Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Renaissance Faire in Sterling Forest, NY - This Saturday!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2010, 12:37am

Post #1 of 11 (962 views)
Shortcut
Renaissance Faire in Sterling Forest, NY - This Saturday! Can't Post

Saturday the 18th, that is, and "Sterling Forest" is in Tuxedo Park, New York state! Would anyone like to join a few 'sibbies as we spend a day jostling with fair wenches and knights in armour at the annual Faire?

Some of us will be meeting around 9-9:30 for breakfast at a nearby diner. Silneldor, Mrs. Sil, and Master Strider will be there. As will I, thanks to my eldest being home and able to share the 3-hour drive; it will be her first Faire. Smeagirl, too, is expected! And Ethel Duath is bravely partaking in her first meet-up with "local" 'sibs (she may change that to "loco" after meeting us!). Laugh

And hopefully we'll meet up during the day with the talented greendragon and inimitable L. Ron Halfelven.

Costumes optional. Join us for some fun! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2010, 6:44pm

Post #2 of 11 (303 views)
Shortcut
What a great group! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please take some photos for the rest of us. E.D., most of the other TORnfolk are harmless Cool

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 16 2010, 6:51pm

Post #3 of 11 (297 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to seeing all you guys. Smile

Any other local TORnsibs, please do chime in and meet us! Some of my nicest memories are from RenFaire TORnmoots.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 16 2010, 10:03pm

Post #4 of 11 (307 views)
Shortcut
L.Ron and I definitely intend to join you good people... [In reply to] Can't Post

All being well and the fates allowing, we will be there around midday! Can't wait to catch up with everyone! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 17 2010, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 11 (383 views)
Shortcut
What a rowdy ruckus of an event aye! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bloody pirates and scallywags everywhere blimy.

Do they 'ave turkeys you think?

I'm goingSmile

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22 2010, 2:53am

Post #6 of 11 (316 views)
Shortcut
A faire report of the Faire from silneldor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Silneldor's computer is doing funky things with posting on the Internet, but he was able to email his write-up to me to post. Thanks so much, sil! I'll see if I can get my pics downloaded shortly to append to this.

This year at the Faire some wonderful things happened. It was a good day to start with no rain on the horizon. Dernwyn had a good run on the highway into Tuxedo with no traffic which surprised everyone. They had time to catch the farmer’s market even down the block at the train station before the three of us just on time landed at the diner. I finally got to meet her oldest daughter who had dwelled in Scotland at school.

We were expecting a new TORn member to be arriving shortly and we were concerned about her finding us but suddenly Ethel Duath stood smiling at the head of our table and we had a happy meeting. We proceeded to have breakfast with some of us having our usual; mushroom omelettes. Over coffee we had good conversation although the diner was alive with bustle with other arriving Faire go-ers.

But then it was time for me to meet Smeagirl, a couple of minutes hoof-it to the station. Now it is not easy to catch her you understand. She is a walker, and she is quick, so amidst all the people sauntering by, there will be one scooting along and I have to be quick to head her off Smile. We walked back to the diner to join the others so to ‘caravan’ our three cars up the mountain to the Faire.

As we entered the Faire there is the energy and excitement of it and it all seems new again. And thank ye kindly to the cell phone (not those funky ‘ol walkie-talkies) we were able to re-find each other lol, wandering off on some fascinations of own own. Not only that we were awaiting Greendragon and L Ron to arrive from their 3 ½ hour ride from the east.

The first event of note for us (others will ‘chime in’ with more events) was over to the Sherwood Forest Stage where we were enthralled with the Crimson Pirates. Actually I was miffed because I failed to capture a shot of them. But I took note, and made sure and got them at the Tudor Rose Stage at 3:30. So here are two shots of them. There was an individual too that played with them early on that was very good and here he is. We also saw this group right after and it is amazing the volume they were able to attain. What energy! They were called Wolgemut.

The next event where we all caught up was over to the Chess Board where the Sherriff’s Chess Match live with action. BUT first I wish to introduce you to a wonderful spirit there in the stands. Here is a happy Ethel Duath . Some of the grand action I caught was
here and here and here in their well choreographed action.

Afterwards I was able to catch (from top to bottom) Ethel Duath, dernwyn, Smealgirl and dernwyn’s oldest daughter.

From there I had to FLY! Across the grounds to meet Greendragon and L. Ron. It was just great to see them. As we were off to meet the others we stopped here to capture TWO greendragons and one L. Ron!.

Another event of the day was the Birds of Prey show that we captured from two different performances. Here is two shots of a Harris Hawk. This one was on the fly as he flew right by me giving me the eye on the way to his perch from the shed window. Here is also the Eurasian Eagle Owl. I will also include the Great Horned Owl here from another exhibit. Here is Ethel Duath and dernwyn’s daughter fascinated with the presentation. Both shots are off due to the netting.

{Oops - do you have the links to these pics handy, sil?}

We had a chance to gather for a picture so here we sat.

Here is a hilarious event. It is called the ‘Rotten Revenge’. It was one who, having a rapier wit of a most insulting ineffable manner inspires a lively retaliatory response from yon gallery.

We did get to see the Royal Joust but this year it was quite short.

