Unofficial TORn kinship on Landy
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Taliesin
The Shire

Sep 8 2010, 10:43pm

Post #1 of 40 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Unofficial TORn kinship on Landy Can't Post

I'm making a new post so we don't continue the hijacking of the quest halp post. :)
So what toons do we want to make? I've primarily played Minstrel, Loremaster and Runekeeper, so that is what I feel most comfortable playing. What about the rest of you?

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 8 2010, 11:05pm

Post #2 of 40 (3538 views)
Shortcut
I've chartered a Kinship! [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Sibs of TORn" is up and running, but as of yesterday grossly under-populated. If you enjoy the squishy healer types, by all means roll them again. My main on Nimrodel is a minny. On the other hand, this would be a good time to try something new, too. I've started a few new toons that I haven't played much, just to get the feel for them as we level. I find it's very beneficial to group play if most know what each of the other classes are capable of, if you follow me. Anyway, look me up for an invite! I'll be posting a "new-to-LOTRO" thread Friday to hopefully direct new players to Landy, if they so choose.

Legalize: Guardian
Criminalize: Rune-keeper
Plagiarize: Warden
Atomize: Hunter
Energize: Lore-master
Oratorize: Captain
Sanitize: Minstrel

LOTRO Free-to-Play starts September 10th. You know you want to try it.

Check out "The Sibs of TORn" on Landroval server!

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 9 2010, 4:21am

Post #3 of 40 (3473 views)
Shortcut
Landroval role-play? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I think I noticed in another post that Landroval is a RP server. I plan on signing up for LOTRO Friday and I was kinda leaning towards starting on Landroval, since there are some people on these boards who play on that server. It's as good a place to start as any, right?

My question is, how serious is the roleplaying on this server? Judging from my perusal of the LOTRO website, it seems that character names are expected to be, for lack of a better word, "serious". Any word on that?
Also, I've played on RP servers in past MMOs that I have played, and the roleplay was not taken seriously at all. What I'm getting at is, basically: are players on this server expected to be "in character" or can you just say whatever you want?

Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to Friday!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2010, 5:25am

Post #4 of 40 (3432 views)
Shortcut
Hi there... [In reply to] Can't Post

The role-play on Landroval varies.... from extremely serious to almost none at all...just depends on who you run into and what you level you are comfortable with.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2010, 5:30am

Post #5 of 40 (3472 views)
Shortcut
It's about 1:30 am [In reply to] Can't Post

here, eastern, and I just tried loading up the game and it won't load! Apparently its supposed to be down between 7-9:00 am, but it seems to be having trouble now. Even the website has changed and appears very sluggish. Anyway, all my characters are on Landroval and will be joining the Kinship as soon as I'm able....they are:

Donry: Guardian
Donsc: Guardian
Donche: Guardian
Crahorin: Guardin
Dorhorin: Champion
Ralthal: Hunter
Thurinaborn: Captain

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 9 2010, 6:47am

Post #6 of 40 (3546 views)
Shortcut
Gee, Donry, why don't you try a Guardian next time? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I think I already have a few toons started on Landroval, but I don't begin to remember what they are. I'll figure it out and get them hooked up with the kin the next few days, though.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 9 2010, 1:39pm

Post #7 of 40 (3451 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure how RP works in other games [In reply to] Can't Post

but in LOTRO you can toggle RP on and off. The RP toon names appear white, and yes, I would assume the names would be somewhat serious. Those that do RP on Landy take it very seriously, but as Donry said, some dabble, while others (such as myself) make up ridiculous toon names and keep RP toggled "off" at all times.

