Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD 9/1/10: "Let Smeagol look after Master."

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Sep 2 2010, 3:44am

Post #1 of 4 (392 views)
Shortcut
SCOD 9/1/10: "Let Smeagol look after Master." Can't Post

Here we are at Cirith Ungol with a very exhausted Frodo. And good old Smeagol is there to comfort him. Or so it seems.

1. Does Gollum do a good job acting like he is concerned for Frodo?
2. Sam is right to be suspicious of Gollum but has also shown his worst behavior towards him. Does Gollum play the victim of Sam's mistreatment well?
3. "The fat one will take it from you." A good scare tactic?
4. Other thoughts?

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 2 2010, 5:00pm

Post #2 of 4 (116 views)
Shortcut
Smeagol/Gollum at "their" best... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam may be exhausted....but Gollum is at his peak here, in manipulating and using all of them, including Smeagol to suit his own ends. These scenes were some of the ones where the interactions between the hobbits and Gollum came across as the most real and authentic to me; I totally forget there's any computer generating going on here. Everything, from the acting and look of Smeagol here, the setting, to the lighting, to the insidious kind of music, to the very close and intimate way that Smeagol goes after Frodo really works to show how Gollum has managed to worm his way right into Frodo's mind at this point, and totally twist his perceptions to the point he can't see clearly anymore. I give the film makers lots of kudos for the way they pulled this off.

Weaver

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 2 2010, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 4 (145 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can agree that this is a beautifully executed scene, and very much shows how Frodo's mind has been turned, both by Gollum and by the ring. Unfortunately, this scene is followed by "Go home Sam", which, while it may be technically well-done, sets my teeth on edge because of the way it flies in the face of book-canon. I'm no purist -- there are some changes from the book I like a lot -- but this isn't one of them.

Sort of depends on your definition of "real" and "authentic", I suppose. Unimpressed

Interesting, how in this shot, you can see the ring hanging out of Frodo's shirt, both a barrier between him and Gollum and a magnet. There are so many subtleties in these images!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 3 2010, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 4 (186 views)
Shortcut
'he can't see clearly anymore' [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that you put it that way because I thought Frodo/Elijah was remarkable in these scenes for the expression in his eyes. When he looks around or looks at Smeagol it's with this pained, disoriented look, as if he's trying so hard to see and think clearly, and he can't marshal his thoughts or focus his eyes properly. Figuratively 'can't see clearly' and literally too.

And I agree with you on Smeagol/Gollum, this was a high point in how he appears on screen. The close ups especially, you would think that he'd look less real up close, but it's the opposite, he looks so real in these scenes I have to remind myself he's not.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.