Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
7.4 magnitude quake hits off Christchurch, New Zealand...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 8:20am

Post #151 of 196 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the continuing updates. [In reply to] Can't Post

We're all keeping you and all our Canterbury TORnsibs in our thoughts through all this.

You're really having a tough time with all those aftershocks. I remember having some after the bigger quakes we had in CA (you probably do, too -- were you around for the Northridge quake? But I don't remember nearly so many that were seriously felt, mostly just minor jiggles. The fact that it seems to be a new fault may be the difference. In any case, i hope things settle down soon!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2010, 8:35am

Post #152 of 196 (1285 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't there [In reply to] Can't Post

for the Northridge quake; I moved to CA in 2002, so I missed that one.

It's the aftershocks over about 5.0 that are really unnerving, and still causing further damage to already-weakened structures, or making things fall off shelves some more. Unsettlingly, they're still telling us that the biggest aftershock could well be yet to come. They say of the 284+ that we've had so far, we've probably felt about 150. I think they're more unnerving at night, since that's when the main quake hit, and the memory of being woken up that way from a sound sleep (and in our case, trying to dash out of a wildly rocking house carrying two boys in pitch-black darkness) is something I'm sure none of us will ever forget. It does make relaxing rather a challenge. Poor little NZ Toddler keeps coming up to me whimpering "I want up you, Mommy!" for me to pick him up. We'll get through this, and I know the worst is over, but there are a fair number of homeless people now who have a lot of recovery ahead of them.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 9:30am

Post #153 of 196 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Get some food into you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am wondering if you live alone, and, if so, are you okay? I am fiercely independent and live by myself, but I need to be in company at the moment and staying with my friends is keeping me sane.
I hope you have someone with you. Please keep in touch. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 9:34am

Post #154 of 196 (1028 views)
Shortcut
As well as anyone else I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel exhausted, and frightened at times. We have been trying to do some normal things, like taking the dog for a walk.
I was relieved when I went home today to see both cats quickly turning up and demanding food.
I hope your cat comes back soon.

It must be so weird for you to be going to work.
It is really only now starting to sink in for me how much my beloved central city has changed forever. Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 9:38am

Post #155 of 196 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Nothing could have prepared me [In reply to] Can't Post

for the experience of these aftershocks. I have always considered myself well informed and reasonably well prepared for the big one. I knew that there would be aftershocks and that they could go on for some time, but this experience is very difficult to describe.
The whole city is being repeatedly traumatised but somehow we are getting through it.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 9:40am

Post #156 of 196 (1130 views)
Shortcut
My problem will be [In reply to] Can't Post

eating too much. Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 9:43am

Post #157 of 196 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I am trying to prepare myself [In reply to] Can't Post

for when we have to go back to school. I am starting to wonder how many parents will even want to send their children to school after what has happened. I can understand if you want to hold on tight to your children.

Take care x

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2010, 10:13am

Post #158 of 196 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Not "forever"... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be different, but I think eventually it will be restored as much as can be; it seems like you have some good folks in charge!

Just think of the Shire, after the Scouring: it will never be the way it was before, but it'll be close - and in some ways, maybe parts of it might even be better! Smile

It will just take time, and willing hands...

{{hugs!}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2010, 10:14am

Post #159 of 196 (1617 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Thanks, Kel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Pioneer
Rivendell

Sep 8 2010, 12:42pm

Post #160 of 196 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Cartoon World. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am wondering if you live alone, and, if so, are you okay? I am fiercely independent and live by myself, but I need to be in company at the moment and staying with my friends is keeping me sane.
I hope you have someone with you. Please keep in touch. Smile

I assume you're talking to me because you mentioned food. I have one flatmate - we're okay, thanks. Though I don't really know anyone else here in Christchurch coz I only moved here in February. Yeah, so I decided to move here for the hell of it & it ends up falling down around my ears - great timing, aye.

Coincidentally I lived through the Auckland Central power crisis of 1998, so in a weird kind of way I'm used to living in a cartoon world.

Nick Frost for Bombur

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 3:04pm

Post #161 of 196 (1029 views)
Shortcut
I so wish there was something I could do to help [In reply to] Can't Post

other than sit here halfway around the world and send healing thoughts toward you all! Take care, Ro and NZS and the children, Starling, Nienna, Nimloth, Pioneer -- and everyone else I'm not naming here. We're thinking of you.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2010, 4:50pm

Post #162 of 196 (1491 views)
Shortcut
"... but no-one has lost someone..." [In reply to] Can't Post

So well said... but the heartache of not knowing, or seeing what has been lost is such a silent torture. I hope your home is standing, whole, salvagable, and just waiting for you to come back :)

The Stone Giants aren't done shaking things up, it appears. Prayers that they sleep now and forever.