In other words, no matter what your character is called you can choose when and where you RP. Turn on RP and be in character ((or risk getting yelled at Out Of Character via double parenthesis)) or keep RP off and say whatever you want.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2010, 4:01pm

Post #8 of 40 (3537 views)
Shortcut
I know, I know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that Guardian class. It's my first RPG and I studied them a bit before starting, and well.....I liked it....And Hobbits are so limited in what they can be....I didn't see 'my' Hobbits being anything else. I think its just the perfect class for a Dwarf also....to me it just screams Dwarf!
Anyway....I have more than I need most likely.....and even though I don't play a lot of group stuff (extremely little so far...insert Dwarf/Hobbit joke here), the Guardians are apparently in demand? Guess no one wants to be a tank!

Taliesin
The Shire

Sep 9 2010, 10:09pm

Post #9 of 40 (3471 views)
Shortcut
Toons made! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the following toons on Landy. (I re-rolled)
Talaseth - Minstrel
Aranya - Rune-Keeper
Celwin- Lore-Master

I have a raid tonight, but will hop on either before or after and add you guys.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 9 2010, 10:33pm

Post #10 of 40 (3503 views)
Shortcut
Cool, we'll try and congregate after your raid. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2010, 2:21am

Post #11 of 40 (3506 views)
Shortcut
Cool.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to be at work until about midnight eastern....so I'll hopefully be logging on just after 1:00 am. If I miss you guys, I'll try to hook up again some other time....Friday around the same time for me...I'm away this Saturday/Sunday to my cottage....might be able to squeeze on early Saturday morning or later Sunday evening/late afternoon too....who knows!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2010, 3:24pm

Post #12 of 40 (3400 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The kinship is underway....please, anyone feel free to join us all on Landroval. And we'll be up for some fun!

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 11 2010, 12:59pm

Post #13 of 40 (3421 views)
Shortcut
So, finally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got everything squared away to start my adventures in Middle Earth this afternoon, after I get off of work. I had some serious problems yesterday with downloading and creating a Turbine account. So bad, in fact, that I very nearly threw up my hands in defeat and uninstalled. I finally did end up having to uninstall the game and download it again and I contacted Customer Support and got them to email me a key so that I could finish creating my account (believe me, I tried every other way). The person I talked to in Customer Support told me that, due to the game going F2P, that there was an extremely high volume of traffic on the LoTRO site, which was causing some serious issues.

Thankfully, I got everything done and plan on making my char this afternoon. I'm leaning towards an Elf hunter, but nothing is certain.

Btw, thanks for the replies to my questions about the RP on the Landroval server. Looking forward to seeing everyone ingame.

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2010, 4:49pm

Post #14 of 40 (3436 views)
Shortcut
When [In reply to] Can't Post

I first downloaded the game it took almost 24 hours to get all the updates and stuff downloaded. Was very frustrating, but for me, well worth it. Welcome to the game! I hope it fulfills some 'Tolkien void' for you as it has for me! I will try to get on this afternoon (Saturday) but its not looking promising....domesitc things to do (groceries...whatever!) around here that don't get done during the week. My only elf is a hunter....just seemed to be the right class for an elf, it is (I think???) the most proficient class with a bow and arrow. It just seems to 'fit' the elf it seems! I think my elf hunter is at level 16 now? Anyway looking forward to getting online with you all and either trapsing around M-E or chatting over a pint or two in a pub.....
And if you would like to have someone run through a few things with you, just ask. Legalize and Rosie are absolutely great, and I can help with some things as well.

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Sep 11 2010, 11:14pm

Post #15 of 40 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

There goes my elven minstrel on the Crickhollow server. Ah, who am I kidding? I'd love to join the Landroval server and the TORn kinship there. I'll bet no one there has the name BirthBySleep. Just tell me who to talk to to join.

I have no personality whatsoever. Cower before my blandness!

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 12 2010, 1:35am

Post #16 of 40 (3415 views)
Shortcut
Woot. [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to completely abandon Crickhollow, but look up Donry or Legalize on Landy if you're interested.

