Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 6:49am

Post #76 of 666 (167380 views)
Shortcut
Careful there [In reply to] Can't Post

Revealing too much can attract internet stalkers. Keep your wits about you. Shocked

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 4:36pm

Post #77 of 666 (166860 views)
Shortcut
And thank *you*! [In reply to] Can't Post

The baby is my youngest son. He was about 8 weeks old in that picture, now he's 8 1/2 months. It's the only little picture I had at the moment on my computer and I thought it would work well for an avatar until I get the hang of this place.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 4:40pm

Post #78 of 666 (184365 views)
Shortcut
I knew it bugged some people. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them when used sparingly. But they can be like sugar. Too much is too much.

Laugh

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 8:55pm

Post #79 of 666 (166819 views)
Shortcut
Yea, BABY! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all! I'm Patti in RL, and mostly Far here online. I can't post a pic because I am a Geek: Not In A Good Way. Maybe houndrock or Varda or Lu will have pity on me and post the pic of me and Matty, *bats eyes*
I lurked on Old TORn a bit before I joined, but finally took the plunge after TTT came out, where I was scolded and plucked at by many of the oldbies (for an admittedly inane post) who are now my snarkyass friends! Shamed, I ducked into a Hobbit Hole, grew a thicker skin and quickly changed my name to Farawyn.
I live on Long Island, where I hang out with my family; hubby, 2 boys and my mutt, Barney. I'm an RN, and I absolutely love it. My interests include, but are not limited to: reading, cooking, walking, boating and baseball. Lets Go Mets- I loathe the Yankees.
I tawk way more in RL than I do here, so be thankful that you don't *really* know me.
I am a Pod.

Snark: It's what's for dinner.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 9:27pm

Post #80 of 666 (169103 views)
Shortcut
Yikes, how did I miss this thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

I made it all the way to Bree and missed this thread. But I've been enjoying reading it. I'm supposed to be grading calculus tests, so I'll keep it short. I live in Colorado, and have had the great good fortune to meet Altaira and Mr. Altaira and RosieLass and Nefisa and a few other TORnsibs in person. I started reading the front page of TORn in 2000, and sent in several spy reports about things like the Burger King crown with the Ringspell on it, but I didn't actually post until November 2001. I first read LotR in 1970, and I calculate I'm on my 26th reading now.

I'm a community college math professor, and have a husband (Uncle Baggins) and two grown kids. My daughter reads LotR regularly too, and all three of them love the movies.

TORn has been such a wonderful place to be for the past six years. Thanks so much to all who prepared this new home for us!

Here's my pic:

and here's my abistation portrait:

I learned about abistation here on TORn, and I thought I got a pretty good likeness. (My hair is grayer than the photo shows; it's about eight years old.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 3:15am

Post #81 of 666 (170882 views)
Shortcut
I like this board [In reply to] Can't Post

I did like the old board a lot, but believe it had outlived its usefulness. This one is much better. I'm sure the old gang will all find their way here in the next few days. It's nice to be here!

I'm WonderBroad, and I've been on this site from its earliest days. I can't believe how much has happened during the years the site has been up! Amazing.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Feb 22 2007, 3:16am)

houndrock
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 5:26pm

Post #82 of 666 (163876 views)
Shortcut
here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

here's Far with one of her little guys:[/img]

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 7:47pm

Post #83 of 666 (166261 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, GF!
I will learn to do this someday. Oh yes, I will.

"I have a perfect horror of words that are not backed up by deeds."
- Theodore Roosevelt, Oyster Bay, NY, July 7, 1915
Snark: The Other White Meat.
Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.

Drusilla Darling
Bree

Feb 22 2007, 9:00pm

Post #84 of 666 (166863 views)
Shortcut
I sort of already made a new post for this... [In reply to] Can't Post

And then the welcome thread got moved. My bad!

I went by Ayaediran on the old boards starting around 2002ish, but figured it was time for a change.

