read all the helpful stuff as I get a chance.

I have read the Wikipedia entries on some of the elves and I think that did help with my understanding this time.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:24pm

Post #54 of 74 (371 views)
Shortcut
I guess that's a sarcastic "Thanks a lot"? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I have to try to read the Sil with that image in my head, then so does everyone else! Bwahahah . . .

;-)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:29pm

Post #55 of 74 (361 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call it a "review," per se [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm glad you enjoyed it, whatever it was! (And give your cats my apologies.)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 10 2007, 11:31pm

Post #56 of 74 (351 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - I'm bookmarking this whole thread. /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 10 2007, 11:34pm

Post #57 of 74 (366 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was partial to trees [In reply to] Can't Post

and flowers and birds and domesticated animals, and tended to overlook the other flora and fauna one might expect to find in true wilderness. But perhaps that was because Middle-earth is not true wilderness, but a romanticized version of the English countryside, in which trees and flowers and birds and domesticated animals are all relatively common, but herds of wild animals and "weeds" are not.

Tolkien's "wilderness" tends to be a large version of the small forests and rivers in England, or perhaps the Alpine valley he once visited in Switzerland, or the Cheddar Caves where he honeymooned in England, or the beaches he visited, or the barrow mounds. Unlike, say, Rudyard Kipling, Tolkien really didn't travel much outside of England, and never, I think, outside of Europe, which is not really very wild.

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Jun 10 2007, 11:37pm

Post #58 of 74 (369 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness, that was hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

And really spot on, too! I'm going to need to save this, it's just too funny. That OK with you?

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 10 2007, 11:40pm

Post #59 of 74 (355 views)
Shortcut
Just keep an eye out for Finrod. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 10 2007, 11:52pm

Post #60 of 74 (357 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like you should be getting to Men soon, [In reply to] Can't Post

if you haven't already. I find the stories of Men much easier to follow.

Perhaps that is because the Men die on a regular basis, instead of hanging around to confuse matters when the story has turned to someone else. There's no danger that Beren will turn up in the story of Al-Pharazon, or even the story of Tuor or Turin or Earendil, but those elves just hang around forever.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2007, 12:37am

Post #61 of 74 (353 views)
Shortcut
notice in my footer... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a link called: "Website Directory". I created on the Old Boards a few years ago. Most of the links are still active, though accessing old boards are just a little slow. . . . here it is:
http://www.theonering.net/...0F314300001C9E1.html

There is a 3-page whole section just for the Silmarillion.... I put it all together just before the Reading Room was about to start the discusson series on the Sil back in 1994.

Silmarillion Directory

Whats in it:
Silmarillion Part I The Five Sections: overviews Covers the five sections in order with links relating to each part.

Silmarillion Part 2 References: People, Groups, maps, places, events Covers the details: races, geneologies, family trees, maps, timelines, places, events, chronologies.

Silmarillion Part 3 - The Stories, Essays, Art Covers the Stories, plus essays and art.

Enjoy!

Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2007, 1:11am

Post #62 of 74 (359 views)
Shortcut
it's a variation on LoL [In reply to] Can't Post

References for the term:

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROTFLMAO
...that link will lead you here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/...%28Internet_slang%29

Acronym Search
http://www.acronymsearch.com/...php?acronym=ROTFLMAO

Free Online Dictionary of Computing
http://foldoc.org/foldoc.cgi?ROTFLMAO
. . . that site says it's an an extreme form of ROTFL.

