Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Martin Freeman turns down seven figures to play Bilbo
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 1:34am

Post #1 of 84 (2945 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman turns down seven figures to play Bilbo Can't Post

I don't know how reliable this source is but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/...-to-hobbit-role.html

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Sep 7 2010, 1:35am)

duats
Grey Havens

Sep 7 2010, 2:37am

Post #2 of 84 (1453 views)
Shortcut
That's too bad if true [In reply to] Can't Post

Scratch one off my list.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Sep 7 2010, 2:41am

Post #3 of 84 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Definitely worth the question marks [In reply to] Can't Post

that TORN (and I) used in reporting this information from "a source." Why would MGM be offering this role to anyone? New Line, Warner Bros., Peter J., maybe, but MGM? Plus Martin Freeman plays Watson, not Holmes, as the Sun's headline would have it. I await further, more concrete information.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 2:41am

Post #4 of 84 (1493 views)
Shortcut
While disappointing for Freeman fans... [In reply to] Can't Post

if true it is encouraging that casting of THE character is underway.Smile

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 2:44am

Post #5 of 84 (1442 views)
Shortcut
You never know with The Sun [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sun has reported other headlines that have fallen flat in the past so you never know. The Sun is very much a tabloid....however....not sure if this story would come up if there was not a grain of truth to it even if the particulars are off. IF true, then there must be a greenlight under wraps. It will likely be shot down soon if untrue.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 7 2010, 2:46am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 2:46am

Post #6 of 84 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Agreed everyone... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I've said... I don't know the reliability if the source. Just saw it and thought it interesting and that the Ringers should know.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 2:49am

Post #7 of 84 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

The info is very much newsworthy. I wonder why Freeman would say anything....even when turning down...I am sure there is some kind of agreement.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2010, 3:00am

Post #8 of 84 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Urgh [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman would have been awesome. If this is true I'm both sad and happy. Happy that things are proceeding. I'm a bit confused I thought they couldn't really offer contracts (money) until there was a green light. But what do I know.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Tim: Follow. But. Follow only if ye be TORNsibs of valour, for the making of The Hobbit is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no TORNsib yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of an A List veteran director lie strewn about its lair. So, brave TORNsibs, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for Hollywood studio bureaucratic ineptitude awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Studio Exec: And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
Studio CEO: This new learning amazes me, Studio Lapdog. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

carnivorousrabbit
The Shire

Sep 7 2010, 3:31am

Post #9 of 84 (1394 views)
Shortcut
That's depressing [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really hoping that he would get the role. He is Bilbo to me. Always will be even though he turned the role.

Hopefully there is another perfect Bilbo somewhere out there; undiscovered.

Many a FALSE STEP is made by STANDING STILL.

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 7 2010, 4:01am

Post #10 of 84 (1355 views)
Shortcut
GAAAH. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was counting on him. Damn it! Mad

Nimloth
Lorien

Sep 7 2010, 4:12am

Post #11 of 84 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought he had the perfect Bilbo look.

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 7 2010, 4:15am

Post #12 of 84 (1400 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is The Sun we're talking about...I'm a Yank and even I know their, uh, reputation as a sterling information source.Tongue And yeah, it begs the question...Like Kristen said, WB is doing the bulk of the production, no? Why would MGM be in charge of anything at this point, let alone casting? And with no greenlight? I'm with you all. Awaiting further info from more reliable, uh, sources. Smile

Bond-Of-Blood
Rivendell

Sep 7 2010, 6:21am

Post #13 of 84 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Not true... so stop worrying! Martin could still be in contention. [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM isnt handling the casting and a seven figure fee is highly unlikely (unless its in New Zealand dollars!) as they are on a tight-ish budget... hence the reasons that we unknown actors are getting a shot at main characters.

FYI: Sean only got paid USD $250k in TOTAL for three films as Sam in LOTR and Billy has also gone on record to say that it was long hours and poor pay.

Personally though I dont think Martin will be cast as Bilbo anyway but if he is he will have until January 2011 to make himself available, so plenty of time to wrap up his existing commitments.

In Reply To
I don't know how reliable this source is but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/...-to-hobbit-role.html

(This post was edited by Bond-Of-Blood on Sep 7 2010, 6:29am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 7 2010, 6:23am

Post #14 of 84 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Thanks BoB// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

TORnado Babies 2009~TORnado Babies 2010~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Galadriel's ring
Rivendell

Sep 7 2010, 6:28am

Post #15 of 84 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Reliable? [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion/experience the Sun is one of the least reliable newspapers in the UK.
It may be true though... you never know...Smile

Elladan
Rivendell

Sep 7 2010, 6:55am

Post #16 of 84 (1336 views)
Shortcut
I wouldnt worry to much [In reply to] Can't Post

For a start most of the information in that story is unlikely or false, secondly this is the Sun, they have previously claimed Toby Maguire was to play the role, and ofc that Jedward had been asked to audition for the parts of Kili and Fili. I would assume this is just another random stab in the dark based of fan site chatter, if anything at all.