Here's a pictar:

The user formerly known as Ayaediran

deviantART -->kinda new at this, more to come I promise!

Annûn n'Ithil
The Shire

Feb 23 2007, 1:06am

Post #85 of 666 (167805 views)
Shortcut
The hubby hussled me over here to be introduced to folk proper-like. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many apologies for creating a bit of a kerfuffle. I didn't know this official Intro & Welcome was here!
We should have introduced ourselves before sneaking into the 'Main' hall fer a look-see at the fancy new digs. Hoping to ease into things quietly didn't exactly work out. We (and by that I mean me) caused some confusion. Sorry, everyone!

The old "HobbitLoveR*M-e" is going, going, gone. That slightly silly thing is being exchanged for "Annûn n'Ithil", which is elegant Elvish for West of the Moon.
My mate, referred to formerly as the "hobbity hubby" was never registered before. I finally convinced him to join in as he has lurked long. He is my apposite opposite: "Amrûn n'Anor"; East of the Sun, of course.

It all does seem a bit much when you try to explain things.
Deciding 'off with the old and on with the new' is a bad thing to say to me, I'm thinking. Now what are we going to do for signatures? Hob was pretty good - Sunny and Moony - not so much. : {

Well, we'll come up with something. In the meanwhile, just remember, he's the tall one, I'm the short one.

See ya all on our wonderful new TORN!

An'I & An'A

Oldbie: HobbitLoveR*M-e

Egleria! Iorhael!
Eglerio! Daur a Berhael!

Drusilla Darling
Bree

Feb 23 2007, 3:46am

Post #86 of 666 (166699 views)
Shortcut
Hey lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aya here, long time no see/speak! I love your hair color, it's so vibrant.

The user formerly known as Ayaediran

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
~ Albus Dumbledore

deviantART -->kinda new at this, more to come I promise!

For even more geekdom: teh geekery (Anyanka_was_framed, at your service!)

Taedius

Feb 23 2007, 2:17pm

Post #87 of 666 (164053 views)
Shortcut
Taedius is back... [In reply to] Can't Post

...allthough you are quite forgiven if you've forgotten my nick. Never posted much, and only sporadically. I'm a lurker.

Anyway, 32 years of age, location Norway. Read anything I come across regarding Tolkien and his authorship.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2007, 4:53pm

Post #88 of 666 (172258 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll still call you Hob occasionally [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you! Isn't this fun?

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 24 2007, 5:19am

Post #89 of 666 (172838 views)
Shortcut
Very cute!! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's such a cutie :) My pic. is old, too, now that I think about it. -- it's from last Easter. :)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 24 2007, 7:19pm

Post #90 of 666 (165254 views)
Shortcut
all righty then [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Annael, my real name is Jody, I read LOTR for the first time back in 1967 and have read it over 50 times since. I joined TORn in July of 1999 after I heard they were making a live-action film of the book and went searching on the internet for a site where I could find out more!

I live in one of three official "Victorian seaports" in the US, a little town full of wonderful old Victorian houses, artists, writers, and musicians. I am writer currently working on a book about the journey of the heroine as portrayed in literature and film. I am an avid outdoorsy type; in my basement you'll find both cross-country and downhill skis (I was a racer once), hiking and backpacking gear, a mountain bike, and a raft. I climbed Mount St. Helens years before it blew its top. I'm also a trained singer and sing in a select choir, occasionally with a solo. In my wild youth I sang backup in a rock-and-roll band.

I'm the one on the left:

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 9:35pm

Post #91 of 666 (169077 views)
Shortcut
Checking in from TN [In reply to] Can't Post

Just introducing myself and reassuring the Reading Room that I have registered and am diligently working on my discussion. I might need some help with linking the pictures though.