I imagine we'll get more inclusions to the kinship as F2P picks up.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2010, 6:15am

Post #17 of 40 (3426 views)
Shortcut
I may wait a few days before I venture onto Landroval... [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to do a couple quests on Brandywine this evening, and I got booted clean out once and temporary lost my connection to the server at least a half dozen other times. All with the space of 90 minutes. Crazy

And some genius at Turbine apparently thought that today would be a good day to have the website and forums offline for "routine maintenance." Unimpressed

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 12 2010, 11:17am

Post #18 of 40 (3372 views)
Shortcut
Definitely.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....some problems with the server yesterday. I experienced the worst lag I have ever had in a MMO. Fortunately for Turbine, instead of quitting immediately I tried talking to some people who had been playing for awhile and they said that the server problems were abnormal.

Besides that, I don't like the idea that you can, basically, buy yourself ahead in the game via the LOTRO store. I realize that Turbine is a business and that f2p is a marketing strategy (as opposed to a charity), but I think I would prefer a subscription service where everyone pays and has the same experience and has to go through the same trouble of leveling up or getting new skills or equipment.

On a positive note, the game looks great. The graphics look good, the colors look great, and the "mapping" is actually pretty fluid (when it's not lagging like a mug). I like the look of the game. I like the way the clothes and equipment look on my character.

Plus the experience of adventuring in Tolkien's Middle Earth is extremely satisfying, which is the absolute main reason I'm playing the game.

Anyways, I'd love to hook up with a guild from here (or kinship as they're called in lotro). I made it to level 10 yesterday. My character is an Elf Hunter named Lobolan. So add me up if you catch me online. I'm still trying to get over the learning curve so if I don't respond it's probably because I'm running around in circles while trying to type in the message box.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2010, 3:49pm

Post #19 of 40 (3370 views)
Shortcut
Buying yourself ahead. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't looked at everything in the store, but what I've read said that you can't buy anything game-changing.

In other words, you still have to do the quests yourself.

I think I also read that you can't buy "equipment" at the store, either. The only items like that they'll have are cosmetic outfits that look cool but don't add any armor value or anything like that.

You can buy temporary buffs that will make grinding traits quicker and that sort of thing, but I think that's okay because I've never understood why spending ten hours killing 87 gazillion trolls just to increase my stats is supposed to add to my "fun" experience. And that's why I play, because it's fun.

Anyway, I hope things will settle down soon. I personally believe they should have locked the three busiest servers and directed the new folks to the less populated ones, because this lag issue happens every time they have an event that brings a lot of people in. If people wanted to hook up with already existing players on those servers, they could have the players sponsor them.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Sep 12 2010, 3:52pm)

13thHour
Rivendell

Sep 12 2010, 5:45pm

Post #20 of 40 (3367 views)
Shortcut
Is my noobishness showing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I also read that you can't buy "equipment" at the store, either. The only items like that they'll have are cosmetic outfits that look cool but don't add any armor value or anything like that.

Ok, I guess maybe the stuff I saw were costumes or something. I'm just not used to a game where you can have different "outfits" for different occasions (although I very much like the idea).

You can buy temporary buffs that will make grinding traits quicker and that sort of thing, but I think that's okay because I've never understood why spending ten hours killing 87 gazillion trolls just to increase my stats is supposed to add to my "fun" experience. And that's why I play, because it's fun.

It's no secret that the reason WoW is so popular is b/c, unlike EverQuest or some of the older MMOs like Ultima, it's easy. You level up quick, which means you get cool looking armor and weapons faster, and we all know that half the fun of playing an MMO is getting your char to look cool (something lotro has tapped into with the "outfits" option mentioned above). I think that I just like the idea of knowing that everyone who is my level had to go through the same (sometimes arduous) task of getting there. It doesn't have to be hard, LOTRO could just take a cue from WoW and make leveling up easier by reducing the amount of grinding required. I guess I just don't like thinking that, while I'm grinding it out and doing all the quests, there's someone somewhere with a ton of disposable income who can just blow by me by buying some "level fast potion" or whatever.

