Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dominic Monaghan speaks about 'The Hobbit' and PJ

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 27 2010, 11:27am

Post #1 of 19 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Dominic Monaghan speaks about 'The Hobbit' and PJ Can't Post

Check out this great video from the MTV News in which actor Dominic Monaghan (Merry) speaks about his friendship with Peter Jackson, his willingness to participate in 'The Hobbit' films, and why he thinks Peter Jackson is the only person who can direct. "I can't really imagine anyone other than Pete directing 'The Hobbit,'" Monaghan told MTV News. [Read Full Article]

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 27 2010, 6:15pm

Post #2 of 19 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Lovely response from Dom [In reply to] Can't Post

...probably similar to what many other LOTR actors feel, having been a part of the Middle Earth PJ created.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 27 2010, 6:48pm

Post #3 of 19 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Agree....But [In reply to] Can't Post

Those who think Tolkien created middle earth might take some exception to this. Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2010, 6:54pm

Post #4 of 19 (981 views)
Shortcut
Some neat insights [In reply to] Can't Post

One being that Dom feels like he could be "digitally recreated" and put in the film with no further participation from him. I'm sure he's exaggerating a bit but he makes some good points for those interested in The Hobbit merging well with LOTR (the film version).

I like that he feels no need to put LOTR characters that don't belong in the original story of The Hobbit. I think the closer the film makers stay to the book the more successful the movie will be.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Tim: Follow. But. Follow only if ye be TORNsibs of valour, for the making of The Hobbit is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no TORNsib yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of an A List veteran director lie strewn about its lair. So, brave TORNsibs, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for Hollywood studio bureaucratic ineptitude awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Studio Exec: And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
Studio CEO: This new learning amazes me, Studio Lapdog. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 27 2010, 7:18pm

Post #5 of 19 (919 views)
Shortcut
Silly shadowdog! You know I meant "created" the film ME! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2010, 7:34pm

Post #6 of 19 (946 views)
Shortcut
*waves madly* Hi Dom!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I love his voice! I love it that he's going to NZ for New Years! I wonder how many others will be there ;)

Isn't he a prince? I miss my boys. *heavy sigh*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2010, 7:38pm

Post #7 of 19 (977 views)
Shortcut
I think the only place [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see our LotR Hobbits would be at the very beginning if they have Bilbo... say... telling the story of his adventure to a gaggle of hobbitlings, like during the party in LotR, and them listening in. That's one way of getting Ian Holm into the film (sorta like Prince Bride narration by grandpa). Or at the end of film 2 where they could do something to bridge the 2 stories. So many possibilities!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Aug 27 2010, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 19 (940 views)
Shortcut
Really nice to hear from other LOTR cast. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 27 2010, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 19 (975 views)
Shortcut
I remember Dom saying in the extras [In reply to] Can't Post

That knowing Peter and his family had made him a better person. Im so pleased to see that that was not just hyperbole. I hope he and Peter have a great New Years party.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2010, 9:45pm

Post #10 of 19 (891 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it really heartening to hear him speak about Peter Jackson and the films like this after so long. Makes re-watching the films (and anticipating the new ones) even more enjoyable.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 27 2010, 10:13pm

Post #11 of 19 (930 views)
Shortcut
You make me smile.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Elven
Valinor

Aug 28 2010, 2:34am

Post #12 of 19 (914 views)
Shortcut
Pete has all the Paint .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an honourable Hobbit our Dom.

I loved what he said about Pete and Paint Wink
... and I agree - they can just zap him in the computer and put him in - that technology is avilable - maybe they'll do that with Sir Ian Holm for Bilbo - now that would shock a few people Wink

I cant really imagine anyone other than Pete directing The Hobbit. I mean you have to understand , the world Middle-Earth has already been created by Peter Jackson , by his special effects company, physical and digital, by his computer generated characters, so it would almost be impossible for a Director to come in and bring his own thing because how would he colour Middle-earth, how would he create Gollum without the codes, Pete has all those codes that makes Gollum the computer generated character and makes the Cave Troll and makes all these special effects they have all of of us in WETA, computer generated, and they can make a film with us now, we wouldnt have to show up, they can just pull up files of me, animate me, and put me in a film.

Its almost like asking someone to paint a picture but giving them no paint and Pete really has all the paint.

And unless he is either Producing or Directing, not only will the film not correlate with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I think the vast majority of the LoTR fans will boycott the film because Pete had so much to do with that franchise.

Love ya Dom!

Elven

Voorhas
Lorien

Aug 28 2010, 5:58am

Post #13 of 19 (917 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having seen the documentaries so many times, my mental image of all these folks is frozen in 2001 or 2002.

But no, time marches on...for Hobbits and mankind alike.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Aug 28 2010, 1:25pm

Post #14 of 19 (890 views)
Shortcut
Well said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the powers that be heed Dom's words. I would very much like to see "The Hobbit". -a cimematic painting masterpiece by Peter Jackson. Smile

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

Mithrandr
Lorien

Aug 30 2010, 5:28pm

Post #15 of 19 (839 views)
Shortcut
Great insight [In reply to] Can't Post

From Dom here, i think. It's moving to here the way he speaks about the rings and that life and the fact that he is spending new years in NZ. Im almost ashamed for admitting this, but by watching all the EE documentaries I kind of feel like I'm a part of the "family", if you understand my meaning..Watching the cast talking about the process of making the films and all the insight from those involved, you kind of feel like you were a part of it, even though i was sitting in my home in Oslo watching it :) So this was a much appreciated clip, thanks ! :)

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 31 2010, 7:15pm

Post #16 of 19 (741 views)
Shortcut
What's kinda nice [In reply to] Can't Post

is that I was told during the tour I was on when in NZ that Peter has bought several homes along the coastline right near his home where people can stay. No more hotels for visitors to the Jackson/Walsh clan. Privacy and relaxation. :) If others show up, I'm sure only one house will be necessary :D

OMG! Just thinking of ANYONE from that filmic family getting together just warms my heart!!!

sample sample

Unused Scenes

seriouslycgi
The Shire

Sep 1 2010, 11:17pm

Post #17 of 19 (686 views)
Shortcut
on a smaller scale [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive spent many summers growing up in nz where everyone shared time in a large (and sometimes small) house, sleeping on the floor with dozens of kids waiting for the sun to rise, and the sand to get warm. barbeque's for days, no hotels, just summer fun in natures best. you just need to have good friends in the right location, but they didnt have to own much. its a positive memory for me im sure PJ remembers similar to that from when he was young and has scaled it up as a successful adult.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2010, 5:00pm

Post #18 of 19 (688 views)
Shortcut
Oooooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

now that is an image of summers that is just perfect! I'll think of that all of the time now; and I'll bet you're absolutely right about Peter's version of the same great way of hanging out.

*high five* Thank you!!!! :D

sample sample

Unused Scenes

ZeddZulZorander
The Shire

Oct 5 2010, 12:03am

Post #19 of 19 (584 views)
Shortcut
Nice to hear those kind words from Dom [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun to see this video of a friend that Peter Jackson made while making the LotR movies. Because that's what he is, after all!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.