Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Refugee Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 9 2010, 3:34pm

Post #1 of 7 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Refugee Costume? Can't Post

This costume consists of two parts. A blue-grey underdress and a brown overdress.

The underdress is probably silk, but I can't be sure. It has a crinkled texture and gold embroidery at least on the sleeves and neck. The skirt of the dress looks smooth and unembroidered, though. It has long sleeves that can be tied tight at the wrists and there's matching cording tying the upper arms tight. That upper cording comes and goes throughout the movie.

You can see she wears brown leggings and tall brown boots underneath.

The embroidery pattern is called a feather stitch. I don't know if the fabric came this way or if it was added by production. After staring at it for far too long, I think there's a definite repeating pattern to the embroidery.

Ignore the gold spirals on the brown part here, that's the corset from her 'Shieldmaiden' dress.

The jumper is a brown linen with open, scalloped sides that lace tight. It has little cap sleeves (those little extra flaps on the shoulders) and a bit of leather braiding around the neck. The overdress is actually on backward in these first three pics, but it's almost exactly the same front to back except that there's a seam down the middle of the back.

For more details and pics, check out the Costumer's Guide. Wanna see my version of this costume? I've got a post over on Fan Art with pictures.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running discussion series taking a look at some of the detail in LOTR one costume at a time. It follows no particular order and appears on no particular day. Look for it when you see it. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Sep 9 2010, 3:35pm)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2010, 6:16pm

Post #2 of 7 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That dress has lots of detail that you can't see in the movie. It is amazing how much work was put into these movies that can't be seen on screen.

Thank you for the breakdown. You can see she is upper class when you get close enough to see the detail. I do love Eowyn's clothes.

I went and looked at the pictures of your costume! VERY NICE!! One would expect to see you standing in the hall at Edoras rather than a hall at Dragon Con.

Elven
Valinor

Sep 12 2010, 12:17am

Post #3 of 7 (1947 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the gold embroidery on either garment - Though I love the cut of both the undershirt and the over dress - they're so simple, yet so effective. Maybe its the colour of them too - the brown colour of the over dress makes it seem a little more 'serious' - like a camoflage outfit.
Very nice.
Thank-you Arwens Daughter Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 14 2010, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 7 (1883 views)
Shortcut
What is the purpose of such a dress? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it to keep her main dress clean while she works? Is this her usual riding outfit? How often would the Shieldmaiden of Rohan be doing manual work that requires her to protect her clothing?

This overdress just seems a bit ... rough, for a King's niece. Or would royalty still need to work as hard as everyone else in Rohan?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 16 2010, 1:12am

Post #5 of 7 (1817 views)
Shortcut
if they had had papparazzi around back then... [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn might have shown up wearing this on one of those "what were they thinking" lists that I see on Yahoo now and then where the poor clothing choices of celebrities are highlighted..

(Not that I ever read those lists, mind you, Smile...well at least not all the time!)

I agree the outfit is a bit "rough" -- maybe it's the Rohan equivalent of "casual Friday" attire...

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 16 2010, 1:15am

Post #6 of 7 (1821 views)
Shortcut
looks more comfortable than her usual garb... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked this jumper kind of design -- a lot more practical than that white floor length gown!

I admire the work you put into your own version of this -- thanks for sharing your photos (you look great!)....lots and lots of interesting details on this one, pretty amazing!

Weaver

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 16 2010, 4:40am

Post #7 of 7 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

ever pet a horse...and pull back a hand caked with dirt you hadn't noticed on the beast? Ride all day in your nice dress, and look like you've been rolling in the fields among the horses outside a thatched barn...or wear 'dirt brown' over it. ;)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.