Urban Dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/...ne.php?term=ROTFLMAO

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

for future general reference:
Acronym Search
http://www.acronymsearch.com/

Internet Acronyms Dictionary
http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

wikipedia List of Internet slang
http://en.wikipedia.org/...st_of_Internet_slang

Hope these are helpful . . I recently came back to the discussion board after a long absence and forgot it all. I keep these around when I get stuck by what someone means, sometimes I still have to ask...bad memory! Unsure

Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." Valaquenta

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 11 2007, 1:39am

Post #63 of 74 (351 views)
Shortcut
Now that is cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you see the expressions of people who on occasion walk through the woods (could be anywhere from a park to a wilderness area) suddenly find ...? an entity looking at them. What a gas. It would not bother a LOTR's head but to others it might freak them out.
What a way to protect a personal piece of wilderness property having a hoard of faces pointing outward. Sorta having your own Con Tiki (sp?).
..........Just thought of something else. How'bout putting one of those seeing eye things you see on garden frogs who croak only you put a Treebeard throat clearing recording at a strategic location at a base of a tree where, if you look in that direction you would see 1 face, then another and... Talk about giving someone the willies, especially a night burglar. Have your own personal FangornSly.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 11 2007, 2:03am

Post #64 of 74 (354 views)
Shortcut
It is too bad that he did not get to see the US and its forests [In reply to] Can't Post

which he was considering with a job opportunity but then again how would that have changed all that did happen with all he wrote. Although Mirkwood does seem somewhat primorial

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 11 2007, 2:41am

Post #65 of 74 (362 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know about ROTFLMAO, I was referring to [In reply to] Can't Post

the "Thanks a lot!" at the end of your post.

Here, have some LOLruses.
;-)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 11 2007, 4:29am

Post #66 of 74 (352 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, these are classic!

Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2007, 4:25pm

Post #67 of 74 (350 views)
Shortcut
At the end of *my* post, you mean! [In reply to] Can't Post

And how does one find such wacky Web sites? (the LOLruses!)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 11 2007, 5:03pm

Post #68 of 74 (345 views)
Shortcut
*hee* I've seen [In reply to] Can't Post

the portable hobbit hole they made for Bilbo!

It was in upstate NY, so maybe it will eventually find its way to MistyMountain's new place... =)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 11 2007, 5:31pm

Post #69 of 74 (335 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Sorry about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I surf the internet way too much. Have most of it memorized now, I think. ;-)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jun 11 2007, 7:41pm

Post #70 of 74 (323 views)
Shortcut
Far out! / [In reply to] Can't Post

elostirion74
Rohan

Jun 11 2007, 8:23pm

Post #71 of 74 (330 views)
Shortcut
What else can I say - hilarious:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Even serious lovers of Silmarillion like me cannot help crying with laughter when reading this:)
I particularly loved your number 5 & 8.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jun 12 2007, 12:44am

Post #72 of 74 (314 views)
Shortcut
Feel free, thanks! /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2007, 2:33pm

Post #73 of 74 (324 views)
Shortcut
My favorite is number 9, because [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually like this expression of Tolkien so much!!! In its own context, of course, but even also in the hilarious contemporary context where you take it...!
And, by the way, I just LOVE the whole first half of the Sil !!! It would seem I am not normal, if I judge from most others here?!
To say the truth, I simply *devoured* the whole Sil in one big awed gulp the first time, then only sat down to really go into it and try to ALSO figure out with better precision what was going on and who was doing what!...
And since then, every time I leaf through it again, I get caught again and just go deeper into it one more time...
My only grudge, really, is that it is much more like Greek tragedy and stuff than in LOTR: the 'estel' isn't something so obvious to have and keep with those Elves of the First and Second Ages, and the Men that associate with them to fight this Morgoth, an even more dreadful fellow than any later Sauron... So I do like better the overall atmosphere in LOTR, but, oh my, what grandeur and majesty and big scale heroism and incredible high deeds in this Silmarillion!...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Nuradar
Rohan

Jun 14 2007, 11:13am

Post #74 of 74 (314 views)
Shortcut
brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smeagirl, this is brilliant. Your post made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. I can personally relate to numbers 2 and 3. I referred to the family tree pages so much that if I dropped the book, I bet it would just open to those pages on its own. This list is hilarious - thanks for writing it!

Nuradar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.