Hang in there!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2010, 7:31pm

Post #163 of 196 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Glad Mo and Toots are ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Though they must be wondering what on earth is going on. Hope Nienna's cat turns up again soon!

You do seem to be coping with this really well, I would be a complete wreck in your shoes. Thanks for all the updates, it's good to know you are safe.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 8:38pm

Post #164 of 196 (996 views)
Shortcut
It sure is [In reply to] Can't Post

What a bizarre time. It's good to hear you have a flatmate and you can keep eachother company.

Welcome to Christchurch. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 8:43pm

Post #165 of 196 (1158 views)
Shortcut
You are helping [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing that people on the other side of the world are thinking of us is very comforting.
Coming here each day is just one of the 'normal' things that helps me get through.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 8:48pm

Post #166 of 196 (1239 views)
Shortcut
I am amazed by how well they are coping [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as I arrive, they are there demanding their food. Toots looks rather bug-eyed, but she is eating and sticking around.
I know Mo is okay because the first thing she did was bash up Midgey!
There are a lot of traumatised pets around. Yesterday I met a woman whose dog is on valium. It hasn't eaten since the quake and is highly stressed. This is becoming more and more common.
So mine are all coping extremely well, given the circumstances.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 8 2010, 8:54pm

Post #167 of 196 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Heritage buidlings [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are the ones I am sad about. The extent of the damage is still not fully apparent, and some of our treasured buildings which coped fairly well with the initial shakes, have sustained further damage in the aftershocks and have to be reassessed.

It is hard to get your head around the extent of this for our city. Last I heard, 6 out of 10 homes need repairs. The standard greeting seems to have become, "How's your house?". Where I am staying, if you walk down the street there is minimal obvious damage, yet we have already talked to four families whose houses will be condemned.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. It does really help to know people haven't forgotten about us.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2010, 9:01pm

Post #168 of 196 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Those buildings really set Christchurch apart for us [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't really see architecture like it anywhere else in NZ, so Christchurch really reminded us a little of home. It will be sad to lose them, I hope some are able to be restored.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Sep 9 2010, 3:24am

Post #169 of 196 (1461 views)
Shortcut
You are not forgotten [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor will you be! New Zealand has earned a piece of our hearts so we're behind you 100%. HUGS and hopes these aftershocks settle down and your homes aren't as badly damaged as it seems.

Perhaps the students who need textbooks could manage with computers? E-readers can hold all manner of books and if there is aid coming, that might be an answer. Even our schools have managed to get new iPads for all incoming freshmen as they were cheaper than buying new books every year.

All the best. And special hugs to NZ toddler.

Pioneer
Rivendell

Sep 9 2010, 8:11am

Post #170 of 196 (979 views)
Shortcut
Sleep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had a big 12-hour sleep - so I feel much better.

Thanks for the welcome wagon, Starling, even though the wheels have come off.

Nick Frost for Bombur

Nienna
Rohan

Sep 9 2010, 8:25am

Post #171 of 196 (991 views)
Shortcut
Sammy's home [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jazmine

It looks as though Sammy (the cat) has finally realised that it isn't a lot safer outside than it is inside. When there's been a bad tremor during the day I do have to go looking for him outside but now I've find his hiding place so I know where to look for him and I can eventually coax him back into the house.

We haven't had any huge tremors today and I went out to dinner with a friend. It was difficult deciding where we'd go for dinner as a lot of the places we usually go to are closed.

I hope things are going well for the two of you.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 9 2010, 8:50am

Post #172 of 196 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations [In reply to] Can't Post

A 12 hour sleep is a major achievement. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 9 2010, 8:57am

Post #173 of 196 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Go Sammy! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are all becoming earthquake experts, including the cats.
Take care x

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2010, 10:07am

Post #174 of 196 (1195 views)
Shortcut
That's good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

and to know that Sammy's nearby when he's outside - and you know where he is! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2010, 10:14am

Post #175 of 196 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Lots of hugs... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the boys, Ro!

This is turning out to be more massive than anyone thought it would be...

Were you able to get back to your area? What happened with the tadpoles?

That picture of the stacks collapsed in the library is a book-keeper's nightmare. I wonder if they'd consider letting a team of students in, to help re-organize?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.