Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD 8/30/10: "I would not use the Ring"

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Aug 30 2010, 8:43pm

Post #1 of 8 (572 views)
Shortcut
SCOD 8/30/10: "I would not use the Ring" Can't Post

1. Book firsters, were you glad that line was put back in? Or was it too little, too late?
2. Why does Denethor assume that Frodo is half-witted?
3. Can you survive a grilling like this?
4. Any other thoughts?

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 30 2010, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 8 (297 views)
Shortcut
One of the better ROTK EE additions... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only additions in the ROTK EE that I think really helped the story are the ones, like this, that have to do with Faramir. The not only really round out his character, but the whole Denethor/Boromir/Faramir storyline is enhanced by helping us know as much about Faramir and Denethor as we do about Boromir.

I think David Wenham does a great job at looking both strong and vulnerable in his scenes with Denethor; he does a good job at showing both the noble and human side of the character.

Weaver

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Aug 31 2010, 12:35am

Post #3 of 8 (410 views)
Shortcut
Everytime I hear this line I think to myself: "Finally!" [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book firsters, were you glad that line was put back in? Or was it too little, too late? Well I'm not a book firster, but after multiple readings I like the way Faramir acts in TTT less and less, but then I remember that it was Peter Jackson's interpretation and there were a lot more things he could have really really ruined so I need to not be so nitpicky. But I am glad this line made it in, Faramir is one of my favorite characters and it's good to see him quote the books.
2. Why does Denethor assume that Frodo is half-witted? This always bothers me, I don't like that. But I am partial to hobbits.
I think it's just Denethor's state of mind at the present. He is under temptation and his head is not on straight, and he is a proud man who wants the Ring, anyone else is below him.
3. Can you survive a grilling like this? This was harsh, you should never say these kinds of things to your kid, no matter how old they are, especially later on about wishing their places had been exchanged. If ever he was a good parent he lost it.
4. Any other thoughts?Not at the moment, I would more but I must walk the dog (er poodle)

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Eldorion
Rohan

Aug 31 2010, 3:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (227 views)
Shortcut
A nice try... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book firsters, were you glad that line was put back in? Or was it too little, too late? It was better than nothing, but it couldn't undo Faramir's manhandling of physical abuse of Gollum in TTT, even after his supposed change of heart.
2. Why does Denethor assume that Frodo is half-witted? Because he's a stuck-up pig (more so in the movies).
3. Can you survive a grilling like this? Yes, but I'd probably want to go crawl into a whole and cry afterwards.
4. Any other thoughts? Much as I regret the changes from the (in my opinion better) original story; this, and the subsequent charge on Osgiliath, was a moving moment in the movie for me. I thought it was well-done.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2010, 4:12am

Post #5 of 8 (225 views)
Shortcut
mean ol' daddy :( [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Book firsters, were you glad that line was put back in? Or was it too little, too late?

'Cos he already met Pippin? Tongue
(Kidding! I don't think Pippin is half-witted though he was a bit silly at times Smile)

3. Can you survive a grilling like this?
Ouch! Saying Denethor treated Faramir harshly is a huge understatement.

4. Any other thoughts?
The scenes between Faramir and daddy dearest are tough to watch. Great acting, guys!

Celedor
Rivendell

Sep 1 2010, 4:22pm

Post #6 of 8 (370 views)
Shortcut
Questions and answers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad they put the line in ROTK rather than TTT. It would have been nice to have in the theatrical cut, but I understand why it wasn't there.

That's a line out of the book, and I think it reflects Minas Tirith's prejudice towards other cultures, particularly halflings.

-Celedor-
www.jwbraun.com

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 3 2010, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 8 (167 views)
Shortcut
Question #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you survive a grilling like this?

Really made me think ... and I have to admit, I think I'd really crumble. Which just goes to show Faramir's strength of character.

I was a movie firster so I can't comment on that line. But having not known what book Faramir was like, I was ok with movie Faramir. He came across as being a noble person, he just had a few moments of temptation/doubt which he overcame and then ... showed his quality :-). But movie Denethor was completely beyond me. I didn't understand that character and I thought the role was over-acted. The facial grimaces, the thundery/growly voice, the wild hair, the robes, it all struck me as something that would have worked as a stage performance, but IMO, as a film performance it was overdone.

IMO, of course :-).

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Sep 4 2010, 5:14am

Post #8 of 8 (384 views)
Shortcut
grace under pressure [In reply to] Can't Post

If by Faramir's behavior, you mean him being tempted by the Ring, I don't have a problem with that. Since the movie changed the reason for Boromir's mission to Rivendell, it takes an important clue away from Faramir to how vulnerable his brother is to the Ring (and how dangerous that thing really is). It's not until Sam talks about how the Ring made Boromir mad that Faramir starts waking up (I had this theory before reading the books so I was glad to find support for it when I finally got around to them) Smile. If you mean the treatment of Gollum, then I agree with you and Eldorion that the writers dropped the ball here. There was no point to the rangers doing that. At least we knew why Jack Bauer tortured his suspects. So as a movie-firster, I can tell you that this part doesn't even make internal sense. And in the EE, this part gets even more confusing.

Still, Faramir was my favorite character long before I read the books. All thanks to this scene. Faramir has so much courage if he's not only able tell Daddy that he won't touch the Ring but also that Boromir would have kept it for himself. If that were me, I'd barely be able to think.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.