I joined TORn before the first movie came out after my brother, a movie nut, told me about the site. I usually check the front page for news and have stopped by the RR and Main off and on for the last several years. My mother read the now well-known Ace editions while I was in utero but I didn't read the books myself till the summer before the movies came out. And proceeded to kick myself for not reading them sooner. I have read The Sil and much of the HOME material. I have given talks on The Sil at Dragoncon and The Gathering of the Fellowship. Not because I'm any kind of scholar, I'm just one of those people who loves to talk. Sly I'm also active with the Eowyn Challenge though my progress has been very slow. I am a nurse in real life. I love hockey (go Preds) and fence (foil) at least once a week.

Now to figure out this picture thing...

Timbo_mbadil
Rivendell

Feb 24 2007, 10:26pm

Post #92 of 666 (170875 views)
Shortcut
Made it to the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

without having noticed this thread. Tstst.

I first came across Tolkien after seeing the Bakshi version at the age of – hm– about 11 or 12. I then got the book which kept me busy for a year or two (I never could accept it would end, so I'd start it over and over). When we moved to another country at the age of 15, it helped me get over the lonely first 6 months (until my dad bought me a moped and I finally could visit school mates).
I must have read it about 30+ times, but still can't get my head around it.

I saw the very first trailer (the one with music from – was it? – Gladiator), and thought, 'oh well, they're trying again' – but then I was a great PJ fan back then, and I have a university degree in media science with a grad paper on literary adaptations, so I figured it might be fun to watch FOTR.
It wasn't. I thought it was irrelevant.
I went again to watch it the next day, because if anything, any adapation of LOTR could *not* be irrelevant. I loved it then.
TOR.n happened by accident a few weeks later, I think I stumbled over it at work when I didn't have anything to do. Which happened a lot. I wonder why they closed the place down :-p

Apart from writing long, pointless posts about myself, I have remained a lousy guitar player for 30 odd years, like mostly dark, heavy music (with an occasionaI LedZep period), married the girl who would go to New Zealand with me after seeing TTT (where we met with NZStrider, Smokering, Eärwen, Telkemeniel who iirc couldn't make it, but it's a long time ago for an old geezer like me, and I still need to apologize, I was jetlagged *and* drunk, but I enjoyed the evening very much :) , and we have a wonderful almost 2 year old son who refuses to fall asleep.
And yes, the paper from OldTOR.n is still alive. It just smells funny. It doesn't, I just let it slumber for a bit.

Enough enough! I don't have even one presentable pic of myself.

Otherness represents that which bourgeois ideology cannot recognize or accept but must deal with (…)
Robin Wood 2003, p. 49. "Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan – and beyond". Columbia University Press, New York, Chichester, West Sussex.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2007, 11:15pm

Post #93 of 666 (170705 views)
Shortcut
Hi Saelind [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you here! We met in Toronto, in case you can't match my nick with me. I drove from Chicago with Nancy.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 5:42am

Post #94 of 666 (178121 views)
Shortcut
Hi back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I do remember you! Nice to see you again.

Meira

Feb 25 2007, 2:50pm

Post #95 of 666 (167975 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

My name is Meira and I come here from Finland. I have been lurking around for the past years, my more active posting days were from 2001 to 2003. I originally came here after I 'lost' the Council of Elrond site. (They moved when I lived in England and had only limited access to the internet.) I felt right at home and have never really left since.

To Tolkien and his work I was exposed as an infant; my father is a huge fan and started reading Hobbit to me when I was old enough (six years, if I recall correctly). He had been telling me the stories for years before that and even carved little wooden swords to me and my brother. He also took us to see a theatre version of LOTR around 1989, when I was ten. I finally read the books when I was twelve. I think I had put it off for so long because of the huge exposure I was getting - too often when something is hyped that much it ends up being really disappointing. I'm glad that LOTR proved to be an exception to that rule. :) Today Silmarillion is perhaps my favourite of Tolkien's published works.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2007, 4:13pm

Post #96 of 666 (170799 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back [In reply to] Can't Post

to a returning TORNado. Hope to see more of you around here.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 25 2007, 8:49pm

Post #97 of 666 (168830 views)
Shortcut
picture-linking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just introducing myself and reassuring the Reading Room that I have registered and am diligently working on my discussion. I might need some help with linking the pictures though.