On our way out we did get ALL together for one last shot at ANOTHER greendragon. This was the fifth take due to camera problems.The one shadow on the day was that Lossefalme and her family were not with us that day and in this picture.

We then made our way to the diner again for supper and it was not til after 9 o’clock that we parted with our good-byes. We dropped off Smeagirl at the train station there with a most lovely completely redone heated and secure waiting room complete with a large TV screen and bathrooms.

Then Greendragon, L. Ron and my family left for the pond where by chance we caught a moonlight boat ride across. The first order of business was to coax a lively fire in the woodstove to take the chill away. There was the ‘grand’ (5min tour) and then we sat and talked til 12:45 A.M. when we all turned in for quiet night and much needed sleep.

In the morning there were mrs’s sil’s fruit salad and my mushroom and cheese omelet’s with coffee and tea. It was quite a nice morning. We sat on the dock of a calm sunny day and soaked up the warmth. So much so we all decided to jump into the 70 degree water to refresh ourselves. And who you may ask, was the first one in the water? It was our adventurous and undaunted Greendragon who displayed a deft, smooth and fast moving breast stroke. We did then get L. Ron in too. I will say these two are real gamers Smile. We spent some real time in the water too, and laying on the raft too of course.

We then decided to hit the mountain so we could visit Amon Hen and see what the pond held that day. Here in the wild wood is a shot of a Fair Lady with three vigilant rangers at her side. Master strider (my son) who took the shot was the third. Lastly was this shot. It was taken by mrs. sil from a boat looking up from the water to where we were 75-100 ft up on the cliff. Of course we four had to ham it up.

After a tranquil time there we headed down for supper and coffee/tea. It was not until 6PM that we said our goodbyes after a boat ride around the lake.

Reveling on the day, and the day before I feel extremely fortunate to have such wonderful friends as these. I could do no better. TORnsibs are the best, Smile naturally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 22 2010, 12:30pm

Post #7 of 11 (306 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful report! Almost like being there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you got to meet Ethel Duath. I enjoyed meeting her so much when she was here, especially the unexpected meeting on the mountain :-)

Looks like you had a wonderful time, but then that's what I would have expected, with such an excellent and admirable fellowship. Thanks for the report!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 22 2010, 1:43pm

Post #8 of 11 (367 views)
Shortcut
Hey all those boids look the same don'tcha know [In reply to] Can't Post

UnimpressedEvilBlush

Ok, here is that huge Eurasion Eagle Owl that everyone fascinated over. And that includes both Ethel Duath and dernwyn's daughter.

And i should include also these two very colorful parrots from the netted parrot enclosure.

And thank you dernwyn. This computer is total exasperation on long work. You never know when it is going to go south.and lose everything.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 22 2010, 6:22pm

Post #9 of 11 (281 views)
Shortcut
Great pic of that gorgeous owl! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for a wonderful report Sil - and for an AMAZING weekend. What hosts you, Mrs Sil and Master Sil are. As L.Ron said, 'Nicer folks than these you will rarely meet...' We had such a fantastic time at the Faire - wonderful to see everyone - and then after at your wonderful dwelling. I LOVE the photo of us all up on Amon Hen! Smile

TORnsibs really are excellent and admirable folk. Any chance to get together with them is an opportunity to be seized. I count myself lucky at having attended many wonderful moots - and last weekend ranks right up there amongst the very best! Heart

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 22 2010, 7:10pm

Post #10 of 11 (290 views)
Shortcut
Great report and pics! And what a great moot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all of that, Sil. Smile

>She is a walker, and she is quick<
LOL, true. I did think I was meeting you at the diner though, and didn't want to keep you waiting. It was a nice surprise to see you at the station.

Meanwhile Sil had with him three different shirts, and kept changing, so he was not an easy one to spot in a crowd either. LaughLaughLaugh

If anyone wants to check out the musicians Sil mentions (which you should 'cause they're great), here are the official websites:
Crimson Pirates
Wolgemut
Henry Martin

And this is the entity that put on the Birds of Prey show: Earthquest.

>it was not til after 9 o’clock that we parted with our good-byes. We dropped off Smeagirl at the train station there<
You didn't mention . . . there was a long wait in between trains, so we were thinking of trying to find another station . . . but spent so long debating it, as well as just chit-chatting, that the originally "too late" train worked out just fine. Sly

Not much else to add, except that it was great seeing all of you. Thank you to Ethel Duath for driving me between the diner and the Faire, and to Sil for the archery tips. Dernwyn's daughter's costume was impressive and authentic. I'm so happy that Greendragon and L. Ron got to join us and then visit Sil's place!

This is a nice tradition, this Ren Faire Moot. Smile Heart Smile Heart Smile

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 23 2010, 2:15pm

Post #11 of 11 (428 views)
Shortcut
Mootopia! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best times I ever had (2nd moot, 1st Ren. Faire). But next time I'm bringing my "photo-alert" microchip with me. Wink

Thanks to Lord and Lady Sineldor, their fabulous son, Squire Sineldor and his friend, Dernwyn the Gentle and her daughter Eowyn II, Lord L. Ron and Lady Greendragon the Cheerful(s), and last but never least, Smeagirl the Thoughtful.

The Ten Walkers. Cool

Can't wait for next year!

Ethel D.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.