I dont know anything about TV or film contracts but seeing as Mr Freeman has, as far as I know, only been in 1 film with even a modicum of success I would assume he is either, A, not interested in a film career, or B, would jump at this opportunity despite a reasonably short contract for a BBC series, and so would find away to get out of it. There is after all always a way, even if it costs a small fortune.

I have to say I do like how none of the quotes in that story have any source even hinted at. That said the Sherlock series was good, if true, a 20 week filming schedule promises more than 3 episodes as before, which can be seen as a good thing.

Though I still dont think he is the best choice for Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Elladan on Sep 7 2010, 7:01am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 7 2010, 7:27am

Post #17 of 84 (1251 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

... both on the (lack of) reliability of The Sun - honestly, it's just a comic for grown-ups, no one should ever take its claims seriously - and on Martin Freeman not being the best choice for Bilbo... I think it is true that they're making a new series of Sherlock: I heard it being discussed on TV in an interview with the writers; but then, if I heard it millions of others did too, including The Sun.

So we wait, we wait.....

phredegar
Bree

Sep 7 2010, 7:39am

Post #18 of 84 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Your 'soaraway' Sun [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for expounding on the unreliability or at least lack of gravity in The Sun; for our members outside the UK this is a newspaper that appears to find it daily newsworthy to show that women posess breasts. I'm still an Ian Holm man - I think that the childlike tenour of the Hobbit will be matched cinemagraphically with a softness of tone and focus at first that could wipe away Sir Ian's age. I still haven't been able to find an official 'no' from him anyway - I'd be put out of my misery if anyone could help.
Mention Martin Freeman to me and I'm afraid I have the compelling memory of him in Love, Actually bouncing around naked with Stacey all day long, leaving her at the door after she said she wants him for Christmas...and walking away. No! That's not the spirit that defeats dragons!

Hellmistress
Lorien

Sep 7 2010, 9:33am

Post #19 of 84 (1282 views)
Shortcut
It's true ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that a second series of the brilliant SHERLOCK has been commissioned, and although the SUn is an atrocious and inherently untrustworthy rag, I have a sneaky suspicion that this is sadly true. Martin would have made a fabulous Bilbo.

As for Sir Ian ... I doubt that he would even be approached to play the role due to his age, irrelevant of how much it would cost to de-age him. Even if he was, the CG involved would be hellaciously expensive, as the character is the main focus of the storyline and he would be on-screen a lot. The cost would far outweigh the benefit. The role is very active and involving, and if you have to hire a stunt man or digitally create the more strenous bits for the film, then it just isn't economically viable. Recasting is the only way to go.

HM

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 7 2010, 10:01am

Post #20 of 84 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Conspiracy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe PJ leaked this info to enable the press to apply pressure on getting Freeman out of his contract?
Wishful thinking?

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 7 2010, 10:02am

Post #21 of 84 (1205 views)
Shortcut
This is the The Sun people, dont pay it much notice [In reply to] Can't Post

Huan71
Lorien

Sep 7 2010, 10:29am

Post #22 of 84 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Though salacious... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and a pretty nasty paper at times, the Sun does have a knack of getting hold of stories before other papers. so i'll not write this one off just yet!
I gotta say that i find martin Freeman to be most "Hobbit like" ! lol...So thought he'd have made a pretty good Bilbo!
Still, it's good news that it would seem things are moving ahead steadily with the film!

BTW...The other guy in the article, Benedict cumberbatch, is a very good actor. he's an unusual bloke with a unique character type. He was commended for his role as Stephen hawking a while back. one to watch for the future!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 7 2010, 10:50am

Post #23 of 84 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Just what are you implying? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the The Sun people, dont pay it much notice

Are you saying "The Sun" is a less the reputable daily tabloid? Surley you believed these other front page headlines:

UFO HITS WIND TURBINE
WORLD'S FATTEST BLOKE LIVES IN IPSWICH
LIFE ON MARS
BIGFOOT SIGHTING?...

And as we all know it was totally true when Toby Maguire quit Spiderman to play Bilbo...they just changed their minds about it. Wink
-That photoshop'd pic is just too funny.

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Sep 7 2010, 10:56am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7 2010, 12:04pm

Post #24 of 84 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Lol, Pipe Dream [In reply to] Can't Post

You crack me up. Laugh

No, thanks to the valued opinions of many of our board members from across the pond (looking from my side Wink) over the years, I thought it wise to put a very definite question mark after the Home Page headline reporting the story.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 7 2010, 12:13pm

Post #25 of 84 (1164 views)
Shortcut
I think I will wait for the official announcement...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.