If you do end up having trouble figuring out the picture-linking, please give a shout. Are you planning to copy images into something like a photobucket account or personal website, or linking directly to another website where they're available (e.g. War of the Ring)?

In any case, glad to see you made it over here.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 26 2007, 4:02pm

Post #98 of 666 (178233 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's nice to finally see you, Annael! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, you look nothing like the Annael in my head. I was actually expecting you to say you were the one one the right in that picture. Don't know why. But it's great to finally have a face to go with your nick!

Estelwyn
The Shire

Feb 27 2007, 8:18am

Post #99 of 666 (165404 views)
Shortcut
Hello from Down Under [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just made it here to these shiny new boards, and my, are they swish-lookin'. Kudos to all involved in their creation Heart

I'm Estelwyn, also known as 'Stel, or Susan in RL. I joined TORn just after ROTK was released and immediately wished I had joined sooner. I had a couple of years of being very obsessed with all things LOTR related a regular poster on TORn, and learned a lot. I particularly enjoyed the regular discussion threads. Haven't been very active for the last year or so (RL has gotten a bit too real!), but I hope to pop in here from time to time.

Oh, and I live in New Zealand. Lucky me!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2007, 10:41pm

Post #100 of 666 (185439 views)
Shortcut
Aloha Kâua! [In reply to] Can't Post

(See my footer for translation)

I live in Hawai‘i… for 20 years as of December 1, 2006. I am a grandmother. My granddaughter, Kapua, is turning fourteen on March 15, 2007. (I am one of those mold-breaking, get a head start, youthful grandmothers.) I grew up in Chicago, left at age 23 in 1976 (best decision I ever made). Lived in the Bay area for eleven years. My home of my heart is in Hawai‘i, I could never leave here.

I have two long-lost sisters that I reconnected with in 2002 after 47 years (2 weeks before my 50th birthday). One lives in Virginia, and the other lives in the Virginia Islands, on St Croix; and found an extended family I never knew existed. I grew up an only child of a single mom, most of those years (age 6 to 13) I lived in a Children's Home.

I belong to the local Tolkien Society smial: Tol Andúnë (“Island of the Setting sun”). I am an Artist and a classic film fan. I love movies all kinds, new, old, from art-house to big Hollywood productions (if well-done). I am a member of HIFF (Hawai‘i International Film Festival). Last Sunday, I went to an Oscar gala put on by HIFF, at the world-renown Halekulani.

I draw, make jewelry, and do sewing crafts (elegant book covers for Tolkien books are my specialty). I’m trained in graphic design; though I don’t do it accept for my own amusement like doing things in PhotoShop. I have art posted on the Fan Art board.

I post mainly in the Reading Room, tough I love the LotR movie, I am first a Tolkien book fan; I feel that is where I learn the most. On OT, I look for the thread, “what movie did you watch”, and Fiesta, when I get up early enough. I peek in occasionally on Movie and Main. I enjoy the new Fan Art board.

I first signed up when FotR was released, but did not stick around. I returned right after the TTT was released on DVD. I really wanted to talk about the film on the movie board, but found it a bit unfriendly to open discussion at the time, so I picked my threads. I stuck close to the Reading Room where open exchange of ideas flows freely. I had to stop cold-turkey in June of 2004, hanging out here took over my life. Finding balance is not one of my strengths. I peeked in over the holidays, being sick with not much to do. I saw the sign-up thread for the Art discussion and took the plunge.

Last Sunday, I went to a huge Oscar gala put on by HIFF, (Academy sanctioned) at the world renown Halekulani, 6-course gourmet food and red carpet. I even got an Oscar poster.

Sly

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Mar 2 2007, 10:47pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.