Anyway, I hope things will settle down soon. I personally believe they should have locked the three busiest servers and directed the new folks to the less populated ones, because this lag issue happens every time they have an event that brings a lot of people in. If people wanted to hook up with already existing players on those servers, they could have the players sponsor them.

I agree wholeheartedly. If some of the noobs, such as myself, were sponsored by someone already on a heavily-populated server it would cut down on the lag b/c more people would be directed to the less-populated servers. Or perhaps LoTRO could offer some kind of incentive to move to a less-populated server. Other MMOs have certainly done that in the past, and it has worked great, with sometimes entire guilds/kinships changing servers.
As a side note to this discussion, I'm not sure but I think that when I was prompted to choose a server that I wasn't told which servers were the most crowded. I also think that they might should tell new players which servers are considered to be RP servers, even if they are "unofficial". I saw more than one noob get flamed hard for having some stupid "OOC" name and they promptly quit the game, presumably never to return.

Aaaanyway, I like the game quite a bit and think I'll stick around. No game is perfect (which is why LoTRO is the only MMO I'm playing right now), and it can't be held up to any sort of perfect standard, because what is perfect to me is really just my opinion.

Btw, invite me to that daggum TORn kinship, somebody!!! (Char name: Lobolan) Smile

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 12 2010, 6:15pm

Post #21 of 40 (3355 views)
Shortcut
I had guessed it would be a rough weekend all around. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was lag/rubber-banding/boots going on in Nimrodel Saturday night too. The good news is that Turbine really hasn't had huge issues with lag in the past, and it really shouldn't get any worse than it was this weekend.

I'm on Landroval this afternoon. There have been a few spikes here and there, but nothing to write home about. Although being a lowbie with no major raids going on helps my stress levels, I'm sure.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 12 2010, 6:24pm

Post #22 of 40 (3387 views)
Shortcut
Some more info on Servers [In reply to] Can't Post

can be found here. Turbine hasn't provided any official information on server population or "unofficial" status.

I've had to wait in a queue to get into Landy recently - my highest "spot" was 41, and it took no longer than 2-3 minutes to get into the game.

Like you said, no game is perfect. And I'm totally with you - I play the game to experience Tolkien in a way I never thought I'd be able to. Books are tops, but the movies and LOTRO are icing on the cake.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2010, 8:48pm

Post #23 of 40 (3352 views)
Shortcut
I've been playing nearly a year and a half. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I still consider myself a noob. Laugh

They have been working on streamlining the quests, making them more solo-friendly and balancing the difficulty of various area so that you can level faster. The entire Volume I epic quest line is now completely solo-able. (Some parts are still tedious, but at least you don't have to try and find a group to help you anymore.)

I've never found the quests themselves particularly grindy, though. Maybe that's just because I have no experience with other MMOs, so I don't have any frame of reference for comparison.

But I also have never understood the rush to level up and get to endgame. To me, the journey is the important thing, not the destination. A friend told me the other day that she'd probably be one of the ones spending money buying buffs and things from the store, because "her time is important."

Time? WTH? This is a game. If you're time is that important, why are you playing games at all?

Anyway, rest assured, there is no "level-fast" potion. And the people who chew other players out because they don't like their OOC names need to mind their own business. Some names are trashy and crude, and those can be reported to the game people to be taken care of. Otherwise, it's not anyone else's concern. IMNSHO...

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Sep 12 2010, 8:50pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2010, 8:50pm

Post #24 of 40 (3527 views)
Shortcut
Lag has always been an issue on Brandywine. [In reply to] Can't Post

But maybe now they'll have the ability to really upgrade and smooth things out for everyone. I hope...

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Sep 13 2010, 3:20pm

Post #25 of 40 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Made a toon on Landy. [In reply to] Can't Post

A female elf minny named Hanniel, in case you want to add me as soon as I'm past the intro.

I have no personality whatsoever. Cower before my blandness!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.